PDA

View Full Version : Help: Toyota Window Trim / Molding

hughfree
12-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Need help with cleaning / prep techniques for Toyota Tundra window molding (see pics). What do the experts have to say?

Junebug1998
12-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Interested in the answer myself, my 2002 is starting to get that way. Looks to me like it needs to be painted or replaced however, with the rust and all. Mine has not started to rust but is getting these funny little spots on it like the finish is going away.

hughfree
12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Just for clarification...the imperfections shown are not on metal but are on rubber / plastic moding around the windows

Junebug1998
12-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Dont know about your Tundra but the molding around my windows is metal with some kind of coating over it.

hughfree
12-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Just went outside to check...the molding shown in the pictures is definately not metal...hard rubber or plastic.

I am editing my post...I do not have a magnet to confirm if the molding is a coated metal. I did confirm that the surface is some type of rubber or plastic (pushed the tip of a knife into the molding). My main point for stating this is that the contamination shown in the picture is definately not rust. It appears to be more like a mold or fungus. I have noticed this same problem on other Toyota's.

Does anyone have suggestions?

hispeed
12-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Need help with cleaning / prep techniques for Toyota Tundra window molding (see pics). What do the experts have to say?

My '00 Tundra developed the same thing. It was mildew.
I got rid of it by dampening a sponge in a diluted bleach/water solution and applying it to just the trim.
I don't remember the ratio but I'd start weak (4:1) & do several applications.
Wet the painted areas around it first.
Rinse & repeat if necessary.
Rinse thoroughly when you are done.
Where are you guys at? Mine got mildew while living in Florida.

accord
12-05-2009, 11:22 AM
hispeed is right, that would be mildew. hit it with some APC or something similar and put some elbow grease into it. I used a soft tooth brush and it should come right up, then coat it with your favorite rubber protectant and you'll be good.

man_karat
12-05-2009, 05:19 PM
is pb trim restorer can use as a protectant?

highline1164
12-05-2009, 08:50 PM
this happens alot with trucks and cars with rubber window trim. ive always had good results with simple laquer thinner. do not scrub, just pull a rag with laquer in one direction and it removes the mold and leaves a smooth flat finish

A4 1.8tqm
12-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure about using bleach on rubber... no idea, sounds bad though. Definitely try an APC to clean then something like Poor Boy's Trim Restorer. Whatever you use, post the after pics for us.

Actually, I could send you a sample of Poorboy's. I'd really like to see the results. PM me if you want.

ScottB
12-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Looks like mildew indeed ... clean well and then consider something like the Einszett or Wurth Rubber Sticks.

hughfree
12-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Guys - Thanks for your help! I will start with APC followed by a protectant. I will keep the paint thinner tip as a back up plan.
Thanks

hughfree
12-07-2009, 05:20 AM
My '00 Tundra developed the same thing. It was mildew.
I got rid of it by dampening a sponge in a diluted bleach/water solution and applying it to just the trim.
I don't remember the ratio but I'd start weak (4:1) & do several applications.
Wet the painted areas around it first.
Rinse & repeat if necessary.
Rinse thoroughly when you are done.
Where are you guys at? Mine got mildew while living in Florida.

My first experience with this problem was in Jacksonville, Fl...currently live just south of Atlanta, GA

tuscarora dave
12-07-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure about using bleach on rubber... no idea, sounds bad though. Definitely try an APC to clean then something like Poor Boy's Trim Restorer. Whatever you use, post the after pics for us.

Actually, I could send you a sample of Poorboy's. I'd really like to see the results. PM me if you want.
+1...I would use a cotton towel with the apc.

hispeed
12-07-2009, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=A4 1.8tqm;275305]I'm not sure about using bleach on rubber... no idea, sounds bad though. Definitely try an APC to clean then something like Poor Boy's Trim Restorer. Whatever you use, post the after pics for us.

I wasn't too crazy about using bleach either but like I said, 25%, wipe it on,wipe it off & repeat if needed. This was a one time occurrence after we'd been hit by a hurricane. Mold & mildew were growing everywhere.
No harm came to the trim & it looks like new to this day. If I had to do this on a regular basis, I would look for something besides bleach.
Remember, mildew is a fungus. (Have you ever tried to get rid of it it in your shower?) It's actually trying to grow microscopic roots into whatever surface it starts to grow on.I don't think APC is going to kill it off entirely.
That said, give the APC a try first & let us know how it works.