PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding the hood

kaboom10
11-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Truck is a 2002 F-150 and the paint is dark blue metallic. I will be doing custom paint next year and am wet sanding out the factory orange peel. Used 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit then used meg's heavy cut and medium cut compounds. Put a coat of meg's #26 wax to protect it thru thr winter.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/kaboom10/wetsanded.jpg

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Your picture is at such an angle, what are you trying to show us?

Mike Phillips
11-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Meguiar's M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner and M01 Medium Cut Cleaner are fairly antiquated compared to what's on the market now days.

I'm assuming you used a rotary buffer with a wool pad with at least the M04?

If you only used M04 and M01 then chances are pretty good there's rotary buffer swirls left in the paint. The wax may conceal them and as long as you're happy that's all that counts.

Normally you would want to follow the above to aggressive products with some kind of cleaner/polish with a rotary buffer and even a step further a cleaner/polish with a DA style polisher.

:)

kaboom10
11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Meguiar's M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner and M01 Medium Cut Cleaner are fairly antiquated compared to what's on the market now days.

I'm assuming you used a rotary buffer with a wool pad with at least the M04?

If you only used M04 and M01 then chances are pretty good there's rotary buffer swirls left in the paint. The wax may conceal them and as long as you're happy that's all that counts.

Normally you would want to follow the above to aggressive products with some kind of cleaner/polish with a rotary buffer and even a step further a cleaner/polish with a DA style polisher.

:)

Sorry for the cell phone pic but if you compare the reflection of the chimney to the roof line you see the difference when you resize the pic.

Meg's is locally available and I used my DA buffer with an orange Lake City pad. Worked it till it almost disappeared. Was happy with the results as it will give me a flat base to work with when the custom paint goes on. I'll know more when the stencils arrive and I can see where paint will cover sanding marks.