PDA

View Full Version : Polish Advice Before Ordering

Pages : [1] 2

Anderson
12-23-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm still trying to decide which route to go as far as polishes/compounds. Can you give a newb some advice on which way to go please???? These are the combos I am thinking about going with. Please keep in mind this will be my first attempt at using a DA and polish. And if it matters, I plan on topping with 4Star UPP then Sig II nuba paste.

1. Wolfgang TSR and Finishing Glaze - Seems to be one of the better first timer sets as it might be easier to use than other combos. However, will the Glaze finish down well enough or will I need to finish with something like 85RD? If so, why not go with Combo #2?

2. Menzerna PO203S (Power Finish)/ PO85RD (Final Polish) - Have read nothing but great things about Menz and 85RD, but havent read anything about it being user friendly? Any thoughts?

3. Megs 105/205 - Have read nothing but great things as it has tons of cutting power, just depends on the pad choice as to how much you need. However, have read several reviews saying its not as easy to work with and might not be newb friendly? And again, will the 205 finish down well enough or does it need a finer polish (havent read any posts on this so I am assuming 205 will work fine before sealant/wax).

4. Get the one that is most cost efficient and give it a whirl.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

jpegs13
12-23-2009, 03:28 AM
As a relative neophyte to the world of car detailing, I can tell you the Menz PO85RD is very easy to use. I've tried other stuff, and I'm a Menzerna convert.

tazzdman
12-23-2009, 07:57 AM
i was in same mind set as you also being new at this so i thought i'd order this and try some of both worlds German Deep Gloss Combo (http://www.autogeek.net/german-deep-gloss-combo.html)

Bunky
12-23-2009, 08:21 AM
What is the car you plan to polish and what is the condition of the paint? Do you have a Porter Cable?

I have used the WG and Meg's lines. The WG should handle many tasks and finish nicely with the appropriate pads (LC Orange with TSR most correction, LC Black with FG to finish).

The M105 may be more than you really need. For example, two passes of M205 is a less aggressive way to remove swirls. I did not have any issues with M205 finishing but you do see comments it may not finish perfect (depends on how picky you are) on some paint. The Meg's had a faster predictable work times for me.

Mike Phillips
12-23-2009, 08:47 AM
What are you working on and how bad of condition is the paint?

The Wolfgang Twins are so easy to use that I like to recommend them to beginners and its a very simple system to use.

Both the Menzerna product you listed are also easy to use so you won't have any problems working with the products or wiping them off.

The Meguiar's Tag Team offers the most cutting power out of the options you listed as M105 will tackle some pretty much anything you throw at it unless its so deep that it either requires a rotary buffer or i some cases you should learn to live with the defect as it's too deep to remove safely. M205 finishes down really nice with a finishing pad and good technique.

So what are you working on and how bad is the paint?

Anderson
12-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Guess I should have added that info too. As part of my order I am getting the PC7424XP, so yes I will have a DA.

The vehicles I will be working on are all just friends and family to start with, but after I get the hang of things I would LOVE to be able to get a good detail on the weekend on the side. I have a Charger (silver) and daily driver Lancer (white). I will also be doing a Caddy CTS (black), Saleen Mustang (black), Expedition (vanilla?), et al. Almost all will be late model vehicles with probably light to intermediate swirls, except for the Saleen. Its probably intermediate+, but I will robably wait until after I get a technique down and know the compounds/pads abilities before tackling that one.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Matt S.
12-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm still trying to decide which route to go as far as polishes/compounds. Can you give a newb some advice on which way to go please???? These are the combos I am thinking about going with. Please keep in mind this will be my first attempt at using a DA and polish. And if it matters, I plan on topping with 4Star UPP then Sig II nuba paste.

1. Wolfgang TSR and Finishing Glaze - Seems to be one of the better first timer sets as it might be easier to use than other combos. However, will the Glaze finish down well enough or will I need to finish with something like 85RD? If so, why not go with Combo #2?

2. Menzerna PO203S (Power Finish)/ PO85RD (Final Polish) - Have read nothing but great things about Menz and 85RD, but havent read anything about it being user friendly? Any thoughts?

3. Megs 105/205 - Have read nothing but great things as it has tons of cutting power, just depends on the pad choice as to how much you need. However, have read several reviews saying its not as easy to work with and might not be newb friendly? And again, will the 205 finish down well enough or does it need a finer polish (havent read any posts on this so I am assuming 205 will work fine before sealant/wax).

4. Get the one that is most cost efficient and give it a whirl.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You need to ask yourself how bad the defects in your paint are, or post some pics so we can get an idea.

105/205 will have the most cut of any combo you listed, followed by the Wolfgang twins, followed by PO203/85RD.

105 is not as user friendly, but is one of my favorite polishes. Once you get the hang of it, it does some amazing things in short amounts of time. However, it may gum up and dust a lot to an inexperienced user.

I would only use the combo of PO203 / 85RD on a finish that only has the most MINOR defects. PO203 does not have much cut at all, and will only remove minor swirls, unless your paint is extremely soft in which case it will work well on moderate swirls. PO85RD has pretty much NO cut and is basically a jeweling polish. It can be used after any of the combos you listed for enhanced gloss, but it is not mandatory.

The WG twins would get my recommendation - based on the fact that this is your first time using a DA, and these polishes are so versatile. I've used this combo with different pads to correct a wide variety of defects, and unless the paint is completely saturated with heavy swirls and RIDS, it will do a great job! They're also VERY user friendly - dusting is extremely low, and working times are great. Just be sure that you break down each polish correctly to use them to their highest potential.

Good luck!

CakeDaddy
12-23-2009, 04:31 PM
I have a Charger (silver) and daily driver Lancer (white). I will also be doing a Caddy CTS (black), Saleen Mustang (black), Expedition (vanilla?), et al. Almost all will be late model vehicles with probably light to intermediate swirls, except for the Saleen. Its probably intermediate+, but I will robably wait until after I get a technique down and know the compounds/pads abilities before tackling that one.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Wow! I found myself all over the place when it comes to polishes. I have the M105 & M205 twins, I also have the Menz PO91 SIP and 85rd and I lastly I also have the 3M Extra Cut, Swirl Mark Remover & Ultrafine. I find that the M205 followed by the 85rd or the 3M UltraFinaSe works wonders on well maintained cars. For the heavy duty work I pull out the 3m extra cut and Mez PO91 SIP followed by one of the good finishing polishes like Menz85rd or 3M UltrafinaSE. The choices are endless, but if you are using the PC7472 exclsuively I say go with the M105,M205, and for a super finish top it off with a blue pad and the Menz85RD or 3M UltraFinaSE

ScottB
12-23-2009, 06:17 PM
There are three combo's that pretty much work for most nice and reasonable finishes.

Menzerna SIP/Nano, Wolfgang TSR/FG, or Megs 105/205. Cannot go wrong with them and Megs offers a little more power for those finishes needing a bit more work IMO>

cooksnj
12-23-2009, 07:09 PM
i have the pcxp too, i'm new to this also. i went with the megs twins (105 & 205) and love it. i had been doing 4 cars by hand for a year, & you just cant beat a machine. i cant compare anything really, cause i've never used any thing else. i went with megs out of the gate cause it was versatile. i have 2 black cars, one with a lot of swirls, so i had to use the 105 and then finish with 205. but my other cars just need 205 and some sealant and wax.

i'm dying to try menz. and Wolfgang!

just my 2 cents, good luck.

Anderson
12-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Well, I think I have decided to start out with the Wolfgang combo to start out with. Once I get the procedure down, and if I need something stronger, I will look into the Megz stuff. I think for the cars I will be doing the TSR should do the job.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, its greatly appreciated!

02CAMSS
12-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Poorboys SSR 1 and 3 polishes are easy to use and very friendly to new DA users.I would give those a hard look before the others and they give great results.Just my 2 cents and what worked for me when I started using a DA.

Mike Phillips
12-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Well, I think I have decided to start out with the Wolfgang combo to start out with. Once I get the procedure down, and if I need something stronger, I will look into the Megz stuff. I think for the cars I will be doing the TSR should do the job.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, its greatly appreciated!

I've been real impressed with the Wolfgang Twins since coming to Autogeek from Meguiar's. I used the TSR and FG in this write up to remove #3000 Grit Sanding Marks and it wasn't even a challenge.

Removing Orange Peel & Sanding Marks with the Griot's ROP and the Wolfgang Twins (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/21463-removing-sanding-marks-griot-s-rop-wolfgang-twins.html)

I could have stopped at #2000 grit or #2500 grit and then used a more aggressive pad with the TSR but the goal was in part teach people to do the extra steps to finish out at higher grits to insure the buff-out would be easy and more important, successful. Success defined as no tracers.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
12-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Just be sure that you break down each polish correctly to use them to their highest potential.

Good luck!
I'm just not sure how user friendly diminishing abrasives(WG twins) are? The sentence above sums it up. If you don't break down the polish enough, you can end up with swirls. It's not easy for a beginner to tell when abrasives have broken down.

On the other hand, it seems non diminishing abrasives(Megs 105/205) may be easier to work with, as you don't have to wait for the polish to break down. You get the same cut from start to finish.

Am I off base?

Bunky
12-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Am I off base?

That was my point with about M105/M205 working more predictably to me.

It took longer to dial in the process with the WG since I was fairly new to polishes when I used them the first time. I had M105 working on the third test (changed to a larger pad and adjusted the work time) and M205 worked on the first panel but then I saw Mike P. demo it at DF last year and it worked just like he demo'ed it (no KB method, etc, etc).