PDA

View Full Version : Questions about collinite waxes

Pages : [1] 2

02nissanISR
12-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Looking for a good wax to offer clients in place of a paint sealant. Right now all I have is sovereign great look not much durability. Ive read about the collinite waxes and they seem very good in appearance and durability. Not to mention good price. The focus of the questions are "476", "915", & "845 insulator wax".

My questions are:

1. can anyone speak to the durability of this brand?

2. what is the preferred application? (476 & 915)
-ive seen something about a putty knife and a polisher?
-i would like to use a polisher or at the very least a polishin
pal (elbow and shoulders aren't what they used to be) so machine is preffered

Again just looking for something to offer as step below a paint sealant. I know durability is subjective, just want some personal experiences. But for the record I live in Baltimore MD. We just got nearly 2ft. of snow, (not typical). We get all the seasons. Summers can get pretty hot and humid. All the cars I've done so far are daily drivers, 98% of which are kept outside all year. So as you can see durability of protection is important.

Thanks for your input and any recommendations are welcome

bmw5541
12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I can't speak about 915 or 476, but I have used 845IW and love it. I did a full detail in early November and I wanted to "winterize" my car. After washing, clay bar, polishing and sealing, I decided to apply 3 coats of 845IW.

One thing to know about this however. Even though it is a liquid wax, it is extremely thick. You might want to first replace the cap with a flip top cap. Secondly, you may want to heat up the wax a bit. I filled up a pot of hot water, and placed the bottle of 845 into the pot to warm up. This will thin it down a little, to make the application a little easier. Once you get it onto the applicator, it is a breeze. It goes on easy and comes off easy. The protection that any of the Collinite waxes offers is legendary. You just can't beat the durability. I have only had it on for about a month, but I am very impressed. The slickness and shine are great, and it seems to protecting quite well. My car is a DD that is left outside 24/7. I live in NJ, and as much of the country was just blasted with this snow storm, my car was completeky covered. I went outside and took the snow brush to my wife's car. The snow was really hard to get off. I will not let a brush touch my paint, so I used my arm to wipe off the snow. It slid off like water after one pass of my arm. I was blown away.:dblthumb2:

02nissanISR
12-21-2009, 03:20 PM
thanks bmw5541 yeah that snow was sick my car was almost buried with the snow drifts we had. thats interesting what you said about heating the wax... no ill effects to the wax doing this? great tips about the thickness and bottle top thank you

acc1079
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
You will not beat the collonites in terms of durability.

476 is suppose to last the longest, but some have experienced the 915 lasting longer. Either will get you through the winter with ease.
845 is the easiest to apply, but doesn't last QUITE as long as the pastes, but again, should be able to get you through a harsh winter no problem.

On the 845 being thick.... it is VERY important to shake the 845. I when I say shake, I mean shake it like a Polaroid picture. The more you shake it, the thinner it becomes. Once thoroughly shaken, it is a VERY thin consistency.

I use a foam applicator and apply the 476 and 915 by hand. Please remember.... THIN IS IN!!! If you apply to thick, you will break your arm getting them off. If you apply thin, they are a breeze.

The 845 can be applied VERY easily with a non cutting pad on a machine. A small amount spreads greatly, so the same principle applies...... very thin!

bmw5541
12-21-2009, 03:33 PM
thanks bmw5541 yeah that snow was sick my car was almost buried with the snow drifts we had. thats interesting what you said about heating the wax... no ill effects to the wax doing this? great tips about the thickness and bottle top thank you

I learned that from reading various forum threads. It didn't effect the 845 at all. It just made it easier to get out of the bottle.

[QUOTE=acc1079;278380]

On the 845 being thick.... it is VERY important to shake the 845. I when I say shake, I mean shake it like a Polaroid picture. The more you shake it, the thinner it becomes. Once thoroughly shaken, it is a VERY thin consistency.

Very good point. You really do need to shake the bejesus out of the bottle!

02nissanISR
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM
thanks acc1079 great info and good tips as well. haha "shake it like a Polaroid picture" I love it. and I get it very apt description :-)

bmw5541
ok cool yeah i guess its not like your bringin it to a boil kind of like warming honey or molasses just making it run better

wfedwar
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Looking for a good wax to offer clients in place of a paint sealant. Right now all I have is sovereign great look not much durability. Ive read about the collinite waxes and they seem very good in appearance and durability. Not to mention good price. The focus of the questions are "476", "915", & "845 insulator wax".

My questions are:

1. can anyone speak to the durability of this brand?

2. what is the preferred application? (476 & 915)
-ive seen something about a putty knife and a polisher?
-i would like to use a polisher or at the very least a polishin
pal (elbow and shoulders aren't what they used to be) so machine is preffered

Again just looking for something to offer as step below a paint sealant. I know durability is subjective, just want some personal experiences. But for the record I live in Baltimore MD. We just got nearly 2ft. of snow, (not typical). We get all the seasons. Summers can get pretty hot and humid. All the cars I've done so far are daily drivers, 98% of which are kept outside all year. So as you can see durability of protection is important.

Thanks for your input and any recommendations are welcome

From my experience:

1. Durability of 915 and 476S is way longer than I can leave them alone (>>6 months). Durability of 845 is only a couple of months before beading and looks taper off. YMMV.

2. I don't apply Collinite by machine since getting some nasty wax holograms. If application may be a challenge for you, I highly recommend 845. It's easy to use, looks great, and for many people lasts a long time.

For some reason the paint on my truck just doesn't seem to hold LSPs very well. It's a crappy repaint and its in the weather 24/7.

PAR Detailing
12-22-2009, 12:56 AM
I just bought 476 and I didnt find it "toooo" hard to apply and remove (I am also a 21 year old whipper snapper who still thinks he is invincible haha) and I cant tell you about durability yet BUT I will say that my paint has never been slicker than after I applied that to it. I dont know if that helps you at all but just wanted to throw that out there
Jon

Bunky
12-22-2009, 06:01 AM
I just bought 476 and I didnt find it "toooo" hard to apply and remove (I am also a 21 year old whipper snapper who still thinks he is invincible haha) and I cant tell you about durability yet BUT I will say that my paint has never been slicker than after I applied that to it. I dont know if that helps you at all but just wanted to throw that out there
Jon

What other products have you used?

Gary Sword
12-22-2009, 07:47 AM
845 is cheap, looks very good, easy to apply and remove and it lasts longer than anything I have tried which is a lot of different waxes and sealants. I think 915 looks better and is also a great wax. I find 915 harder to apply and remove and the durabilty amost equal to 845.

Da Fats
12-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Go for the 915.

If you tap it on the counter a few times stiffly and use a can opener to open it form the bottom you can apply it to a buffer pad as easy as other paste waxes. Putting it on my machine definitely speeds up the process. It looks great and lasts along ass time (from what I read).

I have used it on 4 cars now. I had some issues with on vehicle that I did not let cool down from exposure to sun (very hard to remove) other then that it was only about 50% more effort put into removing it over the super easy waxes like poorboy's and max wax.

Just keep the wax in a container after opening this way. Just wish I had pics to post... I have not had the chance to use it on a full detail yet. Just a few wash and waxes right before winter.

Chris

Mike Moore
12-22-2009, 08:04 AM
I have heard that the 845 formula has recently been changed.

I'm not sure but I think the old formula said "Clear Coat Safe"
in the upper right hand corner of the bottle.

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/images/845Kit_resize.jpg

I believe the new product says "Paste Wax" in the upper right
hand corner of the bottle.

Does anyone know why or what the difference is?

PAR Detailing
12-22-2009, 09:10 AM
What other products have you used?

I have used lots of megs products and products in general but as far as waxes and sealants go I have and have used megs medallion, NXT2.0, mothers synwax, malco imperial nuba paste, nattys red, megs #26 yellow paste, maxwax, and 476.

Jon

Bunky
12-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I have used lots of megs products and products in general but as far as waxes and sealants go I have and have used megs medallion, NXT2.0, mothers synwax, malco imperial nuba paste, nattys red, megs #26 yellow paste, maxwax, and 476.

Jon

Ok. So you like it better than Max Wax? I have only used 476 once and except for its fast sheeting it did not look obviously any better or worse than some others I was testing.

RTexasF
12-22-2009, 02:45 PM
As I understand it, technically the Collinite line is a sealant with carnauba added to the mix. Sounds very common sense to me......there's no way a straight wax can go the distance like Collinite does. You get the best of both worlds.