PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to detail a black PT cruiser...need some advice!!

spike
11-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I am getting ready to detail a black pt cruiser (not sure what year, but it looks like early 2000's model), and I need some advice on the process that I'm planning to use. This will be done by hand. I have already washed the car thoroughly and dried it with a chamois. I inspected the paint, and it looks like there are some scratches (not too deep, though), and some white scuffs of paint where it looks like someone bumped the car. The paint also has swirls and holograms in it. The paint has definitely been neglected. I don't have time to clay it, so I hope it will still look good without that step. The paint doesn't feel rough when I felt it.

1. Megs Ultimate compound,
2. Klasse AIO, or Megs 81 hand polish (not sure which one is best),
3. Collinite 845 for the LSP.

I'm also going to use AIO on the windows because they have lots of water spots. I'll use megs trim detailier for the plastic bumper on the back of the car, and wheel wax on the chrome wheels.

Do you have any better advice for me about what products to use? I'd appreciate any help you can give me. This is my first time with a black car, and I want the paint to pop as much as can be done by hand. Thanks!!

:dunno:

olbear1962
11-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I am not an expert, the PT Crusier isnt a large car, and I wouldnt skip the clay bar. IMHO
It is amazing how claying the car makes the end result so good.... just my $0.02

DARK HORSE
11-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I am not an expert, the PT Crusier isnt a large car, and I wouldnt skip the clay bar. IMHO
It is amazing how claying the car makes the end result so good.... just my $0.02

:iagree: Clay it! If the car has not been clayed you should definitely do so before any polishing; otherwise you will be grinding in surface contaminates that don't wash off in the basic wash step!

spike
11-20-2009, 08:07 PM
:iagree: Clay it! If the car has not been clayed you should definitely do so before any polishing; otherwise you will be grinding in surface contaminates that don't wash off in the basic wash step!

OK... :awman: I've never clayed a car before, and since I'm a newbie, I'm afraid of screwing up my friend's car. Does clay really make that much of a difference? And if I clay, is there a step in my process (in previous post) that I can skip? Need more muscle endurance power in the ol' arms to do this big of a job....

DARK HORSE
11-20-2009, 08:28 PM
OK... :awman: I've never clayed a car before, and since I'm a newbie, I'm afraid of screwing up my friend's car. Does clay really make that much of a difference? And if I clay, is there a step in my process (in previous post) that I can skip? Need more muscle endurance power in the ol' arms to do this big of a job....

You won't screw anything up claying the car. If you feel more comfortable with an all in one kit; you can purchase "Meguiars" Clay bar kit from AG (here is a link) or if you need it quicker Walmart also carries them. Just read and follow the directions (it is fool proof) use the clay bar lubricant and keep the car well lubricated with it. No you can't skip any of the polishing steps. The clay bar just removes surface contaminates that washing does not remove. Remember it is VERY hard (to almost impossible) to do any kind of serious paint correction by hand. A DA polisher will give MUCH better results.

Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, meguiars detailing clay, (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-smooth-surface-clay-kit.html)

Laura
11-20-2009, 09:15 PM
OK... :awman: I've never clayed a car before, and since I'm a newbie, I'm afraid of screwing up my friend's car. Does clay really make that much of a difference?

The first time I ever clayed my car (a couple of months ago) I almost came in and posted a thread "What a difference a clay makes!", but with all the veteran detailers on the forum, I decided there probably weren't many who would want to read about my excitement over discovering clay. But since you're new as well, I can promise that you won't be sorry. I was blown away with the difference. And my car was only about three months old at the time. If you're worried about time, just do the horizontal surfaces (the hood, trunk, etc.). I don't think you can mess it up as long as you use lubricant. It comes pretty easy. Here is a review of the Wolfgang clay that Mike Phillips did. Regardless of the brand, this post shows exactly how to do it. Good luck!!

Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar - Review and How-to (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/21823-wolfgang-elastic-poly-clay-bar-review-how.html?highlight=clay)

spike
11-20-2009, 09:57 PM
The first time I ever clayed my car (a couple of months ago) I almost came in and posted a thread "What a difference a clay makes!", but with all the veteran detailers on the forum, I decided there probably weren't many who would want to read about my excitement over discovering clay. But since you're new as well, I can promise that you won't be sorry. I was blown away with the difference. And my car was only about three months old at the time. If you're worried about time, just do the horizontal surfaces (the hood, trunk, etc.). I don't think you can mess it up as long as you use lubricant. It comes pretty easy. Here is a review of the Wolfgang clay that Mike Phillips did. Regardless of the brand, this post shows exactly how to do it. Good luck!!

Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar - Review and How-to (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/21823-wolfgang-elastic-poly-clay-bar-review-how.html?highlight=clay)

Thank you so much. I DO feel better about claying. And I didn't think of just doing the horizontal surfaces....Duh!! Thanks again!

johntdoan
11-20-2009, 10:02 PM
i agreed with them you should clay the car fist. it will make a big different in the way the finish look. you should invest in a machine rotary or orbital will make life much more easier and the result are fabilous.

spike
11-21-2009, 04:20 PM
YES! Success! As good of a finish as I could get by hand. But it took FOREVER!!

Clayed for the first time, and it works great! But the only thing is that it is a PITA to wipe all the lube off after you clay a panel. Other than that, it's easy. The clay picked up a lot of junk on the trunk of the pt cruiser. The roof and hood weren't too bad.

After all this work, I have concluded 2 things:

1. Megs Ultimate compound works great, but it is a royal pain in the arm to take off. I CAN"T WAIT for my flex polisher that I'm getting for Christmas. Polishing by hand sucks! And Wolfgang products should be great to use.

2. I see why people love black cars. It was so nice to detail this car! I could really see the results of my efforts. The paint looks great, even by hand. I have always detailed light colored cars, and this was my first time with black paint. I really loved seeing it pop! But I guess the trade-off in owning a black car is you have to wash it all the time.

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate your knowledge very much.

:dblthumb2:

TLMitchell
11-21-2009, 11:03 PM
But I guess the trade-off in owning a black car is you have to wash it all the time.

As somebody said somewhere, probably a lot of somebodys... "Black isn't a color, it's a part-time job". :pc7424:

TL