PDA

View Full Version : Flat Pads vs CSS Pads?

Clutch34
12-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Hey, just looking for some general pros and cons of using flat pads vs CSS pads. ie. length of time polishing/waxing, ease of use, safer, etc.

Thanks.

Mike Phillips
12-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Flat pads = 100% surface contact between the surface

CCS Pads or any non flat pad reduces total surface contact. There's a huge variable here because with some designs when you push down on the foam it will flatten out and you're back to 100% contact with the surface, with other designs, this doesn't happen, Cobra and CCS are two examples where it doesn't happen.

All foam pads seem to clean well on the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer.

That's just off the top of my head, pad design is really about personal preference which means you really need to try the different types and then figure out which ones you like best.

:)

Clutch34
12-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Are there no other differences between the 2? Both work EXACTLY the same? I think I read on another thread that flat pads create more heat than a CSS pad so for a noob detailer wouldn't a CSS pad be "safer" to start with until we getta feel of things?

A few people don't seem to like the CSS pads, so I was just wondering why.

LincolnZephyr2006
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Are there no other differences between the 2? Both work EXACTLY the same? I think I read on another thread that flat pads create more heat than a CSS pad so for a noob detailer wouldn't a CSS pad be "safer" to start with until we getta feel of things?

A few people don't seem to like the CSS pads, so I was just wondering why.

That heat is VERY VERY minimal my friend....

Clutch34
12-02-2009, 03:57 PM
haha ok thanks!

LincolnZephyr2006
12-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Don't worry about being "safe," especially with DA polishers. That is what rotaries are for. What you need to concentrate on is technique instead of just worrying about being safe.

CEE DOG
12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
The way I read it if you are using a DA you are probably better off with a flat pad (full contact) since you do not have as much heat issues

A4 1.8tqm
12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I say go for the flat pads, plain and simple.