PDA

View Full Version : best products for my black 350z

4.2turbo350z
11-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Hey what's up .......i recently purchased a 2005 black nissan 350z. the car was repo'd, and has almost $50,000 in aftermarket parts. i could go into way more detail but wont. My problem is that when the car was repo'd it was washed at a local car wash and now has small scratches all over the paint once its under light and in the sunlight. I just purchased the porter cable xp after reading about it. I got the menzerna 5.5 inch package sold on autgeeks.net planning 2 practice on a couple older cars that i own first. I am wondering if anybody had experience with black 350z's and what swirl remover, wax, sealant, gloss products you used and what pads. The car runs amazing and I really want the paint to look new again.

Rsurfer
11-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Hey what's up .......i recently purchased a 2005 black nissan 350z. the car was repo'd, and has almost $50,000 in aftermarket parts. i could go into way more detail but wont. My problem is that when the car was repo'd it was washed at a local car wash and now has small scratches all over the paint once its under light and in the sunlight. I just purchased the porter cable xp after reading about it. I got the menzerna 5.5 inch package sold on autgeeks.net planning 2 practice on a couple older cars that i own first. I am wondering if anybody had experience with black 350z's and what swirl remover, wax, sealant, gloss products you used and what pads. The car runs amazing and I really want the paint to look new again.
I would get Menzerna or Wolfgang polishes for swirl removel. Remember the least aggressive pad and polish first. Alway's to a test spot to see if you need a stronger combo. Wax or sealant is in the eye of the owner. Generally carnuba waxes will give you a deep wet look and sealant's will give you a lot of reflection. I call it a hard candy shine. I'm a nuba freak, but nothing wrong with a hard shine. There are so many combo's of polishes, paint cleaners, glazes, waxes, and sealants that you will have to read up and decide what products to use. AG has the most variety of any detailing supply store that it can get mind-boggling. Ask questions and you will get a lot of help from the members of this forum.:buffing:BTW congrats on your new Z

sullysdetailing
11-19-2009, 03:09 PM
The 350Z has the same paitn as a G35. When I corrected my partners car when we first started doing paint correction we used the Pinnacle Swil Remover Kit and it worked great. The second time we did it We used M105 and M205.

If you are new to DA's and Paint correction I would recommend Wolfgang or Pinnacle Products they are very easy to use.

For Paint Selant Four Start Ultimate Paint Protection or wolfgang 3.0 Paint Selant
For Wax Pinnacle Sourvan Paste

CEE DOG
11-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Wolfgang Polish (Disclaimer: I recommend this only from everything I've read) I won't use mine until next week

Ultima Paint Guard Plus Sealant. I love it! I am now curious about the 4* as well.

Showroom Shine
11-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I would get Menzerna or Wolfgang polishes for swirl removel. Remember the least aggressive pad and polish first. Alway's to a test spot to see if you need a stronger combo. Wax or sealant is in the eye of the owner. Generally carnuba waxes will give you a deep wet look and sealant's will give you a lot of reflection. I call it a hard candy shine. I'm a nuba freak, but nothing wrong with a hard shine. There are so many combo's of polishes, paint cleaners, glazes, waxes, and sealants that you will have to read up and decide what products to use. AG has the most variety of any detailing supply store that it can get mind-boggling. Ask questions and you will get a lot of help from the members of this forum.:buffing:BTW congrats on your new Z
:iagree:Nice ZZZZZ! I like the Souveran for Black! Actually I like it for all colors. Easy on easy off!

4.2turbo350z
11-22-2009, 02:24 AM
thanxx for the comments, i have decided to use the menzerna products my kit came with. i am also buying wolfgang sealant and am still looking for a wax possibly pinnacle souveran, seems to be in my price range.

skizot
11-22-2009, 07:28 AM
I have a midnight blue metallic pearl colored paint. So with it having both blue and purple hues to the color, I go with a combination of WG DPS 3.0 and then layered Dodo Blue Velvet and Purple Haze. One of the best triple combinations I have ever used. It does take two days to do the process, but worth every minute spent.

I am assuming this would work equally well on black paint, however I would probably say a two step process of WG DPS 3.0 + Sourvan would be best. It really makes black jump out.

JohnHenry
11-22-2009, 09:18 AM
thanxx for the comments, i have decided to use the menzerna products my kit came with. i am also buying wolfgang sealant and am still looking for a wax possibly pinnacle souveran, seems to be in my price range.

I can't disagree with any of the recommendations that you've received here. However, in my opinion, the best answer is your own (above.) You've already purchased the highest quality polishes and pads available. There will be plenty of time to experiment with other lines when the "addiction" takes full effect.

You hit the nail on the head. A sealant and/or wax combined with the Menz 5.5 kit will set you up for months. I would recommend picking up some professional quality (no wax added) car wash, a sheepskin wash mitt, a couple of buckets and one or two very good MF drying towels.

edit: Be sure to clay that thing!

I have done a black G35 for over a year with excellent results using the same stuff you received in the kit.

- Menzerna PO83 SIP, start with the white pad, go to the orange if necessary;
- Menzerna PO106FA Nano, white pad (be sure to clean pads thoroughly between steps);
- Sealant, lots of excellent choices available. you can apply by hand or with the red pad;
- Wax, again, personal preference. apply and remove by hand. get a good applicator pad and use one of the MFs in your Menz kit to remove.

You probably already know that you may use the sealant alone, the wax alone, or the wax over the sealant.

Don't be afraid to polish by hand. AG sells hand polishing pads in the same color sequence as the machine pads. They work! The Z's front fascia and bumper will be challenging. Pull up a bucket or folding chair, load up your iced tea and devote a couple of hours of hand polishing to the front bumper, valance, leading edge of the hood and the painted parts of the mirrors. It will be worth it to get to a good level of correction at the start. Then you can maintain this area fairly easily.

Congrats on the great car! Have fun.

Jay

ScottB
11-22-2009, 09:22 AM
the pad and kit will work fine, Nissan paint is relatively soft and easy to correct. Top with Four Star UPP (Sealant) and Pinnacle Souveran Paste as possible.

christian900se
11-22-2009, 09:30 PM
When you say aftermarket, does this mean body work as well? If so, you could have to deal with sections of paint that is not the same as the original.

4.2turbo350z
11-23-2009, 06:53 PM
I have optimum no rinse wash & shine, not sure if that has wax in it? i also got an extra grey and red lake country pads, which one is better to use with a sealant?

When you say aftermarket, does this mean body work as well?
I mean that there is a carbon fiber hood, roof, mirrors, pillars, trunk, and spoiler! all of that carbon fiber should cut down on some of the work, even though i don't mind spending some quality time with my z.

JohnHenry
11-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I would go with the red at 3.5 on the PC for a sealant. To your car wash question... ONR is great stuff.

To be honest, I'm a little confused by the recent references to "grey" pads. Are these black pads, or something new? Red is slightly softer than black... don't know about grey. Maybe someone can clear this up.

ziggo99
11-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Grey=black. For some reason, different sites call them grey when talking about the black pads.

autodromo
11-23-2009, 08:32 PM
on my black car i like Souveran paste. i also like dodo blue velvet, or purple haze.( have not used the PH pro or supernat)i also like to use a glaze and right now for me its all about poorboys dark hole show glaze. o and btw nice car you scored, there is a lot of work done to her. enjoy!!!