PDA

View Full Version : Car Detail prep - what buffer?

Pages : [1] 2 3

01AUDI
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Hello everyone, new to the forum! I am driving a red Audi TT and would like to get into detailing a little more. I have always taken care of my cars, but now I would like to start trying to get the swirls / minor water spots off my car. Overall the car is in great condition, it just needs a little buffing to help the shine.
I have decided I would like to get a buffer and need some insight. I hear a lot about the porter cables, but honestly I dont have the money or the knowledge to really dive into that. It might seem bad, but I am not looking to be a pro or have a 100% correction, I just want to keep it clean, low amount of swirls and keep it shinny!

Ive been using a mixture of Megs Gold Class wash, Clay Bar kit and Quick Detailer now. I have used the NXT and a Caranuba Wax before, but i know a buffer will help a lot more.

I wanted to know if there was a buffer that I could use a swirl remover and a glaze or sealant with ?
I really want to keep it light, I have to be honest.. i dont have 10-20hours to detail the paint. I love looking at the pictures, but I am not there yet!

thanks a lot !!

ScottB
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Porter Cable XP or Griots Random Orbital is a great starting place for buffer. Using the best polishes (Menzerna, Megs, Wolfgang) is another. Patience is needed with any buffer to do it right however, the Flex just speeds up the work a bit (and costs more too)>

sullysdetailing
12-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Porter Cable XP or Griots Random Orbital is a great starting place for buffer. Using the best polishes (Menzerna, Megs, Wolfgang) is another. Patience is needed with any buffer to do it right however, the Flex just speeds up the work a bit (and costs more too)>
:iagree:
The flex is a bit heavy and can tire you out pretty quick if not fit. If you are just starting out I would say go with the Porter Cable XP or Griots Random Orbital you can go wrong. For Compounds and Polishes I would use Menzerna, Megs, Wolfgang, and Pinnacle. For backing plate I would go with a 5'' and use 5.5'' Lake Country Pads.

01AUDI
12-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I was really looking for a less-expensive route, so there is no other option ?

sullysdetailing
12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I was really looking for a less-expensive route, so there is no other option ?
Sale Prices:
Flex $299
Megs G110v2 $149
Griot Garage 6'' $129 (not on sale)
Porter Cable XP $119

If your looking for a good, cheap, DA go with the Porter Cable XP you will be very pleased

87rx7chick
12-01-2009, 08:03 PM
:iagree:
The flex is a bit heavy and can tire you out pretty quick if not fit. . . . .

wimp! hehehe.. no but it is quite a work out if your not usto working with big tools.

meguiars just released their version 2 buffer. i highly recommend this buffer, its been in the making for a while and is finally being released, pre-release was friday and full release is the 18th of this month, reasonably priced and a tough machine to boot.

porter cable seemingly has alot of vibration, griot not so much but griot internals, well theres a 1 year warrenty for a reason, some people have issues some dont.

compounds and polishes, i highly highly highly recommend meguiars 105 and 205. its VERY easy to work with. along side lake country's 6.5 inch purple wool/foam buffing head. it goes against anything people say about wool, it does not leave marks behind if used properly with meguiars 105 , i know from first hand experience, it does most likely need to be followed up with 205 but you can achieve amazing results just by using 105!!!!

:buffing:

if your looking to save a buck but still get a good buffing unit, you cant go wrong with meguiars, :props:

01AUDI
12-01-2009, 08:12 PM
I guess even after all the reading I have just started doing, I still thought there might be something out there that would allow me to just throw on a swirl remover and a layer of sealent, nothing high class but would take out some of the pain of doing it by hand and taking away some more swirls than by hand ! maybe the #105 and #205

tuscarora dave
12-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I would suggest to apply a coat of Poorboy's world Black Hole show car glaze for dark colored vehicles. It fills swirls very nicely (this stuff really works) and after about 1 hour wipe it off the car and then top it with the polymer sealant of your choice. This can all be done by hand and doesn't take all day to do. Your car will not be swirl free but the existing swirls will not be so noticable. This product works very well on red but I only have a picture of a dark blue car that was done exactly as I just described above.(by hand)

This is a friends car that we tested Black hole on and topped with a coat off PB Natty's blue paste wax. I have no before pic to show how bad the swirls were but The after pics look pretty decent. this car was marred badly from poor washing technique.

This is the only easy and cheap way I can suggest you make your car look much better. I would suggest that you take the leap into a starter polishing kit though as any of the units mentioned here are much faster than by hand and once you got the hood finished and saw the results you would probably be hooked and want to make time to do the rest of the car.

Ok here is the after photo of my friends car, Good luck

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/141.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/144.jpg

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/145.jpg

87rx7chick
12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
black hole ^ mentioned above, great stuff!!! listen to what he said :)

for a buffer that you plan to keep for a while. you should expect to spend 120-170$ with tax and delivery depending where you get it. it is expensive but well worth it, i bought one from northern tool, it was crap, i returned it!!!

01AUDI
12-01-2009, 09:01 PM
even for red ?

87rx7chick
12-01-2009, 09:06 PM
even for red ?

red is a dark color :)

01AUDI
12-01-2009, 10:09 PM
red is a dark color :)
:doh:

So I have a plan..
Meguiars Gold Class wash
Meguiars Clay Bar

What next..??

PoorBoys Black Hole Show glaze
Meguiars #26
Meguiars Cleaner Wax
Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax
Meguiars Quick Detailer

??(remember this is all by hand)??

GREAT help so far, i greatly appreciate it all.

ballz716
12-01-2009, 10:19 PM
What about Megs Ultimate Compound, Megs Swirl-x, Klasse All-in-one,Opti-seal. All can be done by hand and work good

87rx7chick
12-01-2009, 10:20 PM

So I have a plan..
Meguiars Gold Class wash
Meguiars Clay Bar

What next..??

Meguiars #26
Meguiars Cleaner Wax
Meguiars Quick Detailer

wouldnt the cleaner wax remove what black hole will do?

just checking.

also if you have not already picked up gold class liquid wax
Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax is unlike any other car wax! Tech Wax, a synthetic, scientifically engineered paint sealant, is an alternative to (http://www.autogeek.net/mg12718.html)
meguiars has some other wax thats just as good but also helps hide and bring back to luster, i used it on my scion that has normal wash marring and it made it all disappear, just a recommendation!

sullysdetailing
12-01-2009, 10:24 PM

So I have a plan..
Meguiars Gold Class wash
Meguiars Clay Bar

What next..??

Meguiars #26
Meguiars Cleaner Wax
Meguiars Quick Detailer

Steps:
Meguiars Gold Class wash
Meguiars Clay Bar
Meguiars #26 or Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax
Meguiars Quick Detailer if needed

Meguiars Cleaner Wax has cleaners and some polishing agents in it, therefore it will remove the Black Hole Show Glaze that you applied before. So it is not a good idea to you after. Also try using a Paint Sealant from Poor Boys or WG. It will last longer then a wax therefore it will keep the Black Hole Show Glaze on there car longer, so you want have to apply it ever 4-8 weeks instead you will have to apply it every 3-6 months.

Also try Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion it cleans the surface and fills in swirls