PDA

View Full Version : Natural finish for interior vinyl?

Pages : [1] 2

LincolnZephyr2006
12-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey guys,
I have been using Zaino for a while now on my interior vinyl and leather. Now, the product is very expensive (leather in a bottle) and I just want to reserve it for my leather and use something else for my dashboard and vinyl components. I used poorboys.... and although I kind of liked it at first, I just want something natural instead of the matte" finish. That means no shine whatsoever and something that does not leave any kind of residue. The Zaino was perfect. Is there any products that will leave nothing behind while protecting? Right now, I am just using APC to clean and dust off my dash, but no protectant. I want to head everyone else's views.

PS- I do not want to try to use 303... bc it leaves the finish matte... and this is not what I want at all. I want the dasboard to look like the day I picked it up at the lot.... new and natural looking. Thanks.

tims04gto
12-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I like the same finish. I use 1z Cockpit pit premium, i dont know if it has a protectant but i love the way it looks. Im a newbe so thats just my opinion

frosty
12-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Just an FYI, I used Zaino in a bottle on a car this weekend. This week the customer/friend called me upset that their leather coat had bled on the seat and asking my why I didn't condition the leather. My response was of course I did and that's expecting quite a lot from a conditioner to expect it to prevent from things like that.

However, in calling around trying to find product to get the stain out we started talking about conditioners etc. They didn't speak highly of Zaino and some other "popular" products out there and claimed they contained silicone and other no no products.

They recommended another product. The caveat is they sale it so you have to take it with a grain of salt but indicated their products and others out there like them would protect against stains as well.

I'm going to check it out. The point is, I learned quite a bit about leather but calling a couple different stores that specialize in leather care & restoration and suggest you give a couple a call and explain your criteria. Well unless there are some certified leather experts lurking on here.

P.S. What was helpful, every home remedy, care technique I through at them they would explain the short and long term results of each one which was interesting.

ScottB
12-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Einszett Classic Cockpit ... Vinylx ... and Poorboys Natural Look

LincolnZephyr2006
12-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Einszett Classic Cockpit ... Vinylx ... and Poorboys Natural Look

Hmmm... all these claim that they leave a satin or matte finish... is that true? I want it to look dull as possible, but having the dash protected at the same time. Does anyone know the diff. btwn finishes on the poorboys natural and leather stuff? The leather stuff claimed it leaves a matte finish, but it is too much for me. I want it to look really dry!

So..... basically what I am asking to to find a product such as Megs. APC or APC plus that I can use for the dash.... but leaving protection instead of just cleaning. Thanks guys...

LincolnZephyr2006
12-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Just an FYI, I used Zaino in a bottle on a car this weekend. This week the customer/friend called me upset that their leather coat had bled on the seat and asking my why I didn't condition the leather. My response was of course I did and that's expecting quite a lot from a conditioner to expect it to prevent from things like that.

However, in calling around trying to find product to get the stain out we started talking about conditioners etc. They didn't speak highly of Zaino and some other "popular" products out there and claimed they contained silicone and other no no products.

They recommended another product. The caveat is they sale it so you have to take it with a grain of salt but indicated their products and others out there like them would protect against stains as well.

I'm going to check it out. The point is, I learned quite a bit about leather but calling a couple different stores that specialize in leather care & restoration and suggest you give a couple a call and explain your criteria. Well unless there are some certified leather experts lurking on here.

P.S. What was helpful, every home remedy, care technique I through at them they would explain the short and long term results of each one which was interesting.

Thanks for the info. I have been using Zaino for 3 years on the leather and it has done a great job IMO. I l.ove love love the smell and the protection... as it has served me well. But that is interesting.... was the leather you worked on may have had an aftermarket dye or spray on it or anything?

Lasthope05
12-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Hmmm... all these claim that they leave a satin or matte finish... is that true? I want it to look dull as possible, but having the dash protected at the same time. Does anyone know the diff. btwn finishes on the poorboys natural and leather stuff? The leather stuff claimed it leaves a matte finish, but it is too much for me. I want it to look really dry!

So..... basically what I am asking to to find a product such as Megs. APC or APC plus that I can use for the dash.... but leaving protection instead of just cleaning. Thanks guys...

If your looking for that type of product then the only one I can think of is Megs OID. Its a cleaner with UV protection that leaves the dash with a completely natural look. No shine whatsoever and doesnt darken vinyl. Its available OTC too.

frosty
12-11-2009, 08:46 AM
was the leather you worked on may have had an aftermarket dye or spray on it or anything?

Not that I know of. The seats were just dirty and I spent a lot of time cleaning them. Other than that I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I don't have a ton of experience with leather and went by what I read on the several forums and went with Zaino. Why it was so interesting to listen to a store that only focuses on leather explain why it's not really a "great" product along with some other popular products you'll see plugged on detailing sites.

Of course it could just be another opinion. However, alcohol or hair spray was widely recommended to try for what I need to accomplish and they explained in detail why it wasn't a good ideal unless a last resort. How initially it could work but the long term effects that could show up down the road. They went into the different kinds of car leathers and products that could do this or that. Not just try this it "works" good.

I'm a hard sale but ordered some of their stuff just because of the info they shared. Much like what happens when I call AG to ask Detailing questions. :)

acc1079
12-11-2009, 08:59 AM
You will want to try 1Z cockpit premium. Trust me. If you want it to look like there is NOTHING on it, like the day it came from the factory, then this is the stuff. It also leaves protection as well. EXCELLENT stuff.

1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html)

LincolnZephyr2006
12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
You will want to try 1Z cockpit premium. Trust me. If you want it to look like there is NOTHING on it, like the day it came from the factory, then this is the stuff. It also leaves protection as well. EXCELLENT stuff.

1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html)

Classic or that one? I may try this then.... I got scared bc it stated that "it left a low shine or matte finish," which is not the finish I am trying to achieve at all. But I will def. take this into consideration when putting my next order together after New Years!

supercharged
12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
1Z cockpit Premium all the way! No gloss - natural look!

LincolnZephyr2006
12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey guys,
What about the DP interior surface protectant? Does it leave a shine WHATSOEVER or is the cockpit premium my best bet? Thanks again for the replies. Please let me know how these two products compare if you can.

DP Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle’s interior. In addition to protectants, DP Interior Surface Protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/dp380.html)

LincolnZephyr2006
12-11-2009, 08:21 PM
The reason why I ask is because the DP is 32 oz. and its more for the money than the Cockpit.

Lasthope05
12-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I quick search would of gave you this thread.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20447-how-clean-protect-interior-leather-vinyl-detailer-s-pride.html

It looks matte to me.

LincolnZephyr2006
12-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks Lasthope... guess I will have the X out the DP... even though its by far one of my fav. brands on here. I guess I will order the cockpit unless someone can find something cheaper that will do the same thing! I was hoping to be able to use the DP because of the banana scent... haha.