PDA

View Full Version : Paint Still "Gritty" After Claying

Pages : [1] 2

sparkism13
11-22-2009, 09:46 PM
So I recently clayed my car with Meg's Smooth Surface kit. I saw it removed a good bit of gunk and the paint felt smooth afterwards when I ran my hand across it. However, I did the plastic bag test where I stuck my hand inside a clean sandwich bag and ran it across that way. When I do this I can feel a good bit of "grit" Almost feels like there are grains of sand on the paint. I then concentrated on my trunk to see if I could get rid of the grit by more carefully going over it. Anyhow, I cant seem to get rid of the grit. Is this normal or do I need a more aggressive clay or perhaps an ultra-fine? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
So I recently clayed my car with Meg's Smooth Surface kit. I saw it removed a good bit of gunk and the paint felt smooth afterwards when I ran my hand across it. However, I did the plastic bag test where I stuck my hand inside a clean sandwich bag and ran it across that way. When I do this I can feel a good bit of "grit" Almost feels like there are grains of sand on the paint. I then concentrated on my trunk to see if I could get rid of the grit by more carefully going over it. Anyhow, I cant seem to get rid of the grit. Is this normal or do I need a more aggressive clay or perhaps an ultra-fine? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hey Sparkism,

Were you sure to keep kneading the clay as you were working with it? Has the car been repainted at all? Can you see the "grit" on the finish?

Just a few questions to help steer us in the right direction :dblthumb2:

Rsurfer
11-22-2009, 10:32 PM
You probably need a more aggressive clay. What was in the Meg's kit?

sullysdetailing
11-22-2009, 11:07 PM
If you cannot see the grit and the car has not been repainted then you need a more aggressive clay my friend

sparkism13
11-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Correction: It's actually the Mothers clay kit, not Megs. I cant see the grit, but I can see etched water spots and scratches (not swirls). I cant see any more contaminants coming off but, yes, I'm kneading often. No, the car has not been repainted. I did a Megs UC and SwirlX polish but it was by hand and, admittedly, not very good. I got really tired and gave up and decided to wait until until I break down and buy a polisher. However, since I focused on my trunk lid, I did do a very thorough polish on the trunk lid and still see water spots and scratches. It definitely needs a power polish. Anyhow, I dont think that explains the grit. I'm assuming ultra-fine is less aggreassive so I would need something like a medium to coarse clay?

Rsurfer
11-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Correction: It's actually the Mothers clay kit, not Megs. I cant see the grit, but I can see etched water spots and scratches (not swirls). I cant see any more contaminants coming off but, yes, I'm kneading often. No, the car has not been repainted. I did a Megs UC and SwirlX polish but it was by hand and, admittedly, not very good. I got really tired and gave up and decided to wait until until I break down and buy a polisher. However, since I focused on my trunk lid, I did do a very thorough polish on the trunk lid and still see water spots and scratches. It definitely needs a power polish. Anyhow, I dont think that explains the grit. I'm assuming ultra-fine is less aggreassive so I would need something like a medium to coarse clay?
Like a polish... least aggressive first and that goes for clay. Get the grit out before polishing. If UC didn't take out the water spots and scratches.. move up to Meg's 105/205 combo.

sparkism13
11-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Like a polish... least aggressive first and that goes for clay. Get the grit out before polishing. If UC didn't take out the water spots and scratches.. move up to Meg's 105/205 combo.

Can I expect UC to be more aggressive with a polisher though? I thought 205 was roughly the equivalent of Ultimate Compound anyhow? I dont want to buy any more polishes until I get a polisher and see what I can accomplish with what I have now. Make sense?

ziggo99
11-22-2009, 11:38 PM
No, 105 is the most aggersive, then UC, ScratchX 2.0, SwirlX, #83, M205, ScratchX 1.0, and then #80. That's just a small section of the Mirror Line products, but that's what Mike Phillips has posted before.

maxisiri
11-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Can I expect UC to be more aggressive with a polisher though? I thought 205 was roughly the equivalent of Ultimate Compound anyhow? I dont want to buy any more polishes until I get a polisher and see what I can accomplish with what I have now. Make sense?
Just to help understand cutting power of each product, please check this excellent chart: Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

Rsurfer
11-23-2009, 01:44 AM
205 is a finishing polish and UC is like the name say's... a compound although lighter than 105.

Mike Phillips
11-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Any suggestions are appreciated.

As others have suggested, you can try a more aggressive clay.

Here's a tip to help you troubleshoot the problem, if you decide to try a more aggressive clay, when you get the clay only clay a strip of affected paint in the middle of a panel.

Then after wiping off the residue and drying the paint, feel the strip of paint as compared to the surrounding paint that you have not used the aggressive lay over and see if your strip of paint feel smoother or the same.

You want to make sure you're in fact getting the job done and by testing to an isolated section and comparing you'll be able to tell.

If you were to get some aggressive clay and then clay the entire panel, if it feels smooth and glassy then the problems solved. If it doesn't and you clayed the entire panel it will be hard to tell if a more aggressive clay is working and if so how well it's working.

If you don't know what the offending contaminants are then it makes it hard to figure out the best approach. Testing helps to give you feedback as to your success or lack thereof.

:)

sparkism13
11-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Here's a tip to help you troubleshoot the problem, if you decide to try a more aggressive clay, when you get the clay only clay a strip of affected paint in the middle of a panel.

Then after wiping off the residue and drying the paint, feel the strip of paint as compared to the surrounding paint that you have not used the aggressive lay over and see if your strip of paint feel smoother or the same.

You want to make sure you're in fact getting the job done and by testing to an isolated section and comparing you'll be able to tell.

If you were to get some aggressive clay and then clay the entire panel, if it feels smooth and glassy then the problems solved. If it doesn't and you clayed the entire panel it will be hard to tell if a more aggressive clay is working and if so how well it's working.

If you don't know what the offending contaminants are then it makes it hard to figure out the best approach. Testing helps to give you feedback as to your success or lack thereof.

That was my thought process when I focused on my trunk lid and I do test a small area before I spend the entire day on the whole car. I actually learned that by reading your articles. :bowdown:

Thanks to all. It's cold here (in GA cold is 60 or lower), so this may have to wait 'til Spring when I have 14 hours do go through the process again. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

WRAPT C5Z06
11-23-2009, 01:12 PM

What brand is considered a fairly aggressive clay?

sparkism13
11-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Good question. I would like a suggestion on which clay to use next. I don't know where the Mothers kit falls in terms of aggressiveness.

Mike Phillips
11-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Meguiar's offers an aggressive clay,

Meguiar's Aggressive Clay (http://www.autogeek.net/meprdeclag.html)

There are others on the market too, mostly targeted at the professional body shop and detailing industry as aggressive clay bars can cause Clay Haze, which is a kinder, more gentle way of saying clay scratches.

These are very shallow and can be polished out easily after the offending aboves surface bonded contaminants have been removed.