PDA

View Full Version : Trim Dressing Techniques

waxman
10-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi,

I am new at detailing. I just bought a PC 7366 and did my wife's van for practice this past weekend. I had read some good posts on other sites and one of the things I did was to use painter's tape on the trim. This worked very well.

I have read a lot of posts on this forum and have gotten some very good ideas. I have a couple of questions though that I have not been able to see answered.

First question is: what is a good technique for cleaning and or dressing trim around the car without affecting the sorrounding paint? I mean, after you polish, glaze, and wax the car, how do you dress the trim pieces (plastic, chrome, etc,) without afftecting the paint? Are there any favorite applicators? Also, what is good for chrome trim like handles or front grill? Would mothers chrome polish be ok? I use it on my wheels. The question of the chrome also has to do with my Tahoe having chrome running boards with black trim at the ends and parts on top. I polish the chrome trying not to get it on the black trim, then I use Meg #40 on the trim and try not to get on the chrome but is tuff to do.

Second question is: I just bought the Tahoe and is black with a pinstripe. I have neve liked pinstripes and I am thinking of removing it. What is a good technique? Should I attempt this myself? I read on another forum that 3M has a solid wheel that is sold at NAPA that attaches to a drill to remove the pinstripe. Essentially, it is a giant eraser. I saw pictures of a guy using to take it off of an Explorere with no paint damage.

Any help is appreciated,

sparkie
10-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Are there any favorite applicators? I use this, and cut to size!http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/200graysponge.jpg

First question is: what is a good technique for cleaning and or dressing trim around the car without affecting the sorrounding paint? I mean, after you polish, glaze, and wax the car, how do you dress the trim pieces (plastic, chrome, etc,) without afftecting the paint?

Just go slow, and and try not to get any on the paint. If you do, wipe off with a MF.

Also, what is good for chrome trim like handles or front grill? Would mothers chrome polish be ok? Yes

As far as pinstripes, never taking any off.

Welcome to AG.