PDA

View Full Version : How often?

GG4411
12-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey guys,
I was just wondering how often everyone does a "full" detail to their car, as in washing, claying, polishing, sealing, waxing, etc....
I'm not sure how often I should do a "full" detail, so I thought maybe their was a rule of thumb or something.
A/nyway, in between details, how does everyone clean their car? I've heard many methods from friends, but I think this would be a much better place to ask.
Thanks again everyone, and Merry Christmas!

Irish
12-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I give my black daily driver a full detail every spring. It's more than enough if you care for your care properly.

As far as the maintenance is concerned; two bucket method with grit guards, your favorite shampoo (I prefer Optimum for regular washing), and a Cobra wash mitt. For wax I've come to really like Natty's Blue. Looks great on dark colors and two coats generally lasts me about 5 weeks.

Mirror Detailing
12-25-2009, 01:17 PM
My Mach 1 I sold back in sept. for a mild detail once a month(wash, clay, sealed, waxed, engine bay full cleaned and dressed!) then every 1-3 months got a full detail.

Mike Phillips
12-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Kind of depends upon what conditions the paint is exposed to and what level of finish you expect.

So much difference in the amount of work needed to restore or maintain a finish that's parked outside all the time and a finish that's parked in a garage whenever it's not in use.

:)

wn1998
12-25-2009, 02:47 PM
typically I clay 1 time per year and wax 2 times per year. I like to use a sealant since they typically last longer. I also use a spray wax (Lucas Slick Mist) after every wash. It only takes 5 mins for the lucas and adds a little more protection.

YankeeFan
12-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I polish once a year, soon as the weather get nice during the Spring. I wish clear coat was thick enough to do it more times. For the most part I clay, apply sealant and wax twice a year. In the spring I try to use a wax that just looks good. During the fall I use a wax like Collinite to last me through most of the winter. I use Duragloss sealant both times

Howard

christian900se
12-26-2009, 03:17 PM
I tend to strip any wax off and reapply every month or if I can't resist to get a new wax or LSP and use that. Polishing comes as needed, but generally once a year is plenty but my car is always garaged and never driven in foul weather.

On my parent's cars, I tend to clay and wax every few months or so with Collinite 476 or 915 and use spray waxes in between. I polish them maybe once a year or maybe 18 months. I never let any of these cars get even close to filthy so I feel that helps alot.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Kind of depends upon what conditions the paint is exposed to and what level of finish you expect.

So much difference in the amount of work needed to restore or maintain a finish that's parked outside all the time and a finish that's parked in a garage whenever it's not in use.

If you had a silver GM SUV that's parked outside 24/7 in southern CA, how often would you machine polish it? :)

DARK HORSE
12-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I tend to strip any wax off and reapply every month or if I can't resist to get a new wax or LSP and use that. Polishing comes as needed, but generally once a year is plenty but my car is always garaged and never driven in foul weather.

I never let any of these cars get even close to filthy so I feel that helps alot.

:dblthumb2:

MikeyC
12-26-2009, 04:20 PM

:iagree:

You do it when it needs to be done basically. How often I polish my silver car kept outside 24/7 in MA has no relevance to how often you'll need to polish your car. It also depends on how picky you are. If you're super picky then spot polishing is something you'll do often.

bmw5541
12-26-2009, 08:39 PM
On my silver DD which is outside 24/7 in NJ, I do a full detail twice a year. I will do it in the spring and again in the fall to "winterize" it. I will wash, clay, polish seal and wax. During the spring and summer months, I will wash it weekly, and use a spray wax after. About once a month, I will use a wax like Natty's Red. My fall detail, includes a few coats of Collinite 845IW for durability. After my fall detail, I will try to was with ONR as often as the weather permits, and follow with a spray sealant.

christian900se
12-26-2009, 08:43 PM
If you had a silver GM SUV that's parked outside 24/7 in southern CA, how often would you machine polish it? :)

Now that I have some experience with parking outside in Socal, I would be more concerned with just keeping the darn thing clean. My parent's cars get dirty instantly from the salt and dust, and I was amazed at how much dust was on my black Saab after a short drive.

But I would probably polish it once a year and keep the paint well protected with sealants or waxes to give some relief from the sun and salt.

sullysdetailing
12-27-2009, 05:49 PM
It depends on the conditions. For example when I lived in Mass. I got a lot of tree sap on my car so I had to clay my car every month. IN Florida we don't get to much fall out so I clay the car about every 3-4 months.

I seal my car every 6 months since i live in Florida and the sun is harsh on pretty much everything. I wax the car every 2-3 months. I polish the car once a year.

Since my car in a daily driver and it is not show car. I am using Pinnalce Paint Cleansing Lotion instead of polishing the car.

It all depends on where you live and how you want the car to look.