PDA

View Full Version : De-Badging

305Cane
12-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm curious what everyone's process is for de-badging. By process, I mean what steps and products do you use for removing the badges which come with the car, and those pesky dealership stickers/decals?

Thanks!

2old2change
12-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Most dealer stickers can be removed with the heat from a hand held hair dryer. A lot of guys use fishing line for the factory glued on badges. You may find removal of some badges or emblems complicated with studs that the mounting holes required to fasten them on are unsightly. This subject has been discussed before on the forum by a member with a ford tailgate where it was mounted with studs thru the tailgate . Not all aplications will be the same and require different actions for the desired results. Paul S

Correction: The thread I was thinking about was on MOL.

CYANiDE
12-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Really thin fishing line (use thick gloves) and a blow dryer.

Heat up the badge really good and slide the fishing line behind it and moving side to side till you go all the way down. Use Goo Gone to get rid of any residue left over.

Finemess
12-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Fishing line works good on some. I took them off my Colorado with it. Wash car first then remove and clean up with lighter fluid and wax.

Rsurfer
12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Really thin fishing line (use thick gloves) and a blow dryer.

Heat up the badge really good and slide the fishing line behind it and moving side to side till you go all the way down. Use Goo Gone to get rid of any residue left over.
I did exactly what you posted, but found alcohol to work much better than Goo Gone.

RaskyR1
12-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Most dealer stickers can be removed with the heat from a hand held hair dryer. A lot of guys use fishing line for the factory glued on badges. You may find removal of some badges or emblems complicated with studs that the mounting holes required to fasten them on are unsightly. This subject has been discussed before on the forum by a member with a ford tailgate where it was mounted with studs thru the tailgate . Not all aplications will be the same and require different actions for the desired results. Paul S

Correction: The thread I was thinking about was on MOL.

+1

3M adhesive remover for any remaining glue and a plastic razor blade.

The plastic emblems which have a 2 sided foam tape holding them on require a little bit of dwelling time for the adhesive remover to work well.

1hawaii50
12-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I've used dental floss with really good results. Let the car sit in the sun for a while so the badge gets nice and warm. The wax coating on the dental floss will make it glide smoothly between the badge and the body panel. You can remove the residual tape/glue with any number of different products.

christian900se
12-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Dental floss, a hairdrier, and some Goo-gone took off the 13 year old badges on my car (after some real effort however).

Rsurfer
12-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Dental floss, a hairdrier, and some Goo-gone took off the 13 year old badges on my car (after some real effort however).Did the color coat uner the clear seem brighter or glossier.. leaving an outline?

turbos17
12-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Kit string works the best for me and you don't have to use any gloves. Then goof off to remove the residue then polish and you are all done.

ScottB
12-12-2009, 07:30 AM
dental floss .... then 3M Adhesive Remover as needed. Becareful as some badges have pins to sturdy them into finish and thus might leave a hole and thus need to replace badge.

christian900se
12-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Did the color coat uner the clear seem brighter or glossier.. leaving an outline?

Yes! It left an outline in the paint even after polishing with 203 and 85rd, but it would kind of show up after a while. I would wipe it over with some QD and it would show up again later.

sullysdetailing
12-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Stickers you can heat up a little with a hair drier and peel off use goo gone or alcohol to remove the glue.

For Badges like the raised chrome ones heat up with a hair drier and use fishing line to carefully but it behind the letters and work it till they are completely gone. To remove the foam and glue left behind use a 3m eraser wheel or terry cloth and goo gone.

305Cane
12-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the great replies, folks. I appreciate it! :xyxthumbs:

christian900se
12-14-2009, 06:10 PM
You are welcome, I know I have been here before and appreciate people's help so its nice to be able to give it back once in a while.