PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a trunk???

PAR Detailing
12-30-2009, 02:11 AM
Ok guys there is one area of detailing that I am totally stumped on, I cant seem to get trunks to look great. Im not talking about the trunks with actual carpet, but the ones with that "velcro" PITA! I use a shop vac now and it doesnt get much up. I try scrubbing the trunk with apc+ and a brush and sucking it up and I still cant get all the stuff that is stuck in the fibers.

How do youall clean these types of trunks?
I am at a loss and would love to bet this area of my detailing better!
Jon

DLB
12-30-2009, 07:58 AM
I suppose you are talking about the no-nap All-Weather "carpet" that is commonly found in trunks that has the "fuzzy" fibers everywhere usually. Most times it is gray?

If we are thinking of the same thing, you're right, it is a pain. The only way I have found to get it clean is to get in a comfy position with your vac in one hand, and start picking all the junk out with your fingers with the other hand. Takes time, but I don't know a better way myself.

DLB

CEE DOG
12-30-2009, 09:49 AM
What about wrapping some duct tape around your hand and rolling your hand across it? Or making a homemade lint brush but with Duct tape... much stronger

That makes me think: I was watching some show a couple months ago and they were showing all the legends of duct tape. Oh, I think it was mythbusters. Anyway, they picked up a car with I think it was like 40 or 90 pieces of duck tape. I know I thought they meant they were going to wrap it underneath. But that was not the case. They just stuck it to the passenger side and then ran it acroos the top to a crane bar and then back down and stuck it to the drivers side as well. they did that with each piece and then picked up the car by the duct tape using a crane or something. Very cool! I bet you tube has it. Oh, they also made a cannon out of duct tape. Sorry, I got off topic.

PAR Detailing
12-30-2009, 11:03 AM
DLB those are exactly the trunks I was referring to. I havent thought of a duct tape lint roller before, Ill give that a try
thanks guys
Jon

David Fermani
12-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Use a stiff brush to loosen the debris up >> Vaccum>> Clean

Duct tape picks up the topical stuff and won't reach deep into the nap of the carpet.

frosty
12-30-2009, 11:31 AM
What about a hand held vacuum with a rotating brush on it. Think we have a old Hoover we use on the steps. I haven't ever run across what you're referring too so I haven't tried it.

Not sure of the quality of this particular product but something like it.

Sidewinder Hand Vac - Hoover (http://www.hoover.com/product.aspx?model=S1156&ds=false)

Mike Phillips
12-30-2009, 12:40 PM
This is just another example of car manufactures using a material that the average person can't easily work on.

I've used the painfully slow method shared above, that is after general vacuuming, picking out the stubborn stuff with my fingers while the vacuum hose is close by to remove it out of the trunk once loosened.

:)

Impressions
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I've found if I use my crevice tool on my vac, tip it at a 45 degree angle to the carpet, but allow it to take in air as well as carpet,I make short but fast passes the stuck stuff works its way out, just finished a dash mat and they are very similar to the trunk carpets that I use the same method.....hope this helps

JohnnyC
12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
If you really want to impress just go out and get a roll of that stuff (it's pretty cheap) and replace it with new lol

Matt
12-30-2009, 11:11 PM
What about a hand held vacuum with a rotating brush on it. Think we have a old Hoover we use on the steps. I haven't ever run across what you're referring too so I haven't tried it.

That's what I was thinking off.

A lot of vacuum cleaners come with one, I know our old Husqvarna vacuum had one. The Miele one we have now doesn't and the Husqvarna one doesn't fit it =[

As has been suggested, duct tape is a cheap solution, but if it doesn't work, you could try find a "turbo head" (that was what they called it) that fits your vacuum.

RaskyR1
12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Ok guys there is one area of detailing that I am totally stumped on, I cant seem to get trunks to look great. Im not talking about the trunks with actual carpet, but the ones with that "velcro" PITA! I use a shop vac now and it doesnt get much up. I try scrubbing the trunk with apc+ and a brush and sucking it up and I still cant get all the stuff that is stuck in the fibers.

How do youall clean these types of trunks?
I am at a loss and would love to bet this area of my detailing better!
Jon

Air compressor and a vacuum! :props:

Frank787
12-31-2009, 01:36 AM
I've had good luck with putting a brush onto my porter cable 7424XP and having the oscillations cause the debris to bounce up from the carpet then use the vacuum to suck it up.