PDA

View Full Version : Griot's ROP that much more powerful the PC 7424XP?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WRAPT C5Z06
12-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Griot's ROP that much more powerful the PC 7424XP? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/22358-griot-s-rop-much-more-powerful-pc-7424xp.html)

7amp vs. 4.5amp motor. That's pretty significant if you ask me. I'm assuming that "power" may not necessarily correlate 100% to defect removal? Is there other factors involved? I can't imagine the new and improved PC being that far behind the competition.

zinc02gt
12-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm sure that the throw of the oscillation can have alot to do with it. I don't know the technical term for it, but that's how I describe it. I own an original PC and it works just fine for me...

Rsurfer
12-16-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm sure that the throw of the oscillation can have alot to do with it. I don't know the technical term for it, but that's how I describe it. I own an original PC and it works just fine for me...Your 1st generation pc might work fine for you along with thousands of others for all these years, but the new generation DA's will cut your compounding and polishing time in half and make your job that much easier.

CharlesW
12-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Your 1st generation pc might work fine for you along with thousands of others for all these years, but the new generation DA's will cut your compounding and polishing time in half and make your job that much easier.
Are you saying that the PC7424XP will do that?

I can see the Flex doing it and possibly the Griot's.
The XP does have quite a bit more power as far as amps/wattage is concerned,but what about actual results?
Don't you have both the original PC and an XP?
Heck, you probably have the Griot's. the Meg's new 110 and the Flex as well. :)
What's your opinion from your use?
Both outright performance and bang for the buck.
The Flex would seem to be the better performer, but it is a little pricey.
Could be worth it to a Pro.
Maybe not so much to a hobby detailer like me. I only use my PC about 6 times a year.

Mike Phillips
12-16-2009, 05:55 PM
The new generation XP and GG and v2 polishers offer dramatically more ability to keep a pad rotating and thus more ability to remove defects.

I feel like a broken record some days because I'll type the same thing over and over again but not only have i used the PC after it was first introduced, but I've taught a kazillion people first hand how to use it and one thing I always had to address was pad rotation and how as your pad became saturated with product that this would reduce the tools ability to keep the pad rotating and this means it will take you longer to remove the swirls, thus longer to detail the car.

The new generation polishers fix that problem. They really do a better job of keeping dry pads rotating and wet pads rotating and the longest part of ANY detail job that includes removing swirls and scratches is the cleaning step, that is the step where you're removing the defects out of the paint.

The old tools will do it, but they are not as effective and the will take longer. One around the deficiency of the first gen tools is to have plenty of dry pads on hand. When you see the pad's rotation slow down simply take the wet pad off and replace it With a dry pad and wa-la the pad will start rotating better again.

Pretty easy experiment to test yourself.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
12-16-2009, 06:31 PM
The new generation XP and GG and v2 polishers offer dramatically more ability to keep a pad rotating and thus more ability to remove defects.

I feel like a broken record some days because I'll type the same thing over and over again but not only have i used the PC after it was first introduced, but I've taught a kazillion people first hand how to use it and one thing I always had to address was pad rotation and how as your pad became saturated with product that this would reduce the tools ability to keep the pad rotating and this means it will take you longer to remove the swirls, thus longer to detail the car.

The new generation polishers fix that problem. They really do a better job of keeping dry pads rotating and wet pads rotating and the longest part of ANY detail job that includes removing swirls and scratches is the cleaning step, that is the step where you're removing the defects out of the paint.

The old tools will do it, but they are not as effective and the will take longer. One around the deficiency of the first gen tools is to have plenty of dry pads on hand. When you see the pad's rotation slow down simply take the wet pad off and replace it With a dry pad and wa-la the pad will start rotating better again.

Pretty easy experiment to test yourself.

:)

My question still remains, does a machine that has 7amps going to do a better/faster job of removing defects compared to a machine that has 4.5amps? Logic tells me yes, but that may not be the case with DA polishers.

I probably shouldn't have posted this question because AG sells both, and wouldn't want to knock one in the creek.

I'm not comparing the *original* PC 7424 to the new Griot's ROP. I'm referring to the newest versions of both.

ScottB
12-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I heard its harder to bog down the Griots ... but man PC's reputation is bulletproof. Several nice choices indeed, but if your looking to true power move to Flex.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I heard its harder to bog down the Griots ... but man PC's reputation is bulletproof.
Exactly. Can't go wrong with either. I was just wondering if there was anything to look into other than power of the motor.

With the Flex, do you not have to move as slowly across the surface compared to the others?

WRAPT C5Z06
12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
An analogy I could use is, just because a car has more horsepower, doesn't mean it's faster.

zinc02gt
12-16-2009, 07:56 PM
An analogy I could use is, just because a car has more horsepower, doesn't mean it's faster.

Honestly, I think it would be all in the way you use each specific buffer. Yeah, one may have more current, but look at the DeWalt 849 and the Makita 9227. The DeWalt has 8A, while the Makita has 10A. Yes they are rotary buffers, but the same concept applies... People get amazing results out of both. Who's to say you cannot get amazing results with the other buffers? Like I said earlier, I believe it's all in how you use the buffer, not necessarily the power output.

Rsurfer
12-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Honestly, I think it would be all in the way you use each specific buffer. Yeah, one may have more current, but look at the DeWalt 849 and the Makita 9227. The DeWalt has 8A, while the Makita has 10A. Yes they are rotary buffers, but the same concept applies... People get amazing results out of both. Who's to say you cannot get amazing results with the other buffers? Like I said earlier, I believe it's all in how you use the buffer, not necessarily the power output.
In the case of a rotary having 8A or 10A is mute...as both will spin 1800rpm and that's about the max power you will need. So the 10A may go 3700rpm so what...is anyone going to polish at 3700rpms? The GG and G1102v both have max OPM of 6800, but the more amps will give you more torque giving you more applied pressure.

rbrcs
12-16-2009, 10:56 PM
I have the original PC7424, a great tool. I only detail my own vehicles, one truck and two cars. I was using both the 5 1/5 and 6 1/5 LC pads. With all the hype on the new PC's I decided that maybe it was time to upgrade. I did the research and agreed the Flex is the top of the line. Then common sense came into the picture. Since I only use it for personal use I agreed with some others that the difference in price may be better spent on product and pads. I made the decision to go with the new Griots. It is to me better than the PC7424, it is more powerful and I can finish quicker than with the PC 7424. I used some of the difference in price of the Flex and the Griots to purchase the 4 inch pads and backing plate from Autogeek and will use them on the PC7424.

Rsurfer
12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
I have the original PC7424, a great tool. I only detail my own vehicles, one truck and two cars. I was using both the 5 1/5 and 6 1/5 LC pads. With all the hype on the new PC's I decided that maybe it was time to upgrade. I did the research and agreed the Flex is the top of the line. Then common sense came into the picture. Since I only use it for personal use I agreed with some others that the difference in price may be better spent on product and pads. I made the decision to go with the new Griots. It is to me better than the PC7424, it is more powerful and I can finish quicker than with the PC 7424. I used some of the difference in price of the Flex and the Griots to purchase the 4 inch pads and backing plate from Autogeek and will use them on the PC7424.
Congrats on your new Griot DA. Why use the 4" pads on your old PC when you can use it on your new Griot? One advantage is that you don't have to switch bp if your running both.

tenorplayer23
12-17-2009, 12:36 AM
please................."MOOT".............................

In the case of a rotary having 8A or 10A is mute...as both will spin 1800rpm and that's about the max power you will need. So the 10A may go 3700rpm so what...is anyone going to polish at 3700rpms? The GG and G1102v both have max OPM of 6800, but the more amps will give you more torque giving you more applied pressure.

Rsurfer
12-17-2009, 12:38 AM
please................."MOOT".............................
Sorry LOLIm the MAN