PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a more aggressive clay?

WRAPT C5Z06
12-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I used clay magic on my 07 z06. Paint still feels gritty after claying using the plastic bag test. I used some poretty good elbow grease. CAr has not been re-painted. Should I try a more aggressive clay? If so, what kind?

ICEMAN
12-14-2009, 08:12 PM
damn, i did an older nissan with 200K sits outside 24 hours a day and had VERY bad feeling paint... now its smooth as glass!!! all done with Mother Clay...

Old Tiger
12-14-2009, 08:21 PM
I am not a pro but I dont think you should ever apply elbow grease with clay. If after clay. paint is still gritty try FK Paint Decon Kit . If still gritty after FK, try Menzerna or M105.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Feels smooth will my fingers, but not the plastic bag test.

sullysdetailing
12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
What I have found when claying a car before polishing the car is sometimes it feels a little gritting in some places but after polishing it goes away. I worked on a white STI that had heavy rail dust from the breaks and from sitting on the dealer lot. I used Wolfgang clay and it took 90% of the rail dust off and the polishing took off the rest.

If you are going to polish your car after claying do a test spot and see if the grittiness goes away. If it does continue polishing if it doesn’t step up and use a more aggressive clay. Please take not when using aggressing clay you will have to polish the car because the clay will mar the finish.

ScottB
12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
did you just slide the clay over the finish once ?? You actually cup the clay in hand and move it back and forth (once area is properly lubricated) until smooth as butter. Work small areas. (I divide all panels in 1/2). Then rewash area after first claying to remove any loosened contaminents still sitting on paint.

HighEndDetail
12-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Does the whole car feel gritty, or just certain areas ?
And how long did you go over an area with the clay. Was it once or twice, or did you go over it a few times.