PDA

View Full Version : 09 mb c300

frosty
11-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Feed back please
First of all, looking at the threads in here, there are some people with amazing skills so I'm not sure this is the right place to for somebody relatively new to post. I'm new to the forum so if this isn't the right place, mods please move my post to the appropriate board.

With that out of the way, I've just started getting serious about detailing and paint correction a couple of weeks ago. I found a deal too good to pass up on a MB C300.

Getting it home it has quite a few RIDS & swirl marks. I purchased a PC 7424 last week along with Menzerna Power Gloss, SIP, & the Nano finish. I bought the CCS pads, yellow, Orange & white.

In closing again, I want to make it clear I'm not posting this looking for praise because it doesn't even compare to what I see on the board. But again I didn't see a better place to post so I chose this board.

I started out with the SIP and an orange pad. Then I went to a yellow pad using the Power Gloss. I also bought some 1200 watt halogens to watch the work and with the PC I really never noticed a difference with what I used. What I mean is when I taped a section off, what I noticed is it would get the gray haze out and 70% of the swirls out no matter the combination but not much more after that even if I went over it multiple times.

The paint would shine after I was finished but I could still see scratches that should come out. THis week, I ordered a Flex Rotary as I feel confident I can get the hang of it. (I got some test panels from a body shop to start on.)

My question though this is something I'll drive daily and after going to the body shop and asking them about some spots and scratches I was seeing and they couldn't even see. One guy went back in and got his glasses to be sure.

I'm wondering if I'm just being too picky. (At the body shop to pick up some panels to practice on.)

I'm starting to think it's not reasonable to think you can keep every scratch out of a daily driver. Especially a black car, however I'm going to start doing some work for friends I know and trying to decide how far I should go.

Here are some pix of where I'm at with my car. I'm in the process of getting a better camera. The close up of the left front fender, you can see some swirls that are left. (Well at least you can in the orig picture. But on the website you can't hardly make them out.)

Everybody that looks at the car so far indicates it looks factory. But I still see a lot of things that are flaws. So again, is this a good enough job for a daily driver? I don't think you should compound every car every time it comes in, especially when it's a daily driver but I'm interested in your opinions.

teamerickson
11-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Hmmmm? Wondering if you should've used the SIP with the yellow first. Although, to me, that seems a little aggressive. I recently had a similar experience to yours. Got a black mercedes and became obsessed with getting rid of the scratches. I actuly had good results with meguiars 205 (finishing) and an orange pad. I'll try menzerna next go round.

Are you going nice and slow?

frosty
11-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Hmmmm? Wondering if you should've used the SIP with the yellow. Although, to me, that seems a little aggressive. I recently had a similar experience to yours. Got a black mercedes and became obsessed with getting rid of the scratches. I actuly had good results with meguiars 205 (finishing) and an orange pad. I'll try menzerna next go round.

Are you going nice and slow?

I'm definitely open to constructive criticism but I think I went nice and slow. I tried to go about 1" per second. I also tried to go about 3 minutes to 4 minutes on a section. When I was close to the end I slowed down to like 3 or 4 and went faster just trying to break down the polish like I read.

I should add I had a friend bring over a 2000 Acura Integra. We were low on time and I did his and didn't go as slow and spent probably half the time on the sections we did and got about the same end results.

Also to give a better idea I spent about 2 days in this process. Taking my time. Going over some sections more than once etc.

I think the reason it didn't come out is I need a stronger machine or to go over a lot more. But what I'm trying to decide for a daily driver is this a good outcome?

2011wahoo
11-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey frosty, You definitely should start off with the SIP on a white pad, if that does not provided the desired correction, move up to SIP on a orange pad, and if that still does not provide the desired correction, then you use PG, which is a very aggressive compound, on a orange or yellow and work your way back down in aggressiveness.

teamerickson
11-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounded like you went nice and slow. Did you finish with the nano?

From what I've read, the flex may be the best way to go. The Mercedes has rock hard paint. I may get one next year but wanted to take it slow with the PC.

frosty
11-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey frosty, You definitely should start off with the SIP on a white pad, if that does not provided the desired correction, move up to SIP on a orange pad, and if that still does not provide the desired correction, then you use PG, which is a very aggressive compound, on a orange or yellow and work your way back down in aggressiveness.

Thanks 2011,

I didn't start least agressive first. AG advised to start with the orange. To the car, from 5 foot or out of the sunlight the paint looks great. Even in the sun it looks good and shines, I can still just see swirls. Even in sections where I used PG with a yellow pad and followed it up with SIP and some places the Final.

The question though, on a daily driver, especially a black car, would this job be good enough. I like to try to give more than expected and would hate to do something and have somebody complain. Of course I would go back and do whatever unless I thought they were complaining to complain but I like to get things right the first time.

I'll also preface, I've never seen a car without some type of scratches or swirls when looking at them up close. I see some pix on the internet and they look that way but again usually if I'm at a car and start looking at all different angles I usually see something. I don't go to car shows etc but I'll stop by the high end car lots from time to time and my experience is just having cars detailed and looked at cars on a car lot or in showrooms.

Basically what I'm trying to get at I don't have a gauge on what is considered excellent. Also what's good enough for somebody just wanting a one stage polish on a daily driver to take car of glaring swirls.

I was thinking it should be like looking into clear water and there are no imperfections but I'm starting to think that's just not possible. Especially when you're dealing with cars that won't to get worked on in the 100 to 250 price range.

Thanks again for your responses.

loudog2
11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Power gloss w/a yellow pad is very aggressive. The marks your seeing might be getting induced by that combo. Use the SIP next with the white pad. Then the 106FA w/a grey pad. Yes, you need to get a finishing pad, espeacially with a black car.

frosty
11-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Sounded like you went nice and slow. Did you finish with the nano?

From what I've read, the flex may be the best way to go. The Mercedes has rock hard paint. I may get one next year but wanted to take it slow with the PC.

Yes I wish I would have gotten the 3401. Or possibly the latest Griot. I'm not knocking the PC as it seems like a solid machine but it was pretty visible how the rotation would slow when you put much pressure on it. I know that's good for just starting but I think or least I hope :) I've educated myself enough to be safe with a rotary. I'll know soon enough when I start in on these junk panels I have this weekend!!!!

loudog2
11-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I'll also preface, I've never seen a car without some type of scratches or swirls when looking at them up close. I see some pix on the internet and they look that way but again usually if I'm at a car and start looking at all different angles I usually see something. I don't go to car shows etc but I'll stop by the high end car lots from time to time and my experience is just having cars detailed and looked at cars on a car lot or in showrooms.
Not true. I'll let you look at mine and try to find one or maybe two(if your lucky).

frosty
11-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Power gloss w/a yellow pad is very aggressive. The marks your seeing might be getting induced by that combo. Use the SIP next with the white pad. Then the 106FA w/a grey pad. Yes, you need to get a finishing pad, espeacially with a black car.

FYI. I only tried the Power Gloss in a section or two and I didn't notice any difference so I did the rest of the car with the SIP & Orange. Then I went back with the Nano Finish with a white pad. (That was what AG had recommended to me.)

When my Flex 3403 gets here I was going to try the Nano Finish again with a white pad in a section and see how it goes. But I'll go back, I know the pix aren't the best but what are you're thoughts when you look at them. Are you seeing things that stand out? (I'll admit the pix at the resolution I posted look kind of hazy to start with.)

I may try to repost them if they aren't clear enough.

thanks.

frosty
11-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Not true. I'll let you look at mine and try to find one or maybe two(if your lucky).

Thank you, good to know. Like I said, I'm chasing something and I don't exactly know what to expect when I get to my destination. I wasn't stating it wasn't possible, just that I personally haven't seen it. Fibers off the micro fiber towels drive me crazy when I go back starting to look the work I've done. (At least on a black car.)

Starting to think I need to get a silver or white car. :)

teamerickson
11-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Thank you, good to know. Like I said, I'm chasing something and I don't exactly know what to expect when I get to my destination. I wasn't stating it wasn't possible, just that I personally haven't seen it. Fibers off the micro fiber towels drive me crazy when I go back starting to look the work I've done. (At least on a black car.)

Starting to think I need to get a silver or white car. :)My wife hates my black car. She's jelaous of all the attention I give it. :)

DARK HORSE
11-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Starting to think I need to get a silver or white car. :)

I found that a less plush MF works best on black. Most of the time I will use Waffle Weave MF's on my black car.

ICEMAN
11-20-2009, 07:27 AM
i love using SIP on and orange pad!!!! usually gets out EVERYTHING!!

For a lot of daily drivers, if they are extremely bad, ill just use SIP on an orange pad, then wax, it leaves a nice shine, but if the paint isnt that bad, ill use Menzerna Finish Polish (nano polish) on an orange pad. That is my favorite combo right now!!

but on nice cars, or for people who pay for it, its SIP with Orange Pad, then FP with White Pad

frosty
11-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone. I have my Flex 3403 coming today and I think I'm going to save myself some agony send my PC XP back and get the Flex 3401 as well. I think I've wasted more money in time agonizing, researching, watching videos than I would have if I'd just gotten it to start with!!!!.

I'm going to give the junk panels I have h e 2L this weekend before I jump back on the C300.

Plus I'm going to order a new camera and try to get better at taking pix. I'll share my experience when I get things dialed in.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded. Also, a big thanks to Barryk for his PM's.

Great forum!