PDA

View Full Version : 4" pads on 3" polisher?

Pages : [1] 2

CEE DOG
12-26-2009, 12:06 AM
I have a 3.5" backing plate with a few 4" pads. I just got the flex 3401. I no longer have the Griots 6" which I was going to switch back and forth on the backing plates. SO, I am looking at my options for polishing the areas that are too small for my Flex.

If anybody can answer any of the following questions I would be grateful.

Should I purchase the 3" Griots or is there another option?
Does that Griots 3" polisher handle the 4" pads?
Will it accept the 3.5" backing plate?
Should I get some kind of adapter and use my drill?

I read Mike's Griots 3" sticky review and have some reservations based on some reply's but I would love some other options as well.
Feed back please

CEE DOG
12-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Allright, I have done some more reading and I found one of the kits with the 3" polisher actually shows 4" pads with it so I am thinking I won't need that 3.5" backing plate but the 4" pads will work. Not sure how well they work. Not sure if that 3.5" plate could be used as a spare.

Rsurfer
12-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Allright, I have done some more reading and I found one of the kits with the 3" polisher actually shows 4" pads with it so I am thinking I won't need that 3.5" backing plate but the 4" pads will work. Not sure how well they work. Not sure if that 3.5" plate could be used as a spare.
Do you have a DA? If so, use it on that.

ScottB
12-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Is the 3 inch polishes strong enough to handle the larger backing plate and pad without bogging, that might be my first question. This is why I kept my original PC, for smaller 4 inch pads.

CEE DOG
12-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Do you have a DA? If so, use it on that.
Only the Flex

Is the 3 inch polishes strong enough to handle the larger backing plate and pad without bogging, that might be my first question. This is why I kept my original PC, for smaller 4 inch pads.

Yes, that is an important question

MikeyC
12-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Interesting question. I just bought the Griot's 3" because I have a Flex. Along with the 3" polisher I bought some 4" hydro-tech pads. If the machine can't handle the larger pads then I'll have to exchange them for some of the 3" Griot's pads.

TroyScherer
12-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I have the same question.
I just received the Gen II - Griot's Garage Mini Polisher as a christmas gift as well as CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit. I gotta love my wife. She wasn't sure of everything she was getting me but she sure did try. I am wondering if the Griot's mini has enough power to use the 4" CCS pads; or should I try and return the kit for some 3" pads? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rsurfer
12-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Good question for MP...I'm sure he has tried it out.

A4 1.8tqm
12-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I am wondering if the Griot's mini has enough power to use the 4" CCS pads

X2

Z06-Goose
12-26-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a 3.5" backing plate with a few 4" pads. I just got the flex 3401. I no longer have the Griots 6" which I was going to switch back and forth on the backing plates. SO, I am looking at my options for polishing the areas that are too small for my Flex.

If anybody can answer any of the following questions I would be grateful.

Should I purchase the 3" Griots or is there another option?
Does that Griots 3" polisher handle the 4" pads?
Will it accept the 3.5" backing plate?
Should I get some kind of adapter and use my drill?

I read Mike's Griots 3" sticky review and have some reservations based on some reply's but I would love some other options as well.
Feed back pleaseI have the Griots mini buffer and I use both the Griots 3" and the 3.5" pads without problems.
I rather use the 3" pad, but I als have used the 3.5" since I got them from a friend when I was in need of some small pads. I gave it a try, and they're just fine...

Z06-Goose
12-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Is the 3 inch polishes strong enough to handle the larger backing plate and pad without bogging, that might be my first question. This is why I kept my original PC, for smaller 4 inch pads.Despite being a high OPM machine, the Griots mini buffer is not powerful enough to remove some scratches

It's a very handy machine to remove most swirls on tight spaces, but you still need to work it pretty good.
I use mine mostly on headlights restoraation and narrow pillars

img
12-26-2009, 09:58 PM
I have tried them all, Best bet, buy the polishing pal, and use the pads that come with it. Glad to see you got the flex.

CEE DOG
12-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I have tried them all, Best bet, buy the polishing pal, and use the pads that come with it. Glad to see you got the flex.

Thank you!

CEE DOG
12-26-2009, 10:40 PM

What in particular would make you choose the polishin pal over that 3" Griots machine?

Thanks again

WRAPT C5Z06
12-27-2009, 05:46 AM
I just ordered the 3" Griot's polisher. After thinking about, it was an easy decision. It will come in very handy on most panels of my z06.