PDA

View Full Version : polish/rubbing compound, help asap

corolla619
12-10-2009, 11:33 PM
getting ready to re-spray a 2 inch by 3 inch section on my roof. bad snow storm=canopy hit my car. not bad at all but i will definetly do this little section myself.

so i haved all my ducks in order but need to know what polish/rubbing compound will work. i need to buy an otc product like from autozone etc. and this area is so small and in a hard to reach spot, my machine will be quite tough to use. so i also need a recommendation on either a polish or rubbing compound that will work by hand after i'm done wetsanding the area.

please help.

turbos17
12-11-2009, 12:13 AM
^ Look for any of the Meg's Professional line. They should be @ PepBoy's, Auto Zone, Kragen, and even your mom and pop detailing shops. Good luck!

Rsurfer
12-11-2009, 01:06 AM
getting ready to re-spray a 2 inch by 3 inch section on my roof. bad snow storm=canopy hit my car. not bad at all but i will definetly do this little section myself.

so i haved all my ducks in order but need to know what polish/rubbing compound will work. i need to buy an otc product like from autozone etc. and this area is so small and in a hard to reach spot, my machine will be quite tough to use. so i also need a recommendation on either a polish or rubbing compound that will work by hand after i'm done wetsanding the area.

please help.I don't understand why it would be hard to do with a machine...if it's near an edge or sunroof you can alway's tape it off. I would use Meg's Ultimate Compoud or Meg's 105/205

corolla619
12-11-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't understand why it would be hard to do with a machine...if it's near an edge or sunroof you can alway's tape it off. I would use Meg's Ultimate Compoud or Meg's 105/205

guess i could do it like that. i will give it a shot with some 3m compound and a meguiars yellow polishing pad.

Misha
12-11-2009, 08:54 AM
do you have sunroof? i polished my roof out of it. makes it a lot easier, you might have to vacume interior after but hey, it worked

just make sure what you get is designed for machine polishing if thats what you gona use.

for roof you dont need much so maybe ask for some stuff in sample thread. couse smallest bottle of 105 will run you $30 at least

frosty
12-11-2009, 09:00 AM
As rsurfer recommended, you can get the Meg's Ultimate Compound in a smaller bottle at walmart or probably the other retail places.

Mike Phillips
12-11-2009, 09:44 AM
getting ready to re-spray a 2 inch by 3 inch section on my roof.

I didn't see where you said or anyone else asked but are we talking Rattle Can? Or do you have a Paint Gun and know how to paint?

so i also need a recommendation on either a polish or rubbing compound that will work by hand after i'm done wetsanding the area.

please help.

Which ever method you apply the paint with, Rattle Can or Spray Gun, you're going to want to let the paint dry and harden before sanding and polishing.

Please take some before and after pictures to share with everyone...

:props: