PDA

View Full Version : lake country 5'' backing plate

87rx7chick
12-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Porter Cable 7424 Backing Plates- Dual Action Hook & Loop backing plate for your porter cable 7424, The best backing plates for the Porter Cable 7424 (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424-7336-backing-plates.html)
i bought the 5 inch backing plate as shown in the link above. quite disappointed in the lack of "flexibility"

it does seem that the basic construction is a very dense foam, but as far as being able to flex to contours of the body panel im not sure it will meet my needs

i was expecting the whole piece to be able to bend... but it takes a lot of force to barley curl up the very edges....

what makes this "flexible" ?

ICEMAN
12-04-2009, 07:19 AM
DO NOT bend it a lot. I went thru one and then got the Heavy Duty 5" backing plate, and it works like a charm!!! my regular 5" plate broke during my first car, so dont flex it a lot

i dont wanna say that I think its cheaply built, but the HD plate is built A LOT better!!

87rx7chick
12-04-2009, 01:21 PM
DO NOT bend it a lot. I went thru one and then got the Heavy Duty 5" backing plate, and it works like a charm!!! my regular 5" plate broke during my first car, so dont flex it a lot

i dont wanna say that I think its cheaply built, but the HD plate is built A LOT better!!

sorry but that doesnt help my question about why its not flexible. because its not flexible.. at all. yes its made out of a dense foam but its also backed with a hard disk.

at what aspect is this backing plate suposto be flexible....

Feed back please

87rx7chick
12-05-2009, 12:30 AM
any body have anything to say about this?

Rsurfer
12-05-2009, 12:39 AM
any body have anything to say about this?
Are you sure it's foam... I believe it's all urethane. I've broken 2 LC bp with an old pc. Got the HD bp and it got so hot in the middle that it melted the bp velcro and burned thru my 3m pad. I'm using the new meg's bp with the more powerful Griot DA and seems to be holding up well. BTW they were all 5" bp's.

87rx7chick
12-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Are you sure it's foam... I believe it's all urethane. I've broken 2 LC bp with an old pc. Got the HD bp and it got so hot in the middle that it melted the bp velcro and burned thru my 3m pad. I'm using the new meg's bp with the more powerful Griot DA and seems to be holding up well. BTW they were all 5" bp's.

ok its urethane. sorry for the mistake calling it foam. but its urethane that looks like foam LMAO...

seriously though.. why is it called flexible if it has a hard, non flexible plate on the back of the "urethane"

why cant any one answer this question?

Rsurfer
12-05-2009, 12:54 AM
ok its urethane. sorry for the mistake calling it foam. but its urethane that looks like foam LMAO...

seriously though.. why is it called flexible if it has a hard, non flexible plate on the back of the "urethane"

why cant any one answer this question?
The center which has a plate is solid, but the edges are softer.

87rx7chick
12-05-2009, 01:42 AM
The center which has a plate is solid, but the edges are softer.

point being, they call it flexible when it is not flexible when it is labeled flexible. see what i am saying?

Rsurfer
12-05-2009, 01:53 AM
point being, they call it flexible when it is not flexible when it is labeled flexible. see what i am saying?
I see where your coming from, but the fact remains that part of the plate is flexible.. so you lost your case, so move on and find a flexible backing plate like 3M.

87rx7chick
12-05-2009, 02:38 AM
I see where your coming from, but the fact remains that part of the plate is flexible.. so you lost your case, so move on and find a flexible backing plate like 3M.

wait, why are you being so rude.... i lost my case?

if you look at the 5 inch flexible backing plate only 1/2 an inch around the edge is tapperd downward and i guess 1/2 inch around the hard plate is "flexable" but again it has almost no give except for 1/4 inch of the edge...

do i need to post a video?

why would i have waisted my money on a LC "flexible" backing plate thats not actually flexible. maybe my questions can be answered by calling autogeek myself and asking for a refund/return on this seemingly pointless "flexible" back plate?

i dont mean to be rude but its kind of hard to hide my frustration with such a wrongfully advertised/described product and no one is actually backing it up