PDA

View Full Version : BAD brake dust build-up....help?

DannyM
12-17-2009, 06:44 PM
My friend just bought these used wheels for his truck, and they have a bad brake dust build up problem. I told him I would give it a shot to try to clean them up, so what can I do? Can I use a clay bar on them?

I have Wolfgangs Tire and Wheel Cleaner, and a couple different scrub brushes.

what else can I try? Im going over to do it on Sunday, so I need some info quick. I posted a picture to show the worse wheel.

Help Guys!

Thanks!

Dan

http://i46.tinypic.com/15h1uf9.jpg

Matt S.
12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Looks like the finish is pitted, but it's hard to tell. I can't think of any other reason why those spots would appear the way they do.

I would try a cleaner like Klasse All In One, and depending on the results, maybe step up to a light abrasive like Meguiar's SwirlX or ScratchX 2.0.

Harleyguy
12-17-2009, 07:24 PM
You can try some 0000 steel wool and some 105.Try a test spot on the barrel of the rim.

ScottB
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Poorboys Spray/Rinse Wheel Cleaner is about the strongest wheel cleaner I have ever used. When used as directed it is a brake buster. I do however tend to see pitting which nothing will likely remove.

Impressions
12-17-2009, 07:28 PM
That's a M/T wheel...has no clearcoat......sand till gone and polish

DannyM
12-17-2009, 07:50 PM
were going to give it a shot sunday! so well see how its goes.

Keep the advse comming! Thanks guys!

DLB
12-17-2009, 10:41 PM
It looks like Robert (Impressions) is right.
Find a sanding combo that works, or you can always get a metal polish combo that might work.

It looks like though you are going to have to level the surface back out just like you would a badly swirled paint job, then bring it back to a shine.

Clay bar may or may not help.

If he doesn't want to go through the trouble of polishing them - you could always just get them as clean as possible and spray them with some wheel paint. Wurth Silver Wheel Spray Paint (http://autogeek.net/wurth-silver-paint.html)
Dupli-Color also makes some that is available locally.

DLB

Laura
12-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Poorboys Spray/Rinse Wheel Cleaner is about the strongest wheel cleaner I have ever used. When used as directed it is a brake buster. I do however tend to see pitting which nothing will likely remove.

I spend more time on my wheels than I do on the rest of the car. I love how they look; I hate how they dust. Therefore, I have tried all kinds of products. After cleaning them really well and sealing them with PB Wheel Sealant, all I use now is my foam gun, Daytona brush, and a tire brush. PB is by far the strongest product I've used. I can't imagine it not working on yours if used with a good brush. Won't help with the pitting, but it might get the grunge out. I've also used Wolfgang, and it did the trick for me, but again, mine have never been that bad. Over Thankdgiving, my dad stopped in for a visit with his rusted minivan. The wheels had some junk (not quite sure what all it was) in the the crevices. What PB didn't take care of, clay did. Once I got them looking pretty good, I put two coats of PB wheel sealant on. He claims they still look great and he's only had to use soap and water to get the dust off since then.

DannyM
12-18-2009, 06:59 PM
thanks alot guys!

with the pending heavy snow here, this may be put on hold for a little while

Rsurfer
12-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I spend more time on my wheels than I do on the rest of the car. I love how they look; I hate how they dust. Therefore, I have tried all kinds of products. After cleaning them really well and sealing them with PB Wheel Sealant, all I use now is my foam gun, Daytona brush, and a tire brush. PB is by far the strongest product I've used. I can't imagine it not working on yours if used with a good brush. Won't help with the pitting, but it might get the grunge out. I've also used Wolfgang, and it did the trick for me, but again, mine have never been that bad. Over Thankdgiving, my dad stopped in for a visit with his rusted minivan. The wheels had some junk (not quite sure what all it was) in the the crevices. What PB didn't take care of, clay did. Once I got them looking pretty good, I put two coats of PB wheel sealant on. He claims they still look great and he's only had to use soap and water to get the dust off since then.
Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/autogeek/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/22382-bad-brake-dust-build-up-help.html#post277677)

You both seem to believe that Poorboys Spray/Rinse Wheel Cleaner is the strongest wheel cleaner...Have either one of you compared this to Meg's Wheel Brightner? I ask the question cause I have not used Poorboy's, but Meg's WB is the strongest that I've used yet. And yes it's a acid and you need to be careful using it.

Laura
12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
You both seem to believe that Poorboys Spray/Rinse Wheel Cleaner is the strongest wheel cleaner...Have either one of you compared this to Meg's Wheel Brightner? I ask the question cause I have not used Poorboy's, but Meg's WB is the strongest that I've used yet. And yes it's a acid and you need to be careful using it.

I've never tried Meg's. Yeah, the PB is really strong. Even outside with some air, it still burns if you breathe it.

Impressions
12-18-2009, 09:07 PM
the problem with an acid wheel cleaner is it will turn the wheel a whiteish color and probably leave run streaks in the aluminum if you dont get it off quickly or let it dry. I have done this to M/T wheels b4 and best to use a couple of times to get a uniform finish. Than you can try to polish with some kind of alum polish like Mothers or I have used Never-Dull....tear off a piece and scrub till your fingers turn black as will the wheel, buff till your arms hurt and than you might have a half way decent polish job

Like I said in my last post....sand than polish

best done off of the vehicle without tire on rim...sorry, good luck

Rsurfer
12-18-2009, 10:18 PM
the problem with an acid wheel cleaner is it will turn the wheel a whiteish color and probably leave run streaks in the aluminum if you dont get it off quickly or let it dry. I have done this to M/T wheels b4 and best to use a couple of times to get a uniform finish. Than you can try to polish with some kind of alum polish like Mothers or I have used Never-Dull....tear off a piece and scrub till your fingers turn black as will the wheel, buff till your arms hurt and than you might have a half way decent polish job

Like I said in my last post....sand than polish

best done off of the vehicle without tire on rim...sorry, good luck
First of all I would not use an acid base wheel cleaner on an aluminum wheel. Your just asking for trouble using acid on aluminum.

DannyM
12-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Well thanks to everyone!
We washed with wolfgang wheel and trie cleaner, went over them with 0000 steel wool, then clay bar, then polished, and they came out pretty darn good!

Thanks to everyone!

Bert31
12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I spend more time on my wheels than I do on the rest of the car. I love how they look; I hate how they dust.

You may want to buy some ceramic brakes such as the ones made by Akebono. Mine just showed up, will put them on this week once I find where in the workd I put my channel locks and C clamps.