PDA

View Full Version : critique my process/thinking

parboy
12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Would like opinions on a few things. I am new to detailing, so any help is appreciated!

Products I currently have:
- Meguiars NXT wash
- DP clay and lube
- WG twins
- Klasse twins
- Souveran paste wax
- Meguiars hyper dressing

Products I am planning to buy soon:
- Griots DA polisher
- Lake Country 6.5" hydro pads (3 each of cyan and tangerine)
- Lake Country 3.5" backing plate and a 4" hydro cyan and tangerine pad
- Pinnacle XMT pad care combo

I am planning to use said products on both my silver c6 and black tacoma. Both of these vehicles have just had a pro detail done with wash, clay, 2 step correction using menzerna products with a rotary, klasse twins, souveran wax. They are in great shape now, and I am wanting to keep them that way on my own. Every 6 months or so, my plan is to wash, clay, use the WG FG with cyan hydro pad, klasse AIO with the tangerine hydro pad, klasse sealant glaze by hand, then souveran by hand after waiting 24 hours for klasse to cure. I'll use the cyan pad and WG TSR if needed for spot correction.

Would I be better served using the tangerine pad for the WG FG and adding a white or green CCS pad to my arsenal to apply the klasse AIO? Or is it ok to use the WG FG with the cyan pad followed by the klasse AIO with the tangerine pad as I originally intended? I still plan to apply the klasse sealant glaze and souveran by hand, unless I could get better results applying the klasse sealant glaze with the Griots and a finishing pad (which color?). Since I haven't bought the pads yet, I am not married to the hydro pads and can go with whatever else is needed. They just sounded good in the reviews I have read and I am trying to keep it simple with 2 pad choices. I am not opposed to the two hydro pads and some CCS pads if needed.

Anything I am missing or overlooking? Anything that could be done differently with the products mentioned? Any help and insight is appreciated!

For a future thread, I am planning on working on my Dad's red 996 TT porsche. It needs a TON of help as it has lots of swirls and spiderwebs. It's never had a buffer/polisher on it as far as I know. My plan there is to wash, clay, WG TSR with cyan, WG FG with tangerine, klasse AIO either by hand or a white or green ccs pad, klasse sealant glaze by hand, souveran by hand.

calhoun1
12-15-2009, 10:54 AM
If that paint needs more help, you could always grab this kit:
Menzerna Complete Ceramic 5.5 Inch Polishing Pad Kit (http://autogeek.net/dual-action-ceramic-kit.html)

I am a fan of the 5.5" LC pads with a DA polisher. These pads have served me well. The Menzerna also gives you some good options for stubborn swirls/deeper scratches.

There is also the 105/205 combo from Megs, though I can't speak for that as I have never used it.

The LC 5.5" blue pads are also nice to have around for AIO type stuff. I am not sure where you Hydro pads fit in the LC world, but that is my .02

Bunky
12-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I would get some black finishing pads in case the other pads do not finish well especially on black or soft paints.