PDA

View Full Version : Removing Water Spots - Very Old Car

Pages : [1] 2

rmmagow
11-18-2009, 07:50 PM
1958 Mercedes Maroon paint original and getting thin. It got badly water spotted (should I upload photos for better advice?) and I'm not sure how to proceed. I read a little about using a vinegar spray to see if it would help. I've tried a couple of real fine polishs by hand to little effect although it seemed to help a little. Trying to avoid a re-paint on an otherwise original car. Water spotting occured from the car being left out in the rain and dried by the sun, an accident since I keep it garaged otherwise. I'm thinking I need a real pro to try to fix this but have been unable to find anyone I really trust. Advice sought and appreciated.

VR8
11-18-2009, 08:13 PM
No question, photos will render you more accurate information to proceed with. '58 Mercedes sounds like a single stage paint job so you may be able to compound the spots out.

Let's see some pics.

Superdutytd
11-19-2009, 01:14 AM
I would take it someone with a PTG that can read how thick the paint is. Especially with original paint on a car like that.

Rsurfer
11-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Search water spot remover, there are a lot of products that AG carries. If none of these products work, pm me and I'll direct you to a line that will work. I say this because I have not used any water spot removers that AG has, but a friend gave me a bottle to use on a badly spotted car and it took it right off.

ScottB
11-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Is the Duragloss offering ok ??? I too see several outside companies offering an acid based water spot remover and reviews suggest they work well ... but havent gotten a chance to pick one up.

rmmagow
11-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I've got pictures here
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/rmagowan/2nd Set MB PICS/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click
Password is mb220s
What company is AG
Thanks for the info folks.

christian900se
11-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Beautiful car first of all. I would say to try with the least aggressive approach first which would be a quick detailer. Most have slight cleaning power and could potentially remove those water spots if they haven't etched the paint. After that, I would try an abrasive free paint cleanser.

acc1079
11-19-2009, 01:52 PM
I've got pictures here
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/rmagowan/2nd Set MB PICS/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click
Password is mb220s
What company is AG
Thanks for the info folks.

The link doesnt seem to work for me.... hmmm

The acronym AG stands for Autogeek, who's forums you are on. They also have a store, which has NUMEROUS, NUMEROUS good products. Here is a water spot remover I found that they carry.

Duragloss Water Spot Remover (WSR) #505 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-water-spot-remover.html)

The first thing you need to do, is figure out which kind of water spots they are. At the bottom of this post http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/11195-back-basics-detailing-diagrams-dialog.html#post158814 There are a couple pics of the different kinds of water spots. The first, is above surface, and can normally be removed with a chemical cleaner, that doesn't remove any paint. The 2nd kind, has etched its way below the surface of the paint, and can only be removed by using compounds or polishes to level the surface down to the water etches.

I agree with Superduty on this one. Given the car, age, and original paint.... I would find a detailer with a PTG (paint thickness gauge) and let them see how much paint there is left. That will give you a good idea on what actions can safely be taken to remove the spots.

sullysdetailing
11-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Link did not work.
Have you tried washing and then claying the car with a medium to aggressive clay?

Also I would try LC white pad and polish first and see if that works. if not then try LC orange pad and compound. If that doesnt work you will have to bump it up to a wool pad.

Rsurfer
11-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Link did not work.
Have you tried washing and then claying the car with a medium to aggressive clay?

Also I would try LC white pad and polish first and see if that works. if not then try LC orange pad and compound. If that doesnt work you will have to bump it up to a wool pad.
I notice your an AG consultant. Are advertising logo's and phone numbers and web site now allowed on AG? If so, I would like to start posting my business on my Sig.

sullysdetailing
11-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I notice your an AG consultant. Are advertising logo's and phone numbers and web site now allowed on AG? If so, I would like to start posting my business on my Sig.
I am a product tester.

ScottB
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
RSurfer ... not sure of the rules regarding business sigs, please give us a moment to have Meghan chime in.

Does appear there are no issues with using your business logo and number in sig. We do review all for forum safety and to curb anything "unbecoming" of a forum member. So Sig on !

Jason
11-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Signatures that include your detaling business, logo and telephone number are fine. Websites urls are also ok as long as the website does not have links to a competitor or a affiliate program.

Rsurfer
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
The reason I ask is because I remember when photo's of a detailing job was posted and showed vans and trucks with names and numbers, they were asked to remove that photo that showed the detailer's name and phone number. I guess AG's policy has changed.

Mike Phillips
11-19-2009, 06:12 PM
1958 Mercedes Maroon paint original and getting thin. It got badly water spotted (should I upload photos for better advice?) and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Water spotting occured from the car being left out in the rain and dried by the sun, an accident since I keep it garaged otherwise.

I've worked on a lot of antique single stage paint and if the number one priority is to save the paint then you definitely want to proceed with caution, don't let any self-proclaimed expert take a coarse rubbing compound to it for sure.

Sounds like what you have is a Type III water spot and that's a stain? Is the paint where the spots are lighter in color than surrounding paint?

I wrote an article on how to work with pictures on forums, for what it's worth it will help you on this forum or any forum but if you want to make it easy on yourself then if you can send them to me in an e-mail

mike.phillips@autogeek.net

Here's the thread that has all the articles listed,

How-to work with pictures on discussion forums (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles-discussion-forums/21320-how-work-pictures-discussion-forums.html)

But here's the specific one that should help you get your photobucket photos to show up...

How to insert an image from your photo gallery into your message (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles-discussion-forums/21313-how-insert-image-your-photo-gallery-into-your-message.html)

:)