PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions...

CharlieC
10-04-2006, 01:10 AM
New to detailing. Have been reading here for a couple weeks or so and have a couple questions. I'm planning on getting a PC and normal use will be on a 2001 white F-150 and 2002 burgandy Explorer.

Does any particular product line better suit our garage over the others?

Same question about clay bars?

Max Wax or Nattys Blue to top it off?

Any suggestions on a product to remove old wax "overspray" (not right word, but I hope you understand) from body molding and vinly trim?

Thanks for any suggestions...I plan on ordering this week. Too bad I missed the moving sale I have been reading about.

FloridaNative
10-04-2006, 01:27 AM
Hello! :) Welcome to our little family. :)

AG sells a wide variety of excellent products to suit the needs of detailers. The XMT polishes rock! And Poorboys polishes too are awesome. You can't go wrong with either of these. The standard clays are pretty similiar except for the ultra poly clay made by Pinnacle. This one is an enthusiasts clay and can be used as often as you like versus the every 6 months to a year for the regular clay. Max Wax is an excellent wax and will bring out metallic flake. Natty's blue will deepen the paint and can mute some metallics it's all according to the look you are going for. For high gloss and shine you can go with a paint sealant. Wolfgang and the new DP sealant (green one) are excellent and so is Poorboy's EX-P. The general rule of thumb is warmth, depth and wetness =carnauba wax. High gloss, reflectivity and shine=sealants. I suggest you get a sealant and a wax so that you can experiment and see what look works best for you. :) As for the "overspray" on the trim pieces I think you are talking about wax stains, no? If it is wax stains you are trying to remove you can use peanut oil and it will take them out. :) Lots of luck to you. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

OH BTW, if you sign up for the Autogeek Newsletter you get a 10% discount code. :) Go to autogeek.net and scroll down towards the bottom lefthand side of the screen and there is a button to sign up for the newsletter. :)

sparkie
10-04-2006, 03:06 AM
What she said!:D

ScottB
10-04-2006, 05:50 AM
Poorboys, Pinnacle, and Clearkote are some of the easiest lines to use. Most use carnauba products for protection and will need reapplication every two months.

Most clay bars are very similar. Sometimes only the color is different. To date other than the Pinnacle Ultra Clay (light version, used for more frequent clay) I have found little difference. Wolfgang and Optimum offered some nice values for clay in the past, so I would look to them first.

aceshigh73
10-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Jen...

You just set the record for Smiley's in an AG post!!

JCB
10-04-2006, 03:23 PM
What she said!:D
The general rule of thumb is, warmth, depth and wetness = carnauba wax. High gloss, reflectivity and shine=sealants.:cheers:

FloridaNative
10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Jen...

You just set the record for Smiley's in an AG post!!

Did I??? Cool!! What do I win?? :) :p ;)

aceshigh73
10-04-2006, 09:10 PM
You win a $40 wash bucket......

CharlieC
10-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the input. Ordered the PC w/ XMT and Max Wax kits on Wed. Was hoping to have it for the weekend, but it looks like it will be here on Monday. Thanks again for the help...I'm sure more questions will follow once I begin using the goodies.