PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner then clay or clay then cleaner???

Pages : [1] 2 3

michal101
12-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi All,

I have a 2000 Acura with decent white paint and I used a clay bar 2 months ago and really liked how it cleaned the painted surface and made the white really pop. Now my question; if I want to really clean my paint job do I use a cleaner like Meguiar's #1 and then use the clay bar or vice versa? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

DARK HORSE
12-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Wash, then clay, then paint cleaner,

dublifecrisis
12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
clay then cleaner. The idea here is to use the clay to lift embedded contaminents and grime off the paint before you apply a chemical/abrasive cleaner. The clay will remove things from the paint surface that could otherwise further damage the paint as you go buffing away with the paint cleaner/polish.

Mike Phillips
12-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Ditto

First you remove the contaminants off the top of the surface and then you go for the below surface defects.

:)

michal101
12-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Ditto

First you remove the contaminants off the top of the surface and then you go for the below surface defects.

Thanks everybody for your answers!!! This is my first post and I accidentally came across this website about a week ago and it has been a great resource.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays, Mike

HighEndDetail
12-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Wash, then clay, then paint cleaner,
:iagree:

Will you be machine polishing also.

michal101
12-30-2009, 09:46 AM
:iagree:

Will you be machine polishing also.

Not right now...do not own any machine polishers yet. I am somewhat new to this and am not really sure what machine polishing can bring to the table without incurring a decent amount of money for the machine, pads different polishes etc!

Thanks though and why do you ask?

Mike Phillips
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Remember, claying removes anything on the surface, this includes wax so after claying, at a minimum you have to apply a wax or paint sealant.

Same for any kind of compound, paint cleaner or polish....

Lowprofile
12-31-2009, 12:40 AM
clay then cleaner. The idea here is to use the clay to lift embedded contaminents and grime off the paint before you apply a chemical/abrasive cleaner. The clay will remove things from the paint surface that could otherwise further damage the paint as you go buffing away with the paint cleaner/polish.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Clay is for surface contaminates, Pre-cleaner gets down into the micro-pores. If you reverse this your just gonna spread the surface contaminates all over the paint. OUCH :)

sullysdetailing
12-31-2009, 07:32 AM
Clay first. The Clay will remove any thing that is contaminating your paint, like tree sap or fallout.

Where you looking to finish with Megs #1? Because Megs #1 is not a Paint Cleaner you can finish with. Most Paint Cleaners polish the vehicle remove minor imperfections and wax they vehicle at the same time.

Megs #1 is not a paint cleaner but a compound that finishes like a polish. So it is a 1-Step product that you will have to finish with an LSP.

michal101
12-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Clay first. The Clay will remove any thing that is contaminating your paint, like tree sap or fallout.

Where you looking to finish with Megs #1? Because Megs #1 is not a Paint Cleaner you can finish with. Most Paint Cleaners polish the vehicle remove minor imperfections and wax they vehicle at the same time.

Megs #1 is not a paint cleaner but a compound that finishes like a polish. So it is a 1-Step product that you will have to finish with an LSP.

Actually starting with Megs #1 then Megs #2 and then Megs # 16 or Megs Gold class or Megs Carnauba Wax. This method has been good to me over the years. What are your suggestions? I am willing to learn and I am all ears!!!

Also, am I missing something on machine polishing my car? Does it really make your car shine more or is it just less work and elbow grease? Right now I think that I need the cardio workout...LOL

Mike

Rsurfer
01-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Actually starting with Megs #1 then Megs #2 and then Megs # 16 or Megs Gold class or Megs Carnauba Wax. This method has been good to me over the years. What are your suggestions? I am willing to learn and I am all ears!!!

Also, am I missing something on machine polishing my car? Does it really make your car shine more or is it just less work and elbow grease? Right now I think that I need the cardio workout...LOL

MikeYes it will make your car shine more (a lot more) and yes it will be less elbow grease ( a lot less). You can get your cardio workout at the gym. If your happy with the results you are getting as stated above, by all means stick with it. However, if you are looking for the maximum shine and protection of your paint...then you need to get into machine polishing. Yes there is an expense, but what hobby doesn't. The end results are very rewarding. Who knows you might become an AutoGeek. Welcome to the forum.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-01-2010, 01:44 AM

The only thing that you have correctly stated here is that clay will remove contaminates.

Megs #1 is a compound and does not finish down like a polish at all. It is not a one step polish. The stuff is like clay with sand in it.

Paint cleaners do not remove defects but fill them if they were not taken out from polishing the paint. Also paint cleaners do not wax either. How can something that is cleaning the paint add wax at the sametime?

I understand you are trying to help but giving someone incorrect information hurts even more. I would suggest researching said products and actually use them for a little bit to get to know them before commenting on them. Just a piece of advice so you do not look foolish on the forums when trying to give someone advice about a product.

Back to the op, trichard and RSurfer gave you the best advice so far.

michal101
01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes it will make your car shine more (a lot more) and yes it will be less elbow grease ( a lot less). You can get your cardio workout at the gym. If your happy with the results you are getting as stated above, by all means stick with it. However, if you are looking for the maximum shine and protection of your paint...then you need to get into machine polishing. Yes there is an expense, but what hobby doesn't. The end results are very rewarding. Who knows you might become an AutoGeek. Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate the info and that would be my next line of questioning...what machine polisher, pads, other waxs, polishes and etc for machine waxing will I need? A good beginner laundry list of items that I won't outgrow in the next couple of years.

Thanks, Mike

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-02-2010, 12:45 AM
A pc with Megs 105/205 with some 5.5 inch pads. I would suggest atleast 3-5 of the orange, white, and blue pads. As far as wax goes, if the vehicles sit outside I would suggest a sealant like Wolfgang. Souveran, Poorboys Natty's Blue and Dodo would be a nice choice of waxes to try. One thing to remember is that wax or sealant do not add anything to the finish since that is done in your polishing, but they are there to protect all your hard work.