PDA

View Full Version : polish,wax,polymer sealant

GaryD
11-30-2009, 09:06 AM
I heard of a guy doing a sports car, he puts the polish on, doesn't remove haze. Then he puts the canaba wax on, doesn't remove haze, then he put the polymer sealant on and after that removed the haze. It had the best shine ever. Anyone ever done this?

CTS-Veo
11-30-2009, 09:22 AM
unless it's a product line thats designed to be used like that, I can't imagine getting much durability out of the wax or sealant.

It's my understanding that a sealant will last the longest, when the surface is completely free of any contaminants/products. This is why when people use a sealant/wax combo, they put the sealant on first. I don't see a sealant being able to adhear to the paint with all of that residue still on.

ScottB
11-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Zaino and Duragloss use to offer a preping/polymer/curing agent that was applied, not removed and then coated with their sealant. I would not however do this with any other product specifically.

Also your friend has the wrong order ... its polish, sealant, then wax. Of course suggesting removing each prior to moving to the next step.

Mike Phillips
11-30-2009, 12:42 PM
killrwheels is right, both Duragloss and Zaino have products that you apply using a thin layer and then leave this layer on the paint and apply the sealant right on top of it.

While it's always best to follow a manufactures recommendations as they know their products best, in my mind, if you rub a smooth creamy product over the paint and don't remove it you risk potentially scratching the paint when you apply the next product because it's possible that the first product may have loosened some kind of contaminant or impurity and now it's embedded in the dry film you left on the paint.

It's probably not a HUGE risk, but that's how my mind works.

Apply and remove products one step at a time.

CTS-Veo posted some thoughts about your friends process that I also have. Buy hey, if it works for your friend and they're happy, then let them run with it. Of course you could also share the link to this forum with them and let them share their process and we'll all discuss it and see what shakes out.

:)

akimel
11-30-2009, 02:04 PM
When I first read the original article, I was baffled by the suggestion to apply a polish without buffing it off and then apply wax or sealant on top of it. But perhaps, as killrwheels has pointed out, the individual was using a product like Duragloss 601 Polish Bonding Agent (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-polish-bonding-agent.html). One doesn't hear much about 601, but it's supposed to increase the durability of any polymer sealant that is applied on top of it. Has anyone used it before? Has anyone used it with non-DG sealants?

GaryD
11-30-2009, 03:28 PM
well, its true with amazing results.

Actually, he uses a rotary buffer to apply the polish and remove scratches, then a dual action and polishes again, then paste Carnauba wax, then a paste polymer sealant, in this order. Its all on DVD but because of the rules here, not going to give that info out. I'm trying to get the brands from him.

CharlesW
11-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Zaino and Duragloss use to offer a preping/polymer/curing agent that was applied, not removed and then coated with their sealant. I would not however do this with any other product specifically.

Also your friend has the wrong order ... its polish, sealant, then wax. Of course suggesting removing each prior to moving to the next step.

killrwheels is right, both Duragloss and Zaino have products that you apply using a thin layer and then leave this layer on the paint and apply the sealant right on top of it.

While it's always best to follow a manufactures recommendations as they know their products best, in my mind, if you rub a smooth creamy product over the paint and don't remove it you risk potentially scratching the paint when you apply the next product because it's possible that the first product may have loosened some kind of contaminant or impurity and now it's embedded in the dry film you left on the paint.

It's probably not a HUGE risk, but that's how my mind works.

Apply and remove products one step at a time.

CTS-Veo posted some thoughts about your friends process that I also have. Buy hey, if it works for your friend and they're happy, then let them run with it. Of course you could also share the link to this forum with them and let them share their process and we'll all discuss it and see what shakes out.

When I first read the original article, I was baffled by the suggestion to apply a polish without buffing it off and then apply wax or sealant on top of it. But perhaps, as killrwheels has pointed out, the individual was using a product like Duragloss 601 Polish Bonding Agent (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-polish-bonding-agent.html). One doesn't hear much about 601, but it's supposed to increase the durability of any polymer sealant that is applied on top of it. Has anyone used it before? Has anyone used it with non-DG sealants?
The Duragloss 601 PBA is part of my Duragloss routine simply because the manufacturer recommends it.
While it doesn't seem to cause any problem, I can't really say that it is of any benefit.
My vehicles get Duragloss Aqua Wax almost every wash and another application of a LSP about every 4 to 6 weeks. They are also garage kept when not being used so durability is not much of a problem for me. :)
I have not used the 601 PBA with any other products.

CEE DOG
11-30-2009, 06:19 PM
well, its true with amazing results.

Actually, he uses a rotary buffer to apply the polish and remove scratches, then a dual action and polishes again, then paste Carnauba wax, then a paste polymer sealant, in this order. Its all on DVD but because of the rules here, not going to give that info out. I'm trying to get the brands from him.

Sounds suspect to me... What DVD?

GaryD
11-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Sounds suspect to me... What DVD?

I went back and watched the video again.

I told you guys wrong, he does the polish, removes the polish haze. Then uses an oil base polymer sealant but doesn't remove that haze, then uses water base carnauba wax, lets dry and removes haze. Sorry for the confussion. This is probably not knew to a lot of you.

Mike Phillips
12-01-2009, 12:14 PM
***House Cleaning***

Moved out of Tricks, Tips and Techniques (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/) and into Detailing 101 since this isn't really a thread that teaches anyone a real tip, trick or technique, it just discusses the Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro Wax.