PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Air Filter for ur Car or Truck

Pages : [1] 2

fubar
12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Just thought i'll bring this up how many of u guys really know about that cabin air filter. Older vehicles that i had didn't have this until i got a used 2008 Hyndai back in September of 2009. When i was going through the Owners Manual for Maintenance Requirements it said to check Cabin Filter. WOW!! i said to my self, hmm lets check that and it was very dirty. Went to my local part store $20.00 later. :eek:

Meghan
12-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Thats too funny, I got an oil change yesterday and they told me I really needed to change that, had some things growing in there!

agpatel
12-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Cabin filter is one of those filters that most people forget about then wonder why they are not getting the best airflow or getting some kind of smell, most of the time its not from this filter but it could be. I like to clean mine out, tap the large debris out and vacuum it out, when I do a oil change and change it every year right after pollen season. Keep it clean and you will have cleaner air in the cabin also if you have allergies it will help a ton in the summer months.

Another tip, spriz the filter with air freshener and will last a decent amount of time.

MisterShark
12-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I wonder if any 3rd party vendors make different levels of these (like they do for HVAC filters).

fubar
12-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I wonder if any 3rd party vendors make different levels of these (like they do for HVAC filters).

Yes there are places like Filtrex around my way that makes filters i can get a whole box made alot cheaper than those filters at Auto stores. Just make sure u get the pleated filters not the fiberglass filters.

Matt
12-07-2009, 03:42 PM
These things can stink up your car if they get smelly!

In humid climates they can start to stink like vomit if you don't change them every couple of summers.
Not nice!

I would like a HEPA filter combined with active charcoal. Filter out bacteria, all dust and odors.

ScottB
12-07-2009, 07:05 PM

I replace them every six months on Truck and annually on Vette. I found a cheaper version (charcoal too) from Windex and get at Rockauto dot com. Best part, you can always find a couponcode on internet for them too.

Harleyguy
12-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Most car manufactures recommend you change them every 15K if you don't change them at least that time frame you leave yourself open for more of a build up of mold and in some cases i have seen reduced air flow out the vents.Remember they locate these filters between the ouside air inlet and the AC/Heater unit.On the brand car i work on
the factory has introduced a after blower mode that turns on the A/C fan motor inside the car after the car is turned off and left alone for 15 mins it turns on for 15 mins and it helps dry off the evaporator to reduce mold

Jenn1270
12-08-2009, 10:57 PM
The nice thing about the cabin air filters are that they are quite easy to replace yourself instead of paying your local dealer or mechanic $100. I replaced both my engine air filter and cabin air filter for 25. The first generation pilots are a bit harder than most but still fairly easy.

I was quite disgusted when I saw what was in that filter. 25 bucks a year isn't so bad for better air quality.

Jenn

turbos17
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I change mine and the families every 6 mos. Super easy to do too! Just buy a quality HVAC filter from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. and cut it to size and duct tape the sharp edges once cut to fit. The huge filters are less than $10 and you get easy 6-10 filters out of them.

kurtdaniel
12-18-2009, 10:21 PM
heres a link on
how to replace cabin air filter..ive used this diy and works perfectly on my car..

Wolf-Strong
12-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Oh you have no idea....BMW has been putting those things in since the late 80s, and believe it or not, I have seen some where they have not been changed in 10+ years! The filters get so clogged, NO AIR was coming through the vents when I first got my car! Changed it out, and also had to vacuum out the area. The problem with the older bimmers is that to change them out, you have to remove the glove box, then remove a floor vent, some other trim piece, then pull the cover to remove the filter (which is essentially located in the center of the dash next to the firewall). They quickly realized their mistake and moved it to the engine bay making the change just as easy as changing the engine air filter (if not easier at times).

DonMTV
12-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra, and I haven't found any mention of a cabin filter when I check the parts sites. I don't have access to the Ford Manual I bought. If there is one, I'd love to change it.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
12-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra, and I haven't found any mention of a cabin filter when I check the parts sites. I don't have access to the Ford Manual I bought. If there is one, I'd love to change it.

my 07 f150 doesn't have a cabin air filter ..... may be the same

Jenn1270
12-20-2009, 01:58 PM
My husband's Dodge Ram 1500 doesn't have one either. I guess it is just certain vehicles. Honda's are the main ones I know about.

my 07 f150 doesn't have a cabin air filter ..... may be the same