PDA

View Full Version : Light bulbs for garage to uncover defects?

WRAPT C5Z06
12-12-2009, 09:52 AM
What's the best type of light bulbs to use in a garage to uncover swirls/scratches? I use bulbs that hang from the celing and are long and skinny(tube type).

MDetail
12-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Alot of people use the halogen stands i think 1000watt

WRAPT C5Z06
12-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Alot of people use the halogen stands i think 1000watt
Where can you buy those?

ScottB
12-12-2009, 11:18 AM
get a Brinkmann handheld ...

Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light, Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Rechargeable Spotlight (http://www.autogeek.net/brinkmann-xenon-spotlight.html)

sullysdetailing
12-12-2009, 11:19 AM
For the Light tubes. Replace them with LED light tubes. I believe the 4300K is the closest to the sun. 500w and 1000w light stands work good to

sullysdetailing
12-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Where can you buy those?

Home Depot

gearmatch
12-12-2009, 11:26 AM
One can actually see these lights on a post by Pampos in Show N'Shine,where he does a Aston Martin DB9.
As portable i think Brinkman dual xenon are the most used .

WRAPT C5Z06
12-12-2009, 11:58 AM
500w and 1000w light stands work good to
Will 500 show most defects, or will 1000 be much better?

Fly bye
12-12-2009, 12:24 PM
There are a lot of variables involved. It depends on where & how the light is hitting the paint, and the angle from which you are looking at it. The difference between 500 & 1,000 watts is quite a bit of difference. 1,000 is a lot brighter. Florescent lights can easily show swirls if your car is right next to one.

Depending upon the angle at which you are trying to view micro marring/swirls, halogens can sometimes emit too much light to be able to view micro marring/swirls, sometimes, depending on how the light is hitting the surface, and the angle at which you are looking at a particular surface, halogens can be blinding.

I like florescents, as I have four overhead rows in my garage (4 ft @ 40 watts apiece). Florescents can illuminate a hell of a lot of area, (horizontal panels) without blinding me.

It seems like halogen light either shows micro marring, or it doesen't. It seems like you have to view a panel at 90 degrees to see light reflecting from swirls with a halogen, whereas with florescents, the angle from which a swirl is/can viewed is more flexable.

But to answer your question directly, 1,000 watts is a lot brighter than 500 watts, thus allowing more defects to be seen easier.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-12-2009, 12:34 PM
There are a lot of variables involved. It depends on where & how the light is hitting the paint, and the angle from which you are looking at it. The difference between 500 & 1,000 watts is quite a bit of difference. 1,000 is a lot brighter. Florescent lights can easily show swirls if your car is right next to one.

Depending upon the angle at which you are trying to view micro marring/swirls, halogens can sometimes emit too much light to be able to view micro marring/swirls, sometimes, depending on how the light is hitting the surface, and the angle at which you are looking at a particular surface, halogens can be blinding.

I like florescents, as I have four overhead rows in my garage (4 ft @ 40 watts apiece). Florescents can illuminate a hell of a lot of area, (horizontal panels) without blinding me.

It seems like halogen light either shows micro marring, or it doesen't. It seems like you have to view a panel at 90 degrees to see light reflecting from swirls with a halogen, whereas with florescents, the angle from which a swirl is/can viewed is more flexable.

But to answer your question directly, 1,000 watts is a lot brighter than 500 watts, thus allowing more defects to be seen easier.

I knew this might get complicated. :(

I'm a rookie polisher just trying to see defects in the paint. My car is silver making it even harder to see defects.

Fly bye
12-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Any light is better than no light. Once you start looking for swirls & micro marring, you'll see what I mean by looking at certain angles. Go to a gas station at night, and you will notice quite a bit of swirls/micro marring on the horizontal panels in their light.

It's not really rocket science, it's just that there are a few variables.

Fly bye
12-12-2009, 02:20 PM
just trying to see defects in the paint.

Install as many florescents in your garage that will fit overhead, and I think you'll be good to go. I have four footers @ 40 watts apiece :xyxthumbs:

mfortier
12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Menards carries a light stand with 2 - 500W bulbs that can be adjusted up, down, side to side for $30 or so. I have one and it is great altho the original bulbs are a little "cheap" so you have to be careful during setup. I broke one of the bulbs and replaced it for $4 I think. Very happy with the result. Home Depot, on occassion, will have a similar light for a similar price but the Menard's version is $29.95 (or thereabouts) even without a sale. Can't beat it for hands free work and it gives off good heat if you live in a cold part of the country.

Martin