PDA

View Full Version : QD vs Waterless Wash

Jenn1270
12-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Believe it or not, we had a white Christmas in Dallas. Needless to say I've got sand and salt all over the sides of the pilot. It is best to hit this with a QD (have UQD) or a waterless wash (have DP). What are the pros and cons of a QD vs a waterless wash?

Jenn

Rsurfer
12-25-2009, 05:53 PM
A QD is for light dust and a waterless wash is for lightly dirty surfaces. Having sand and salt on your paint should be washed.

A4 1.8tqm
12-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Agreed

trencher7
12-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Glad you asked this. I also just moved to the Dallas area and the Christmas snow was great timing.

I have some Poorboy's Waterless Wash which is great. Just spray and wipe and it smells great. But I bought some ONR and thought I might use it in some degree of dilution the same way once I run out of the Poorboy's. I wasn't sure if it would work as well or what it would be lacking to do the same job. If lubrication is the issue, I would think ONR would do it. Anyone else use ONR as a waterlass spray wash?

Jenn1270
12-25-2009, 06:50 PM
The DP WW seems to work well. I've not used ONR but I HATE to get out the water hose and make a mess, so the waterless and rinseless methods work better for me.
I'm interested in hearing what others think. I just need to get some bigger microfibers because I soaked at least 1 a quarter panel.

Jenn

02blackout
12-25-2009, 07:06 PM
ONR is actually very convenient. Just use the traditional two-bucket method in your garage. Fill up the buckets using water from the tap.

Jenn1270
12-25-2009, 07:10 PM
When using the ONR two bucket method, do you dry with a regular microfiber or a waffle one?

02blackout
12-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Waffleweave!

This also works perfectly when using ONR:
Lake Country Foam Car Wash Sponge, big blue wash sponge, lake country sponge, lake country grout sponge, car wash, shampoo (http://www.autogeek.net/car-wash-sponge.html)

Rsurfer
12-25-2009, 07:44 PM
We are talking about 3 different cleaning methods. Qd= light dust..spray and wipe. Waterless wash=no water..spray and wipe. Rinsless wash= water to wash, but no rinse water, just wipe clean.

Jenn1270
12-25-2009, 07:49 PM
So for my needs, the QD route is not the way to go.

The question is Waterless vs rinseless. Pros / Cons

Do you use waffle weave to dry both?

Jenn

Old Tiger
12-25-2009, 08:56 PM

Jenn

With snow you usually get the bonus of salt. I would recommend a modern BRUSHLESS automatic car wash that also does the undercarriage. After the car wash, go home and finish the job with ONR or a WW and then top with a good DS. I like Optimum Instant DS or FK425. Just my $.02 FWIW.

DARK HORSE
12-25-2009, 11:03 PM

Jenn

If you really want to maintain your car's finish;
No, do not use a QD, or waterless wash (spray and wipe) if you have sand or salt on the car. If you have sand or salt on your car a traditional wash is BEST. At the very least if you are going to do an ONR wash, rinse off the paint by flooding it with water first to break loose as much sand and salt prior to the ONR wash. (not that I advocate regular ONR washes but) Tip- try using distilled water with your ONR instead of tap, much less contaminates.