PDA

View Full Version : Which Leather Treatment?

Pages : [1] 2

Z28ImpalaSS
12-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I recently bought an 09 Pontiac G8 with Onyx leather interior. The leather has a very flat(no sheen) appearance to it, which is fine by me. My question is, can anyone recommend a leather treatment that will not change this flat look, but still nourish the leather and help keep it new looking?

ScottB
12-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Einszett Leather Care ... slight hint of matte only. Likely able to use Einszett Cockpit Premium too since automotive leather is finished.

tcollins33
12-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I have similar "matte" leather in my 2003 Jetta GLI. I use DP Interior Cleaner to clean the leather and Griot's Leather Lotion. It retains the matte look quite well (and smells great, too!). As always, make sure the leather is very warm when you do the cleaning/lotion process.

Z28ImpalaSS
12-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow, quick replies. Thanks guys. Damn, looks like I'll have to do some Geek ordering.:dblthumb2:

zinc02gt
12-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I've always had great luck with the less expensive Lexol stuff. Just my $0.02...

SRHTX
12-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Woolite & Distilled Water to clean

Optimum Protectant Plus to restore and protect it

Works wonders

redls1rado
12-16-2009, 11:00 PM
I have not tried the others mentioned but I really like Poorboy's Leather Stuff. It completely transformed some tan leather seats I did on a Corvette. Great smell to.

wytstang
12-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Leather Master's is what I use, it out performed Pinnacle leather conditioner on my seats. After some email exchange with Four Star I would have no problems using there leather products as well. The same can be said for Poorboys World, all three are water based.

frosty
12-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I just recently had to do some research on leather and ran into some interesting info.

Apparently today's leather in US & Japanese automobiles is covered by a plastic coating.

Interesting read on the 303 website and it cites comments made by a Dr. Jenkins of Lexol

303 Products, Inc.: Treating Leather and vinyl coated leather in auto upholstery and car interiors. (http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/112/automotive-leather.cfm)

From the article

“While vinyl-coated leather is care free by virtue of its protective plastic surface, it is also inaccessible for purposes of maintenance.” Meaning, of course, there is absolutely no point to using leather conditioners on plastic coated leather."

The water drop test tends to make sense. If you put a drop of water on a solid leather seat that isn't perferated or not on the seams and it doesn't soak in, it would stand to reason that a leather conditioner isn't going to soak in either.

If that's the case, then it would seem reasonable to think a vinyl/plastic treatment would do more good than a leather treatment if your seats are plastic coated.

SRHTX
12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Then, that explaines why my client with an '05 Mercedes Benz S55 interior problem.

BEFORE:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/srhtx/Mercedes%20Benz/2005%20S55/Before/DriverDoor02.jpg

AFTER:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/srhtx/Mercedes%20Benz/2005%20S55/LeatherIssue01.jpg

She wears way too much lotion junk on hear hands/arms. Since here interior was never taken care of, the lotion ate thru the plastic coating.

Apparently today's leather in US & Japanese automobiles is covered by a plastic coating.

Interesting read on the 303 website and it cites comments made by a Dr. Jenkins of Lexol

303 Products, Inc.: Treating Leather and vinyl coated leather in auto upholstery and car interiors. (http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/112/automotive-leather.cfm)

From the article

“While vinyl-coated leather is care free by virtue of its protective plastic surface, it is also inaccessible for purposes of maintenance.” Meaning, of course, there is absolutely no point to using leather conditioners on plastic coated leather."

The water drop test tends to make sense. If you put a drop of water on a solid leather seat that isn't perferated or not on the seams and it doesn't soak in, it would stand to reason that a leather conditioner isn't going to soak in either.

If that's the case, then it would seem reasonable to think a vinyl/plastic treatment would do more good than a leather treatment if your seats are plastic coated.

frosty
12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
WOW! I thought the point of lotion was to rub it in not layer it on like icing on a cake. Man that's a lot of residue on the before pix.

FYI. I'm not claiming the 303 article as gospel but I like their product so far and I had a couple of leather stores tell me the same thing.

The reason for research was a customer's black coat faded onto her seat. She was panicked and got me panicked that it had stained the leather.

Guy told me to just wait before going over board. Sure enough, when I got the car, the dye came right off with a little cleaner.

It wouldn't have done that if would have transferred directly into a porous leather. I know my wife dropped a wet black leather glove our nice, soft leather couch and the stain still remains.

Curious to see what others have to say on the subject though. For me, I'm testing and using something like 303 going forward until I find out otherwise.

twisted007
12-17-2009, 05:11 PM
I like the Connolly products i forget the website but they give alot of info. there an great products. does anyone have their website ?

SRHTX
12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, what I posted in here early is what I use to do. I know do interior detailing work with a steamer and finish it with the Optimum Leather. THAT works wonders and is quick and easy.

Matt S.
12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
On my personal vehicles, I prefer Leatherique twice a year and Pinnacle or 1Z for monthly use.

ScottB
12-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Leather in most automotive settings is finished (ie coated). They use a polyeurothane coating or plastic type product on it. It protects from environment and such but not as receptive to true leather cleaners with oils and lanolin. Einszetts Leather Care is actually designed for this type of leather.

Now uncoated leather (found in high end cars) can benefit from Connollys.