PDA

View Full Version : What should my detail price range be?

Pages : [1] 2 3

PAR Detailing
12-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I have detailed for many years and alot of my cars are for my fathers leasing company (that price is fixed). I do some on the side also (what I would like suggestions for). They are mainly daily drivers and the customers just look at the "shine" and the interior. I do a really really nice job on the interiors and on the exterior I typically buff with a product either a polish or a AIO like Megs d151. Something to clean the paint a little and polish it up (I have a milwakee rotary and Megs DA). I also then wax it. Depending on the car either a hand wax w/ carnauba or seal it using a "wax spreader" from walmart (thats all its good for but its quick). I charge around $100-115 for a car right now (4-5 hrs) for a full detail. The deal they get is second to none and that is why I stay busy, but I feel for the job I do I am cheating myself. Years ago when I wasnt as good my prices were ok but now what I do I think $115 isnt fair for me IMO. I am also a college kid doing this and you would be supprised how some people dont trust a "young punk" like me with their car even though I have more knowledge than 98% of the people in my city.

What do you think I should charge????

AND I would like to get into "showcar" detailing also. How should I get my name out for that??? I would like to know how long I can expect to spend on that and what should I charge for that????

Thanks, (sorry for the long post I just want everyone to know my whole situation)
Jon

frosty
12-12-2009, 05:18 PM
That's a loaded question. You're worth what you get. There are so many factors involved like the types of cars you're getting. If all you get are daily drivers, then personally $100 to $150 could be way up there and I wouldn't pay it. I'd go to Auto Bell and then correct it before I sold it. That's totally different than if I had a Lotus or Porsche I wanted taken care of.

Technically all a DD needs is a good wax or sealant and only worry about swirls etc when the car is sold. This could be debated forever because every person looks at things different and I'm sure I'll get slammed for that comment but I've just started and already heard these comments and I can't argue with them. One guy actually said that and I responded you're right. He actually went ahead and let me do his car for being honest with him and I got a Daaayuumm when he picked it up.

By day I'm a software developer and I've learned when you do fixed pricing somebody almost always gets screwed. (I'm not going into an explanation on this on the forum.) So instead of thinking $115 per car, $150 per car, think up some base prices and what your time is worth and give an estimate based on the customers expecations and the condition of the car when they roll up. Give them options of what they want and if they choose them you'll get a fair price for your time and expertise.

Plus again what kind of car is it. Somebody with a GT 40 will pay more for more car than somebody in the minivan they drive everyday.

You say you're staying busy at $115, try incrementing it a little. SullyDetailing as well as some others have listed their website and they are top notch so maybe look at their sites and use it as a gauge.

Get an accounting package and inventory your items and keep track of all your product costs, utilities etc and decide what you have to make for your experience. Also, think of other ways where you have to do less work and use less product such as headlight restoration or maybe specialize in taking out scuffs in paint. I had a friend that paid $150 to get a light scratch out of his BMW which was wetsanded and buffed and probably took an hour or two but he'd cringe on spending $150 for "just a detail". People pay for experience and you separate yourself by doing things others can't do. That's in any business.

I wonder if getting into paintless dent repair, headlight restoration, and wheel rash & paint correction are more profitable than the wash, wax & interior cleaning.

Everybody on here could probably write 10 pages of points, counter points but in the end you'll have to research your competition, the market for your area etc and come to this decision.

PAR Detailing
12-12-2009, 05:59 PM
"You are worth what you get"

This is a very true statement! And I totally agree with it. I dont have set prices, each vehicle is different and I give estimates based on what they want and how bad the vehicle is. I just feel that what I am doing is worth the $100 atleast and Im not trying to take advantage of anyone and I also dont want to get screwed over either. I just am looking for peoples inputs on what they think about my business (I know its hard to judge not seeing anything ive done) Im new to internet forums so when I do a car Ill take pictures of it before and after and show you. Maybe Im thinking too highly of what Im doing or too highly of what people would be willing to pay. I dont know thats why Im interrested in getting everyone elses opinions.
P.S. Thanks for the reply and your input!
Jon

Bradshaw
12-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Raise your prices

sullysdetailing
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Take a look here:
Services/Pricing (http://www.sullysdetailing.com/Services_Pricing.html)

VR8
12-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Use the supply vs demand equation Jon. If you're busy at $115 then raise your prices. If you are looking for work and a guy doesn't want to pay $150, but will pay $125, take it. I personally would do a job for almost anything to keep my week busy at this point in my new business (don't let that get out!). Working for something is better than not working.

sparkie
12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Take a look here:
Services/Pricing (http://www.sullysdetailing.com/Services_Pricing.html)
:props: Nice web site....

detail viking
12-13-2009, 07:33 PM
VR8 said it best. :iagree:

Mirror Detailing
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
To get your name out there, I whored myself out. I was selling $100-120 packages for $60, and $200 packages for $90 for my first 3 months to get my name out there. Then after that I kicked up the price and still and getting business, because once people see what you can do, and believe in your price to come back to you.

Plus you have to take into account, what the price range in your area is. You charge more than others who do more work for less, with a better outcome you will lose lots of business. So....

sullysdetailing
12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
:props: Nice web site....

Thank You. In the process of getting a new one made.

DentMedic
12-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Hello across the board ! I couldn't help but jump in on this topic and would like to say. Don't be the cheapest guy on the block after doing detailing on & off for 20 + yrs. It never has helped to " ##### myself out" I leave that to the young & inexperienced car-washer aka wan-a-bee detailer.

You want to charge more ? up-sale your products, do the best you can &
keep an eye on your time. Remember time is money ! If you look at detailing as a hobby than that what's what it will be. Maybe you'll get by with some pocket change after you buy your supply's but is that all you really want ?

Even after several years whenever I have a client bring me a BMW or a Vett, Jag I still say to myself & the customer I feel like I should pay you just to rub my hands all over her ???
I'll just pass on the minivan growing the penicillin under the seat.
JMHO

T Riddle
12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Hello across the board ! I couldn't help but jump in on this topic and would like to say. Don't be the cheapest guy on the block after doing detailing on & off for 20 + yrs. It never has helped to " ##### myself out" I leave that to the young & inexperienced car-washer aka wan-a-bee detailer.

You want to charge more ? up-sale your products, do the best you can &
keep an eye on your time. Remember time is money ! If you look at detailing as a hobby than that what's what it will be. Maybe you'll get by with some pocket change after you buy your supply's but is that all you really want ?

Even after several years whenever I have a client bring me a BMW or a Vett, Jag I still say to myself & the customer I feel like I should pay you just to rub my hands all over her ???
I'll just pass on the minivan growing the penicillin under the seat.
JMHO

I agree. When starting out its best to set your prices "fair" for the work and results your getting. Work another job and detail part time. You will get just a few bites at first but eventually it will take off.

DentMedic
12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
That's the best way. Don't be the cheapest guy in the neighborhood they wouldn't be there next month. Check what more
"well established" detailers are charging in your area then you'll know where to start.

But up-selling the best products & knowing how to sell to that peculiar type of customer will bring you the best return on your investment. Also knowing what product to use on what color car can be extremely valuable.

Don't worry about the person looking to pinch a dollar here & there they wouldn't be happy even with good service.
Also don't fall for the line I have lots of friends I'll pass on your card too !
A good thing this time of year is to sell Gift Certificates. But keep in mind payback is a ##### when they call for an appointment & its time to follow thru.

IF THEY HOLLER THEN BACK IT DOWN A DOLLAR ! :props:

Wendell Jarvis
12-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Sounds like you are already pricing at a fair point, taking into consideration that you spend 4-5 hours on a full detail, it takes me twice that long to fully detail a car from top to bottom, guess I am too anal when it comes to detailing, I could never do one that quick and fill that I did a great job(not saying that it can't be done,not sure what all your detailing process entails)but when I turn my cars back to my customers I can rest my head knowing I WOWed them....I charge $150.00 to $250.00 on full details, depending on size of vehicle.

SRHTX
12-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Here is my problem. It also depends on where you live. Since I live right next door to Mexico, there are some hand car wash places all across the Rio Grande Valley. They charge $5.00, or more for a car wash. Do they do the best? LMAO...... right....... These places have no idea how to detail a vehicle. Heck. They really do not know how to WASH a vehicle. My Hand Wash – Premium prices start @ $35.00 and up. That includes wash, master wheel brush, door jams, dry, quick detail spray, vacuum, and wipe down all interior panels, window clean and tire dressing. That is what I'm not looking to do. 98% of my work is detailing. My Hand Wash and Buff Wax, does not include clay work, $75.00 +. My two stage rates go from $135.00 +. Interior work, I charge $30/hr.

Just my $.02