PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 or G110v2

Pages : [1] 2

C30-Mike
12-05-2009, 11:46 PM
I am trying to decide between the Flex 3401 or G110v2.
Both have advantages and trade off from what I researched. Cost is not a factor.

My real deciding factor would be which one would break down products faster and finish nicely.

I currently have a PC (version 1), but just missing the extra power and ablility to finish quicker.

I want to avoid the rotary because I want it to a 1 step process. I will be using it for my persoanl use and not for pro detailing.

Thanks in advance

MikeyC
12-06-2009, 12:44 AM
If you polish using traditional methods and not KBM then I would get a Flex. I have one and it's definitely cut down on the time it takes to polish a car. Plus, I'm able to remove deeper defects faster with the Flex vs. the PC.

Keep your PC around though. You can still use it with 4" pads for tight areas.

supercharged
12-06-2009, 01:35 AM
don't even bother wasting money on PC 7424...I have 2 of them and they have NO USE...I have Flex VRG 3401 and Makita, and Makita is my favorite one, because it corrects defects faster, yet wears me out less, then that giant "vibrator" called PC 7424...

cdwaymire
12-06-2009, 02:08 AM
I have used the pc 7424 for a couple of years and just got my flex. I haven't used the G110v2, but if you are familiar with the pc 7424 the difference with the flex is night and day. The flex doesn't have the vibration, noise, and has what I call a soft start. The flex breaks down the polishes a lot faster than the pc 7424 ever thought of.

Bunky
12-06-2009, 07:09 AM
I have used the pc 7424 for a couple of years and just got my flex. I haven't used the G110v2, but if you are familiar with the pc 7424 the difference with the flex is night and day. The flex doesn't have the vibration, noise, and has what I call a soft start. The flex breaks down the polishes a lot faster than the pc 7424 ever thought of.

I also think the Flex is less sensitive to newbie technique even thought some will say noobs should not use a Flex since it is more powerful.

With the old PC models (have not used the Griots, Megsv2), you have to use the right pressure (enough to break down the polish but not enough to slow it down). This can vary from polish brands and can take time to figure out plus factoring in various paints (softness).

The Flex does not need a lot of pressure (just enough to hold it against the paint) and be properly guided to do its business. It also think it may be easier if you use too much polish -- enough power to break it down quickly -- a common newbie mistake.

I still use my PC for smaller areas (pillars) using 4-in pads.

MikeyC
12-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I also think the Flex is less sensitive to newbie technique even thought some will say noobs should not use a Flex since it is more powerful.
:iagree:

The Flex is pretty noob friendly. It's much more powerful than the PC and so extra caution needs to be taken with it, but it's still a really safe machine with a steep learning curve when compared to a rotary.

One thing I learned when moving to a Flex is that it's a good idea to tape up the car. When I had a PC I didn't mind cleaning a little polish out of the crevices afterward so I never used tape. When I moved to a Flex though the extra power can certainly chew up rubber trim so now I tape up rubber/plastic trim.

mchess1
12-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Owning the Flex, I would recommend it wholeheartedly since you have said cost is not a factor. Less vibration and faster buffing times are the key.

The only downside to the Flex for me is the inability to use smaller pads other then the edge system. I'm not a fan of that system, so have been using my hand till I can afford the mini griots or one of the cheap DA's.

Doesn't seem you can go wrong with either of your choices though, the second generation of the polishers have really made them attractive.:buffing:

Bradshaw
12-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Cost no factor. Easy choice really, Flex

Kevin Brown
12-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Cost no factor? Easy choice really. G110v2 :xyxthumbs:

I know, I know... childish, but I couldn't resist. Im the MAN

Rsurfer
12-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Go for the Griot's DA. Lifetime warantee!

C30-Mike
12-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the inputs.
Hope AutoGeek will have a buffer sale for the holiday.

The Flex is too good to resist.

unclestu
12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Owning the Flex, I would recommend it wholeheartedly since you have said cost is not a factor. Less vibration and faster buffing times are the key.

The only downside to the Flex for me is the inability to use smaller pads other then the edge system. I'm not a fan of that system, so have been using my hand till I can afford the mini griots or one of the cheap DA's.

Doesn't seem you can go wrong with either of your choices though, the second generation of the polishers have really made them attractive.:buffing:

:iagree: though I am using the Edge 4" pads with the Flex adapter.
What about the Edge pads do you not like?

sullysdetailing
12-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I am trying to decide between the Flex 3401 or G110v2.
Both have advantages and trade off from what I researched. Cost is not a factor.

My real deciding factor would be which one would break down products faster and finish nicely.

I currently have a PC (version 1), but just missing the extra power and ablility to finish quicker.

I want to avoid the rotary because I want it to a 1 step process. I will be using it for my persoanl use and not for pro detailing.

Thanks in advance

The Flex is more power full and does not have a clutch. Which can tackle almost everything you through at it. The down side it is heavier, more expensive, and you cannot change the backing plate

The Meguiars G110v2 not as powerfull as the Flex and is has a clutch. I dunno how it is rated power wise but it is lighter, you can change the backing plate and it is cheaper

Mike Phillips
12-07-2009, 07:31 PM
The Flex is more power full and does not have a clutch. Which can tackle almost everything you through at it. The down side it is heavier, more expensive, and you cannot change the backing plate

The Meguiar's G110v2 not as powerful as the Flex and is has a clutch. I dunno how it is rated power wise but it is lighter, you can change the backing plate and it is cheaper

Careful about using the word clutch, there was a big deal made out of how there's not really a clutch in dual action polishers.

Not how I always use this term now,

Free Rotating Spindle Assembly

Until someone comes up with a better descriptive term.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sullysdetailing
12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Ok sorry about that Mike.