PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble polishing the side panels

Pages : [1] 2 3

mcpp66
11-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Well, I wouldn't say I'm having trouble, but I notice that I consistently get better results on the hood and trunk than I do on the doors and fenders. I'm using a PC with white Lake Country pads, SwirlX, and M205 as the finishing polish. After I use the 205 on the hood and trunk, I don't see any micromarring left behind. Using the same technique on the doors and fenders I can't seem to get rid of all the micromarring. Now, you have to look very closely on the doors and fenders to see what I'm talking about as it's very light. As it stands I'm mostly satisfied with how my side panels are now looking, but if I can do better I'd like to. Is micromarring on side panels typically harder to work out than on the horizontal panels? Is it something I'm doing wrong? Or is it just happening to work out that way for no real reason? Thanks.

MDetail
11-30-2009, 10:15 PM
I tend to have a little harder time on vertical panels as well, hopefully someone can give us some insight.

Rsurfer
11-30-2009, 10:18 PM
It's harder to get the buffer to lay flat on a vertical surface. Try taking a smaller section and work it till you have no miro-marring.

Impressions
11-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Try taking a smaller section and work it till you have no miro-marring.

Rsurfer....I agree...sometimes you just want to get things done quicker. slow down, do a test panel on the side just like you would on the top panels, guage your process and take your time.....good luck

Mark Preus
11-30-2009, 10:22 PM
It's harder to get the buffer to lay flat on a vertical surface. Try taking a smaller section and work it till you have no miro-marring.

x2, I know on I tend to do larger areas on the side of a car then on the hood and trunk. I think I do it without realizing it and have to stop myself.

mcpp66
11-30-2009, 10:25 PM

How do you know when you're done working in M205? Is it just like working in Swirlx or does a different rule of thumb apply to 205?

Impressions
11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
How do you know when you're done working in M205? Is it just like working in Swirlx or does a different rule of thumb apply to 205?

work it till defect is gone

Rsurfer
11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
That is why it's important to do a test section. M205 has non-diminishing abrasives so be careful. It will keep cutting so when you get to the level of finish your after...stop.

pt91
11-30-2009, 10:34 PM
scissor lift or ramps help....good seat and good light.

Rsurfer
11-30-2009, 10:43 PM
BTW you should reach max finish in about 20 sec with 205. Any longer and you will be diminishing the gloss. Unlike Menz that needs to be worked until broken down to get the max gloss.

mcpp66
11-30-2009, 11:07 PM
That is why it's important to do a test section. M205 has non-diminishing abrasives so be careful. It will keep cutting so when you get to the level of finish your after...stop.

So it doesn't breakdown like other polishes? That's what I wasn't sure of. Thanks.

mcpp66
12-01-2009, 12:23 AM
So can you actually polish too much with 205? I didn't think it was that aggressive? I wonder if I've gone too far on the areas that I've already polished?

2003 GMC Denali
12-01-2009, 12:40 AM
I saw this in a Video about the new Griot V2 Buffer...

Racatac Stool...

http://www.tcpglobal.com/images/racatacbuff.jpg

Da Fats
12-01-2009, 06:54 AM
so 205 with a DA is only a 20 sec work time Rsurfer? or with rotary? If its that fast I might have to give it a shot

mcpp66
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM
BTW you should reach max finish in about 20 sec with 205. Any longer and you will be diminishing the gloss. Unlike Menz that needs to be worked until broken down to get the max gloss.

I'm not sure how I should interpret this? When I polish I move the polisher slowly to give it time to work the surface...........are you saying 20 seconds for each single pass, 20 for each section pass, or 20 seconds for all section passes. If it's 20 seconds for the all section passes then I would be moving the polisher really quickly. I guess I just need more elaboration on the proper technique for M205.