PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Rock Chips

mcpp66
12-19-2009, 09:58 AM
When repairing rock chips.........is it recommended to strip wax from the area of the chip? If so, what product(s) do you recommend for the job?

Mike Phillips
12-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes.

Use Isopropyl Alcohol, Mineral Spirits or an All Purpose Cleaner.

Get creative, maybe scrub with one of the above a a Q-tip.

:)

mcpp66
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Yes.

Use Isopropyl Alcohol, Mineral Spirits or an All Purpose Cleaner.

Get creative, maybe scrub with one of the above a a Q-tip.

:)

Is Poorboy's World Bio-Degradable All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser a good choice for this purpose? Is it paint safe?

Rsurfer
12-19-2009, 11:55 AM
When repairing rock chips.........is it recommended to strip wax from the area of the chip? If so, what product(s) do you recommend for the job?Are you planning to just fill in these chips with touch-up paint, or are you going to wet sand?

mcpp66
12-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Are you planning to just fill in these chips with touch-up paint, or are you going to wet sand?

No, I have no detailing skills to be doing that kind of work. I'd probably just use Dr. Colorchip.

bigdawg
12-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Keep us posted on how well it really works. I have been looking at it for a few weeks but havent pulled the triger yet. My wifes car looks like it was hit with a 12gauge from driving on the freeway. I know it wont fully make the chip disaper but anything is beter than looking at what looks like pepper on the front bumper. lol

:buffing:

mcpp66
12-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Keep us posted on how well it really works. I have been looking at it for a few weeks but havent pulled the triger yet. My wifes car looks like it was hit with a 12gauge from driving on the freeway. I know it wont fully make the chip disaper but anything is beter than looking at what looks like pepper on the front bumper. lol

:buffing:

Will do..........but I probably won't get to it until spring time.

TLMitchell
12-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Keep us posted on how well it really works. I have been looking at it for a few weeks but havent pulled the triger yet. My wifes car looks like it was hit with a 12gauge from driving on the freeway. I know it wont fully make the chip disaper but anything is beter than looking at what looks like pepper on the front bumper.

I've used Dr. Colorchip with good reults on a black Hyundai. There's a bit of a learning curve and I got much better results the 2nd and 3rd time I used the system.

I picked up my kit discounted as part of a group-buy on another Forum... 10%, if I recall correctly. I sent an e-mail inquiry to Dr. Colorchip re: the possibility of a group buy for members of this Forum. I'll advise what develops. I think they required a committment for 10 sales and then supplied a discount code for purchase.

TL

CEE DOG
12-19-2009, 07:51 PM
You should see me when I get on the highway with SkyBaby. I drive about 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, 4-1000, 5-1000 behind the cars. Thats a long friggin way going 70 mph! It's funny, I got this car that wants to move but rarely is the road open enough for her to do her thing without fear of small debris coming from cars in front. People hate me! For some reason they think just because there is a large gap in front of me that they will be able to get some where if they get in that gap. I'm going the same speed as the car in front.... just 5 seconds back.

LSU1990
12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
When repairing rock chips.........is it recommended to strip wax from the area of the chip? If so, what product(s) do you recommend for the job?

I use a mix of water and isopropyl alcohol 1:1 on a Q-tip. I recently used the Langka system with good results.