PDA

View Full Version : what did i do wrong

Pages : [1] 2

87rx7chick
12-29-2009, 08:10 PM
so my scion XD is covered in swirls. right before thanks giving, it was night time and i had a 4 gallon bucket filled with 3-4 gallons of water. i put 2 ounces of Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html) into about 3-4 gallons of watter. i had something similar to Cobra Blue Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt: Microfiber Wash Mitt, car wash, shampoo mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-blue-microfiber-mitt.html) only i bought it at a local autozone. i dunked the mitt into the solution went over one panel from top to bottom and placed the mitt into the bucket and used my other hand to agitate and rinse i then used a CLEAN never used microfiber to wipe down the wet panel. microfiber i bought from cosco a pack of 24 for 10$ very plush microfiber.

after washing the whole car as i had seen at a local shop. making sure to agitate the mitt well in the water before moving to next area. my microfiber cloth was still clean, as it should be with a no - rinse wash. the microfiber cloth does not get dirty only the mitt.

i then used miguiars clay bar on the rear of my car and then the front of my car.

after i covered the car with a layer of miguiars NXT liquid wax and the next day day i had a lovely deep glossy car.

i did nothing to the car untill 2 days ago. we had alot of rain come and go and i had not washed the car since, i brought it to a coil wash next to my work, which i had always used in the past. and i sprayed down the car with pre-soak, soap, high power rinse and spot free rinse like i always do, i never use the brush. now i know this car wash removes waxes but its been so cold, and the car is a lease so i dont really do much for it.

heres the problem

after letting the car dry for a few min i noticed the whole car had HORRIBLE swirls all over it. worse then after the no rinse wash. i know NXT wax has alot of fillers and apparently it hid what when i used no rinse

i barley had any swirls on this scion before i washed it with no- rinse. i never use any towels or anything on my scion because i know how easy it is to get swirl marks.

where is the problem. is it my microfiber cloth. is it the mitt. is it the no-rinse or WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

i also have swirls on my rx7 after detailing it with meguiars quick detail and a clean never used before microfiber cloth... apparently the lubricants arnt doing the job?

DLB
12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Perhaps using too much pressure with the microfiber? Dunno, just an idea.

Are you positive that the Scion didn't have swirls before the ONR wash?

Since you recently achieved a swirl free finish on your RX7, it seems like it should be pretty easy to pin point the problem there. If a QD with some microfiber is the only thing that has touched it at this point since that, I would have to guess either bad MF, or using it too harshly. Or, using the QD when you needed a wash.

DLB

loudog2
12-29-2009, 09:50 PM
-Not using the 2 bucket method??
-I always use a coin spray wash before ONR washes to get large debris off.
-What grade clay did you use???

Mike Phillips
12-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Everything will come down to how was the paint touched and what was it touched with.

One thing for sure, the nicer you make a finish look the more work it is to maintain the level of finish you've achieved and the more any defect or defects will stand out in the future.

NXT can fill but it can't work miracles. Technically, ANY wax or paint sealant that works is filling because it's coating over the surface this it's filling.

:)

87rx7chick
12-30-2009, 01:36 PM
-Not using the 2 bucket method??
-I always use a coin spray wash before ONR washes to get large debris off.
-What grade clay did you use???

i never read about the 2 bucket method its not in the "how to" section on autogeek store site.

grade of clay? no idea its what you can buy from autozone. the gray clay from miguiars. but i only used it on the back and the front.

i did have swirls on the scion before but nothing nearly this bad.

is there a such thing as poorly made microfiber? this stuff is pretty darn plush... and brand new.

DARK HORSE
12-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes there are different qualities of MF (I would not use ones from Cosco, Autozone, etc); also did you wash your MF towels prior to using them? You don't know what they have been subjected to after leaving the manufacturer and prior to you recieving them (they may have collected dust, sand, or other contaminates while along there journey to you). However at this point I would also be concerned as (previously asked) about proper wash techniques?

-2 bucket method
-Use a coin spray wash before ONR washes to get large debris off
-Using the QD when you needed a wash.

jake66
12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Beware of the microfiber towels from the box stores. We were using some of the yellow towels from Sam's, probably similar to the pack from Cosco. We foung out we were putting swirls into the paint after polishing them out with Menz nano. We then switched to Cobra and griots towels and had much better luck.

sullysdetailing
12-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I can think of 3 things

1. You didnt use 2 buckets or rinse the vehicle before hand
2. You used to much pressure apply the wax
3. You used to much pressure removing the wax

ZoranC
12-30-2009, 08:03 PM
If I had to bet my bet would be on Costco microfibers.

Matt
12-30-2009, 10:53 PM
It could be that the "never used" microfibers still had bits of grit in them. I would always recomend washing any microfibers before first use.

It could also be that the microfibers were of a bad quality and caused the swirls.

Last but not least, the microfiber mit. I use these when washing my car with a normal wash shampoo, but when washing using ONR or DP RW&G, I **ALWAYS** use a sheepskin mitt as there is nowhere for the grit to hide if it gets among your microfiber mitt. It will be dragged along your paint untill you next dunk it in the wash bucket. (A sheepskin is thick and fluffy so the grit can migrate to away from the paint untill the mitt is next rinsed in the bucket). I only feel safe using the sheepskin mitt when using ONR.

Maybe you could polish the trunk lid so it's nearly 100% swirl free, then tape off 3 sections, each section has different products (as in wash media) used on it with ONR.

For the first section, try the wash mitt and then don't touch the paint, just sheet the water off with a hose and see if you can see any swirls left there.

Then for the next section, use a different mitt, and dry with the microfibers. Then for the 3rd section.....well that can be the control, wash that as you would with a normal shampoo solution. Hopefully that will help you pinpoint what is causing the swirls.

feslope
12-30-2009, 11:12 PM
If I had to bet my bet would be on Costco microfibers.I'll take your bet. I use them with no problem. They have been written up in other forums and no one has had a problem with them. Highly unlikely Costco or Sams mf is your problem.

gewb
12-31-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking the wash mitt and technique, especially if you didn't rinse it after each application (aka two bucket method or derivation thereof).

Regards,
GEWB

87rx7chick
01-01-2010, 02:52 PM
every one's information is confusing and contradicting.

no i made the mistake of not using 2 buckets, but at the shop i bought the product from he was not using 2 buckets. and was able to wash a new audi just fine using the same microfiber mitt i had bought. maybe different company but looked the same to me.

he did not rinse the vehicle prior to his washing and i followed his advice on how to wash and dry. its not rocket science.

there is so much back talk and contradicting information in this thread.

the microfiber were in a plastic wrapped package.

but thats ok. i will toss every ones advice out the window and never let another microfiber touch my car and just go to the shop and have them work on my cars instead, and teach me there. mods can close this thread. its useless to me.

ya'll need to work together not work against each other... you'll confuse the FUK out of new people like myself.

loudog2
01-01-2010, 02:57 PM
First off, RELAX!!!

Second, if a couple people want to argue about costco microfiber towel. So what!

Most of the posts on here told you to use the 2 bucket method and rinse the car before using the washing. How is that so confusing?

Matt
01-01-2010, 07:44 PM
every one's information is confusing and contradicting.

ya'll need to work together not work against each other... you'll confuse the FUK out of new people like myself.

It's just like the Boars Hair brush, some people love them, some people swear they put swirls in their finish. Everybody has an opinion!
You need to pinpoint exactly what it was the caused the swirls. But this will take experimentation by yourself.

First off, RELAX!!!

Agreed 100%