PDA

View Full Version : windsheild polishing

Torched06GT
12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Is there anything that will help my windsheild. I have alot of pitting, waterspots, to make it look better then it does now?

Bradshaw
12-07-2009, 07:51 PM
If you have a PC, I use a 4 inch orange pad and Duragloss Nu Glass. Its not going to get out scratches or pitting, but it will clean out water spots, etc, better than anything Ive used. I also suggest you clay the glass first. If you don't have a PC, you can still use Nu Glass by hand.

skizot
12-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Depending on how bad the pitting is. Diamondite glass resurface creme and the LC glass polishing pads. Not the foam glass pad but the thin white polishing glass pads they make. AG sells both. If you call customer service they will get you setup with the right stuff. There is even a kit available with everything included with 4" pads and a backing plate.

Mike Phillips
12-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Water spotting "on" the surface is an easy fix, but pitting requires removing all the glass surrounding the pit until the upper most surface of the glass is equal to the lowest depth of the pits.

While this article is about paint, it's the same principals...

What it means to remove swirls, scratches and water spots out of automotive clear coats (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/faq/19986-what-means-remove-swirls-scratches-water-spots-out-automotive-clear-coats.html)

Imagine the clear layer of paint to be your glass, in order to remove those low points, (pits), you would have to abrade the glass till the upper most level of the glass surface is equal to the lowest portions of the pits.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/719/water-spots-art.jpg

You can try polishing using a number of different products on the market, in our Diamondite store there are options for working by hand or machine as well as options for removing spots and stains off the surface as well as scratches out of the glass. Pits would be similar to removing scratches.

Here's a link to the Diamondite webpage,

Welcome to Diamondite® The Ultimate Glass and Plastic Care Systems. (http://www.diamondite.com/)

If you see something that you're interested in give Dwayne or Bobby a call at 1-800-869-3011 and they'll make sure you're getting the right product.

:xyxthumbs:

99tl
12-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Depending on how bad the pitting is. Diamondite glass resurface creme and the LC glass polishing pads. Not the foam glass pad but the thin white polishing glass pads they make. AG sells both. If you call customer service they will get you setup with the right stuff. There is even a kit available with everything included with 4" pads and a backing plate.

Just a heads up. I used the LC glass polishing system with my PC. The backing plate ripped apart. LC sent me another and it happened again. After a few e-mails with the gentleman at LC. He recommend not to use the 4" discs with the PC but a rotary. He said 4" pads are OK which I haven't had an issue with.

Hope this helps.

christian900se
12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I second the LC polishing kit issue with the backing plate, happened to me. I just switched over to my 4" solid backing plate and used that instead which did the same job. The kit itself though is very good and the polish that is included did a remarkable job at removing wiper trails and some slight pitting.

I used it on some glass headlight lenses I got from a salvage yard and it significantly lessened the pitting and improved the clarity so it will help you in that regard. Just make sure to keep it from drying out!