PDA

View Full Version : Safest swirl remover for soft Acura paint

Pages : [1] 2

emaxxman
12-30-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm not new to detailing but new to using abrasive polishes to remove swirls. I just got a new 2010 Acura TSX. From my understanding, the Honda/Acura paint is water-based and extremely soft. In fact, there are a lot of very minor swirls already (despite using the 2 bucket method along with ONR/Gold Class soap in a foam gun). The car is black and sits outside year round.

I'm going to try using Poorboy's Black Hole glaze first to hide the swirls. What would be the saftest, i.e. least aggressive and newbie friendly swirl remover that I can use if the glaze doesn't work out?

Also, ideally, I'd like to get to get something that can be used in full sunlight. I will try to stick with polishing in the spring if I can but I don't have a garage to use.

dublifecrisis
12-30-2009, 01:28 PM
glaze isn't a bad idea. Direct sunlight, softer paint - maybe Optimum Polish with a finishing pad. Optimum poli-seal, poor boys...these are sun friendly polishes. It's tough to keep a black DD car swirl free even if the paint isn't soft.

DLB
12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
The Poorboys Black Hole (as you already know) is just going to fill, not fix. That's its job though. That may be all you want since this is a daily driver that sits out.

As far as a mild swirl remover that is easy to use - I think the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (it is actually a light polish) would do the trick. The stuff is easy to work with IMO.

If you wanted to get more aggressive, you could use the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover as well before the FG.

You might also be satisfied with a product such as Swirl-X that is very user friendly.

DLB

emaxxman
12-30-2009, 02:14 PM
I should add that I have a PC and the following pads:
Lake Country flat orange pad - never used...bought it when I had my old 98 Accord.
Lake Country white polishing pad - used it along with some Meguiar's polish (m80?) on the Accord.
Lake Country grey finishing pad - use/used it to apply EX-P, NXT to Accord and current Odyssey.

Lake Country CCS red pad - used it to apply Klasse sealant glaze to new Acura. Bought the red because I didn't want to chance the grey pad marring the black paint.

emaxxman
12-30-2009, 02:14 PM
The Poorboys Black Hole (as you already know) is just going to fill, not fix. That's its job though. That may be all you want since this is a daily driver that sits out.

As far as a mild swirl remover that is easy to use - I think the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (it is actually a light polish) would do the trick. The stuff is easy to work with IMO.

If you wanted to get more aggressive, you could use the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover as well before the FG.

You might also be satisfied with a product such as Swirl-X that is very user friendly.

DLB

Can Swirl-X be used with a PC?

gjohn28
12-30-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm not new to detailing but new to using abrasive polishes to remove swirls. I just got a new 2010 Acura TSX. From my understanding, the Honda/Acura paint is water-based and extremely soft. In fact, there are a lot of very minor swirls already (despite using the 2 bucket method along with ONR/Gold Class soap in a foam gun). The car is black and sits outside year round.

I'm going to try using Poorboy's Black Hole glaze first to hide the swirls. What would be the saftest, i.e. least aggressive and newbie friendly swirl remover that I can use if the glaze doesn't work out?

Also, ideally, I'd like to get to get something that can be used in full sunlight. I will try to stick with polishing in the spring if I can but I don't have a garage to use.

I have two NHBP Acura's and don't consider either's paint to be "extremely soft." Not to say their paint isn't softer than some other car brands or even other black Acuras, but I've used everthing from M20 to Meg's UC with a DA, polishing and finishing pads. None of the product/pad combos were so aggressive on my "soft" paint that that I did more harm than good. A car's paint hardness and reaction to a particular product/application technique can vary not only between car makes, but within brands and like colors.

Whatever you decide just do a small test spot first, least-to-most aggressive product/pad combo and judge for yourself what works best. :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
12-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Yes, SwirlX can be used with a DA Polisher.

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
12-30-2009, 02:56 PM
A car's paint hardness and reaction to a particular product/application technique can vary not only between car makes, but within brands and like colors.

That is a very accurate statement. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to make broad sweeping statements about paint hardness or softness about any one model or brand of vehicle.

The best way to find out if you're cars paint is hard or soft is to go out into the garage and start working on it and see what you can do.

Whatever you decide just do a small test spot first, least-to-most aggressive product/pad combo and judge for yourself what works best. :xyxthumbs:

Great advice! :dblthumb2:

Can't remember how many people I've walked through a process to undo all the damage they did to their car's paint by not doing a Test Spot first but instead applying something to the entire car only to wipe it off and find out it made the paint look worse.

I always read on forums, people stating Honda's have soft paint. I never go by that kind of information, instead I wait till I'm doing a test spot on the actual car and determine the softness or hardness from my results.

:)

RaskyR1
12-30-2009, 03:25 PM
I have a '08 TSX and both M205 as well as the Menzerna polishes work very well for me. UF on the rotary brings the gloss up another notch too.

emaxxman
12-30-2009, 03:36 PM
One last question (not really related to the polishes). Is it possible to create "clear coat failure" thru polishing? My Accord had extreme clear coat failure in its last 2 years. This was about 2 years after I had last polished it with M80.

That is why I am sort of apprehensive of polishing my brand new car.

mcpp66
12-30-2009, 03:40 PM
One last question (not really related to the polishes). Is it possible to create "clear coat failure" thru polishing? My Accord had extreme clear coat failure in its last 2 years. This was about 2 years after I had last polished it with M80.

Good question.........I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

RaskyR1
12-30-2009, 03:47 PM

How old was the Accord and were you the only owner?

It's VERY possible that if you picked up the car used that the previous owner had done some heavy correction and they removed a significant amount of clear

M80 is a mild polish and when used with a DA and a polishing pad will likely not even remove a measurable amount of clear.

emaxxman
12-30-2009, 03:52 PM
How old was the Accord and were you the only owner?

It's VERY possible that if you picked up the car used that the previous owner had done some heavy correction and they removed a significant amount of clear

M80 is a mild polish and when used with a DA and a polishing pad will likely not even remove a measurable amount of clear.

The car was a 1998 green bought new by me. It sat outside the entire time. For many years, before I knew better, I washed it with dish detergent and automatic car washes and then dried with regular bath towels.

The car in 2000 was polished by a detail shop. My neighbor in our apt complex swept the shared garage, got dirt/sand/dust all over the car. He then dry wiped it down. There were fine scratches all over the car.

The clear coat started to fail in 2007. The roof was almost gone when I sold it last month (Nov. 2009).

RaskyR1
12-30-2009, 04:33 PM
The car was a 1998 green bought new by me. It sat outside the entire time. For many years, before I knew better, I washed it with dish detergent and automatic car washes and then dried with regular bath towels.

The car in 2000 was polished by a detail shop. My neighbor in our apt complex swept the shared garage, got dirt/sand/dust all over the car. He then dry wiped it down. There were fine scratches all over the car.

The clear coat started to fail in 2007. The roof was almost gone when I sold it last month (Nov. 2009).

At that age being subject to the sun most it's life I'd say it's not too surprising that it failed. It's also likely that the shop removed enough clear in 2000 which allowed for premature failure.

As long as you are only using mild polishes on your new car you are going to be fine using them once or twice a year. It's when you do heavy corrections like a rotary and a wool pad with a heavy compound that you need to be more cautious.

Once you correct the paint make sure you use proper washing techniques so that you don't need to correct very often and the paint should last a long time.:props:

Mike Phillips
12-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Was the car exposed to the sun a lot?

Lots of people polish their car's paint and don't have clear coat failure?

?