PDA

View Full Version : Detailing My Scooter

lowkickqop
11-26-2009, 09:17 AM
I have a 2008 Roketa Sicily it is black glossy plastic. It has swirl marks and I want to restore it to have it looking new again. I purchased a bottle of Meguiars Plastic Polish for motorcycles. Will this do the trick, or should I pick up another product that will do the job better? I'd like to stick with meguiar's products. I am doing it by hand with microfiber towels. How do you reccomend I bring back it's original shine and get rid of the swirls on a budget?

ScottB
11-26-2009, 09:25 AM
If its in great like new condition you could use Plexus. If it needs some care try Novus polishes, Megs plastic polishes, or PlasticX.

lowkickqop
11-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I tried plasticX, it worked. not as well as I had hoped. I'm hoping the meguiars plastic polish for motorcycles does a better job. How can I obtain the best results by hand?

sullysdetailing
11-26-2009, 12:09 PM
When applying plastic compounds and polishes make sure you really work them into the scooter using alot of pressure. Then apply a nice sealant on top. If you do not use alot of pressure and elbow grease you will not see much of a difference

tuscarora dave
11-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I tried plasticX, it worked. not as well as I had hoped. I'm hoping the meguiars plastic polish for motorcycles does a better job. How can I obtain the best results by hand?
Try a test spot using a cotton terry towel instead of the MF towel. I am sure it will provide more bite to correct faster. I have used the Poorboys SSR line to polish headlight lenses with great results so I would imagine that you don't necessarily have to use a plastic polish.

I have this Meg's PlastX but since using the SSR line I don't ever touch the stuff anymore for any plastic polishing. To me it is just a waste of time. Just my 2 cents

accord
11-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but when detailing motorcycles and scooters can you not use the same polish/sealant/wax stuff that you use on your cars? I'm talking about all the plastic painted fairings, wouldn't it be the same as detailing the bumpers on our everyday cars?

Matt
11-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but when detailing motorcycles and scooters can you not use the same polish/sealant/wax stuff that you use on your cars? I'm talking about all the plastic painted fairings, wouldn't it be the same as detailing the bumpers on our everyday cars?

When he says black glossy plastic, I think he means that it's black and glossy in the way that a Playstation 3 (for lack of a better example :p) has black glossy plastic. The colour of the plastic is given by the pigment mixed into the plastic at the time of manufacture, rather than painted on like a bumper on a car.

You can generally use paint polishes on a pigment coloured plastic as well, but it will perform a little differently and you will need to adjust your technique.

lowkickqop
11-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Will Novus work any better than meguiars plastic polish?

lowkickqop
11-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks.