PDA

View Full Version : Winter "in garage" car wash help?

wn1998
12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I have been reading a ton on the forums here the last several weeks. I am looking to purchase some DP rinseless car wash for use in Chicago. I have a few questions.

1. What wash mitt would be the best for winter use? At times, our cars (Jeep Grand Cherokee and Nissan Versa) can be pretty caked with salt should that affect which wash mitt to buy?

2. Can I use the same wash water both of my 2 cars?

3. Can a car be too dirty to use this product in my garage?

4. When you use this product do you wash one panel at a time (i.e. a door and then dry it with microfiber towel and move on to the next panel?)

5. If I want to add another coat of wax in mid Feb, can I wax directly after using this product or would a more traditional wash be needed before I apply a new coat of wax?

Thanks for your help.

LincolnZephyr2006
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I am in a rush right now... but do yourself a favor (to prevent swirls) and go to the car wash and spray your car off first including salt, dirt, and anything that has accumalted in the fender wells or wheels. Also, pressure up the whole car itself to give it a good "prep" and drive back and use the rinseless car wash. Me personally, I would use for one car each time and yes dry after done on each panel. Hope that helps!

christian900se
12-16-2009, 07:52 PM
You should use a two bucket method where one has your rinseless solution while the other has plain water to rinse your wash media in. Go one panel at a time, the key to minimizing the risk of marring in my opinion is to rinse your wash mitt after each panel and go from the top and work your way down.

CharlesW
12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I am in a rush right now... but do yourself a favor (to prevent swirls) and go to the car wash and spray your car off first including salt, dirt, and anything that has accumalted in the fender wells or wheels. Also, pressure up the whole car itself to give it a good "prep" and drive back and use the rinseless car wash. Me personally, I would use for one car each time and yes dry after done on each panel. Hope that helps!Good advice.

You should use a two bucket method where one has your rinseless solution while the other has plain water to rinse your wash media in. Go one panel at a time, the key to minimizing the risk of marring in my opinion is to rinse your wash mitt after each panel and go from the top and work your way down.
Again, good advice. I happen to use rinseless solution in both buckets so I don't dilute the wash solution with plain water. Overkill? Maybe. :)

I have been reading a ton on the forums here the last several weeks. I am looking to purchase some DP rinseless car wash for use in Chicago. I have a few questions.

1. What wash mitt would be the best for winter use? At times, our cars (Jeep Grand Cherokee and Nissan Versa) can be pretty caked with salt should that affect which wash mitt to buy?
If you pre-rinse at the DIY spray wash and get rid of the built-up crud, any good wash media should work fine.

2. Can I use the same wash water both of my 2 cars?
I wouldn't.

3. Can a car be too dirty to use this product in my garage?
IMO, yes. That's the reason for the DIY pre-rinse.

4. When you use this product do you wash one panel at a time (i.e. a door and then dry it with microfiber towel and move on to the next panel?)
I will often do a section such as 1/2 the roof, 1/2 the rear window, 1/2 the windshield before drying. I don't think you should have any problem as long as the washed area is still wet.
It does seem that most people do stick with the wash a panel, dry a panel routine, though.

5. If I want to add another coat of wax in mid Feb, can I wax directly after using this product or would a more traditional wash be needed before I apply a new coat of wax?
I do whatever I would do to the vehicle if it had received a traditional hose & bucket wash. Never had any problems I am aware of. I can't really say if it affects durability of the LSP since about 6 weeks is about as long as I go without waxing/sealing.

Thanks for your help.
I just hope it does help. :)

med
12-16-2009, 11:47 PM
I used this today on my truck. I use the two bucket method and warm watter in the buckets. 31deg. outside and about 68-70 in my garage. I must say every DP product I own is the balls. They just work.

wytstang
12-17-2009, 12:06 AM
^What Charles said.

supercharged
12-18-2009, 09:04 AM
I'd get a pressure washer and a foam lance with some DP Xtreme formula snow foam. Foam it up, let it dwell, pressure rinse it off...then pull in garage and proceed with ONR...

Wax Gorilla
12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Charles is right !

Showroom Shine
12-19-2009, 08:08 AM
I have used most of the products for winter washing. Even the waterless or less water types. Under both filthy and not as dirty conditions on my vehicle. When the vehicle is not as dirty I use Dri Wash n Guard Waterless Wash product with new micro fibers. When it's full of salt and winter weather grime. I use ONR with a schmitt and the 2 bucket method. Wash and rinse a section at a time and dry. I have also sprayed it off at a wash then pulled in the garage and then used ONR,DP Waterless Wash,or Dri Wash. Weather sucks today in Ohio. Snow and salt,so my arsenal or ONR,DP and Dri Wash is ready.

CharlesW
12-19-2009, 09:50 AM
I'd get a pressure washer and a foam lance with some DP Xtreme formula snow foam. Foam it up, let it dwell, pressure rinse it off...then pull in garage and proceed with ONR...In Iowa, this will get you a lot of ice on the driveway. :)
That's the reason I go to the DIY wash for getting the caked on dirt/salt/sand off.

wn1998
12-19-2009, 05:14 PM
any microfiber wash mitt ok or how about a sheepskin?

CharlesW
12-19-2009, 05:58 PM
For wash media, I have used a sheepskin mitt, cotton chenille mitt, cotton chenille covered sponge, sea sponge, grout sponge, the Cobra Bone MF covered sponge, and they all seem to work fine for the body/windows.
Basically, any wash media you would use for conventional washing should be fine with rinseless washing.

Matt
12-19-2009, 08:03 PM

I feel more comfortable using my Meguiar's sheepskin mitt when doing a rinseless wash. For a normal wash, I use a dreadlock microfiber mitt.