PDA

View Full Version : Old, old leather restore questions

86TonaZ
12-25-2009, 07:07 PM
First, Happy Holidays to everyone.

I have a car which is in need of reupholstry. It's black leather and was built in 1985. So the leather is old and probably hasn't been well cared for 'at all' at least for the past 8 to 10 years. To delay the replacement of the rear seats it was suggested that I do a thorough cleaning and conditioning of the rear seat and 'who knows', maybe it'll be fine. At least for a little till I can afford to get them reupholstered.

So the question is, what is the best products to use to give the rear seats a good, thorough cleaning and conditioning. The leather is black.

olbear1962
12-25-2009, 07:25 PM
First, Happy Holidays to everyone.

I have a car which is in need of reupholstry. It's black leather and was built in 1985. So the leather is old and probably hasn't been well cared for 'at all' at least for the past 8 to 10 years. To delay the replacement of the rear seats it was suggested that I do a thorough cleaning and conditioning of the rear seat and 'who knows', maybe it'll be fine. At least for a little till I can afford to get them reupholstered.

So the question is, what is the best products to use to give the rear seats a good, thorough cleaning and conditioning. The leather is black.

Is your leather coated or natural? Lots of good advice on this forum with a bit of searching.
I would look a Leatherique products, work extremely well, check out their website they also do custom dye matching.

86TonaZ
12-25-2009, 07:30 PM
It's natural but dried and shrunk. If the best I can get is clean and a uniform color, with perhaps a softer leather I'd be hapy with that until I can get the seat reupholstered.

olbear1962
12-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Leatherique is amazing, it will revitalize old dry leather etc. I love their products.

86TonaZ
12-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks, I'm in the process of putting an order together with Autogeek and want to try and get the best result possible with this older seat.

cnfowler
12-25-2009, 08:54 PM
When I bought my '95 Range Rover, the seats were incredibly dry. The leather had not been taken care of, but luckily were in great shape. The leather was dry and stiff. I cleaned the seats using an all purpose cleaner and a terry cloth rag. After cleaning, I used Lexol leather conditioner and put it on really heavy. I left it for 24 hours and then put on another really heavy coat. I left that for another 24 hours. I wiped off the excess (very little, the leather sucked it up) with a terry cloth rag. It turned out great and the leather is extremely supple now. I maintain it by conditioning the seats every two months.

Colin

christian900se
12-25-2009, 11:24 PM
I have tried many different leather products for my 1996 Saab, and Leatherique is by far and away the best. I used to use Lexol and was fairly happy with the results but Leatherique blew it away. LTT is also a highly regarded brand as well.

pushtiulk
02-06-2010, 03:11 PM
go with leatherique, you will not be dissapointed.

ScottB
02-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Leatherique indeed for leather ... but remember alot of cars have vinyl interiors from back at that time. Maybe Vinylx then ?>?