PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Detailing ? Spray or Paste

SuperGlide
12-12-2009, 09:07 PM
When detailing motorcycles do all of you use a spray chrome cleaner or paste type product when polishing a motorcycle in fair condition or both ?

OCDetails
12-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I've never used a spray product to clean or protect chrome. I've always used a chrome polish in a can and for the past couple years I finish up with Wolfgang Metal Sealant to protect it going forward.

SuperGlide
12-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I like to start with a spray cleaner to get a good base, then can polish and finish with a paste. I guess that's why it takes me 6-7 hours LOL !

OCDetails
12-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I guess it just depends on the condition that it starts out in. The bikes I've detailed have typically been in pretty good shape. Occasionally I'll get one with rust on the rims and wire spokes that needs some TLC, but most of the time there really isn't a whole lot of damage on the chrome that needs to be sorted out. A light chrome polish and the metal sealant is all it takes to make it look factory fresh. But it is always good to come prepared if you haven't seen the bike before. Since most of my bike details have been a product of seeing it in the garage while I'm there detailing their car, I'm not often blindsided by a hairy bike project that I didn't know what to expect on. ;)

SuperGlide
12-12-2009, 11:07 PM
I guess it just depends on the condition that it starts out in. The bikes I've detailed have typically been in pretty good shape. Occasionally I'll get one with rust on the rims and wire spokes that needs some TLC, but most of the time there really isn't a whole lot of damage on the chrome that needs to be sorted out. A light chrome polish and the metal sealant is all it takes to make it look factory fresh. But it is always good to come prepared if you haven't seen the bike before. Since most of my bike details have been a product of seeing it in the garage while I'm there detailing their car, I'm not often blindsided by a hairy bike project that I didn't know what to expect on. ;)

Good tip on the come prepared, sometimes they can surprise you :xyxthumbs:

ScottB
12-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Blu job --- no substitute for chrome !

TLMitchell
12-13-2009, 11:47 AM
When detailing motorcycles do all of you use a spray chrome cleaner or paste type product when polishing a motorcycle in fair condition or both ?

Never Dull wadding on chrome and aluminum in decent condition. Megs Mag & Aluminum Wheel polish or Wenol on stuff that's degraded. Blu Job on discolored exhaust pipes.

I had some Harley uncoated aluminum wheels that were cruddy and pitted. S100 Polishing Soap worked well on the worst of it and Megs M&AW polish brought 'em back as well as they could be. Not much you can do about the pitting.

TL

OCDetails
12-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Blu job --- no substitute for chrome !

I've got some of that which I bought for a boat exhaust that was bluing because of the fuel mixture. Too lean or too rich... I can't remember which one causes it. Anyway, I've never used it for anything else. Since it is just a powder and kind of tricky to use anyway, I didn't want to waste it by experimenting. What do you use it for and what kind of results do you get? The bike I ride right now has very little chrome on it other than the pipes, but if Blu Job gets swirls out of chrome or something like that, then I'll be out in the garage tomorrow polishing away. :) I've honestly never really experimented at all with it, so I'm at a lost as to what it does other than get bluing off exhausts.

Strokin04
12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
The best I found for chrome and aluminum on motorcycles is Mr. Buffer metal polish that I bought locally at a Big Dog motorcycle shop. This stuff is awesome and inexpensive for how little you use.