PDA

View Full Version : How durable is the flex 3401

wn1998
12-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I am down to getting either a griots Da or a Flex. I know the Griots comes with a lifetime warranty and the Flex comes with a one year warranty. They only problem is that I might use either one only 3-4 times a year. I think the one year warranty wouldn't really help me.

For those that own a flex, is it a stout quality made machine. Will it easily last 5 plus years without any problems? I really don't want to drop the money on somthing that might only last a year or two.

Rsurfer
12-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I am down to getting either a griots Da or a Flex. I know the Griots comes with a lifetime warranty and the Flex comes with a one year warranty. They only problem is that I might use either one only 3-4 times a year. I think the one year warranty wouldn't really help me.

For those that own a flex, is it a stout quality made machine. Will it easily last 5 plus years without any problems? I really don't want to drop the money on somthing that might only last a year or two.
I don't think the Flex has been out for 5 years, so difficult to say. I myself don't like plastic gears. 3401 is a great machine, but for the amount of time you are going to use it and almost triple the cost of the Griot...I would go for the Griot for your application. Not to metioned the lifetime warranty.

DLB
12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree with Rsurfer. For the amount that you are planning to use it, pick up the Griot's. Spend the rest of the money you saved on products and pads.

DLB

Bradshaw
12-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Considering the Flex price tag, it better be real durable.

Fly bye
12-10-2009, 08:36 PM
There were 2-3, or more reports about 1-2 years ago, in which the Flex backing plate got real hot/overheated, and little bits of plastic spewed everywhere. The recommended fix is to lubricate the felt ring with compressor oil or something like that. There have been 2, maybe 3 reports of the internals going bad on nearly brand new Flex machines. The distributor and retailer did right and stood behind the product.

Peeps that own & use the Flex swear by them. I used a Flex once, (my buddies) and I swear, I never got it past setting #4 There is no doubt that the Flex offers without a question, superior performance over the PC, as the backing plate has forced rotation, whereas the PC does not have forced rotation.

At this time, I'm not doing a lot of details on cars other than my own. My car looks hella bling, bling, achieved with PC. So, for now, I'm staying with PC.

If Flex offered a 5'' backing plate, that would be a major incentive for me to step up to Flex if I decided to go that route in the future. I just feel that, for that kind of money, a consumer should not have to lubricate a felt ring, and keep an eye on it with usage. The idea to lube the felt ring came from I think the distributor, or AG, not sure, but I just feel that the manufacturer does not have it completely dialed in. The manufacturer should of been the one to explain lubing the felt ring, not a distributor, or a retailer after 3-4 backing plates disintegrated.

VISITOR
12-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I just feel that, for that kind of money, a consumer should not have to lubricate a felt ring, and keep an eye on it with usage. The idea to lube the felt ring came from I think the distributor, or AG, not sure, but I just feel that the manufacturer does not have it completely dialed in. The manufacturer should of been the one to explain lubing the felt ring, not a distributor, or a retailer after 3-4 backing plates disintegrated.

true, and one should have a spare backing plate just in case as eventually things wear out over time like anything else...