PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive Problems with the CCS 4 inch pads

trencher7
12-21-2009, 09:40 PM
I recently ordered the 4in CCS spot buff kit -

http://www.autogeek.net/spot-buff-kit.html (http://www.autogeek.net/spot-buff-kit.html)

and am not too pleased with the lack of adhesion. Unlike the 6 in pads which take some effort peeling off the backing plate, the 4 inchers come off too easily. Today I used an orange and white pad and 3 times the pads flew off once I hit 5 speed and I had to stop to re-center them another 10 times. This was all while doing a vertical polish on the door. I had to apply more pressure to keep them on, but often it would stop my PC from spinning properly.

Did I get a bad batch? It's clearly not gripping half as well as the 6 in pads.

kronos
12-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Dude, it's the backing plate. I had the exact same problem with that backing plate. I ended up buying the yellow 3.5" backing plate and the pads stick to it like glue. When I was using the backing plate that came with that kit, the 4" pads were being tossed left and right. I would buy the yellow backing plate to solve your problem.

Mike Phillips
12-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Just to note, Velcro, or Hook & Loop interfaces, the "Hook" wears out.

Think of a hook, like a fishing hook, when Velcro is new the hook part has a strong hook, as you pull the hook off the cloth or loop facing, it tends to stretch and straighten out the hook so instead of looking like a fish hook or the letter J it starts to look like a straight like like this --> l <-- and what you notice is a weaker bond and a less tacking pull when you separate a pad from a backing plate.

There's all kinds of shapes of hooks and loops and some have a stronger attachment than others.

I'm not saying the above is what the problem is, just pointing this out for everyone that will read this into the future will know that Velcro wears out.

:)

trencher7
12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Yep, it's the backing plate. It's terrible. I put the pad on my other plate and the grip is fine. AG really needs to do something about this.