PDA

View Full Version : Did my week old Flex LW 3403 just die?

Pages : [1] 2

frosty
11-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Using it on a car on and off for the past two hours. I'm using 6.5" pads. The motor has ran hot since the first time I used it but read somewhere this was normal and ran cooler as it got broke in.

In one session, running it on 2, it just looses power. You have to pick it up off the surface for it to run. I've never really had a power tool fail that I can recall.

I've unplugged it and got the 3401 out for now and I'm waiting to see what happens it cools off. I'm wondering if it has some heat protection built in and goes into a safe mode but I'd be disappointed if running it on two with hardly any pressure on it, it over heated.

I've had this unit for a week.

Anybody else experienced this?

THanks

VISITOR
11-28-2009, 07:43 PM
what gauge cord are you using?

frosty
11-28-2009, 08:20 PM
what gauge cord are you using?

14/3. It's rated at 14 amps and the motor is 10 amps. All my chords are 14 or lower. I'm aware of what can happen running an electric motor over a chord that can carry the amperage needed so I only have 14 and lower chords. I've got a 12 gauge Yellow jacket wire from Lowe's as well. I use that to charge my electric LSV.

frosty
11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
After an hour of cooling off, the machine is back up and running. Going to keep running it and call AG Monday to verify the length of warranty and contemplate if I should go with makita or dewault. Would be interested to know if anybody else has had similar problems.

Also, just to make sure I haven't forgotten something about electricity, I dug up a link on the subject.

14 Gauge Cords Any 14 gauge cord between 0 and 50 feet long will adequately handle loads between 10 and 15 amps.

The machine itself is 16 gauge.

frosty
11-28-2009, 09:18 PM
For the record, I started running the 3403 on a 12 gauge 10ft chord. Still gets as hot. 185 temp shooting the black portion with my temp gun.

I run the 3401 on the 14 gauge chord and it doesn't get anywhere as hot. I shoot the temp of it after my next session.

CEE DOG
11-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Had a simlar problem with Griots first time using it. Running it on six and it just shut down. I called AG and they are taking care of it. Sending a new one and taking this one back. It's funny you posted this... Well not really funny but interesting. I was thinking about asking AG if I could switch to a flex and credit my griots price towards it.... Sorry about your troubles. Keep us posted on which way you go etc.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Flex like the Metabo have a thermal shut down.

frosty
11-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Running the 3403 on the 12 gauge 10 ft chord, the machine shut down again. These are about 2 to 3 minute sessions.

I took and hooked the 3401 I have to my 14 gauge chord and ran it 3 minutes in the same form and it was 96 degrees when I turned it off.

frosty
11-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Flex like the Metabo have a thermal shut down.

It's good it's shutting down but why is it getting so hot. I'm running it about 2 to 3 minutes. I'm watching some football in between sessions and not in a huge hurry here. I can't imagine this being professional quality if this is to be expected. Hopefully it's just defective. I love the weight of the machine and the feel.

Not much if any pressure because the car's paint I'm working on is fragile. Again, my 3401 is running 80 degrees cooler at the same amperage.

frosty
11-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Had a simlar problem with Griots first time using it. Running it on six and it just shut down. I called AG and they are taking care of it. Sending a new one and taking this one back. It's funny you posted this... Well not really funny but interesting. I was thinking about asking AG if I could switch to a flex and credit my griots price towards it.... Sorry about your troubles. Keep us posted on which way you go etc.

Were you thinking about swapping for the Flex 3401 Orbital? The Flex I'm having problems with is the Lightweight 3403 Rotary. So far the 3401 I've ran about 4 sessions and it's night and day difference between the PC XP I had. Plus it's running cool or about the temp I would expect.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-28-2009, 10:15 PM
If there is not much pressure used or pad dragging I would think it is defective.

Rsurfer
11-28-2009, 10:37 PM
It must be defective. I ran my 3403 for 6 hours straight today and although a little warm at the head, no problems. Btw I've been running on 2-3 all day.

frosty
11-28-2009, 10:40 PM
It must be defective. I ran my 3403 for 6 hours straight today and although a little warm at the head, no problems. Btw I've been running on 2-3 all day.

Thank you RSurfer. Do you by chance have a temperature gun? I'm setting the laser directly on the middle of the black section which has the label stating what RPM each section runs at. Plus I run mine between 1 & 2.

I'll call AG and get an RMA Monday.

Thanks.

Rsurfer
11-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Sorry no temp gun, but I know it's not overheating. I can grab the head and it feels warm, meaning I could hold it there forever without being uncomfortable.

frosty
11-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Sorry no temp gun, but I know it's not overheating. I can grab the head and it feels warm, meaning I could hold it there forever without being uncomfortable.

Mine you can't. It would probably burn you. Are you using 6.5" pads? I'm using LC CCS 6.5" orange.

P.S. Do you have a 3401 as well? When I run it I can hold the black portion. It gets warm but not uncomfortable to the touch. I would imagine since they are both 10 amp they should run about the same. Plus I'm running my 3401 at 6 and my 3403 at 2.

Thanks again for your help.