PDA

View Full Version : Griot's polisher question

Pages : [1] 2

kaboom10
11-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I got this a while ago and want to use a 3 inch backing pad on it to polish some well worn windows. Am I asking for trouble with the counterweight being for the 6 inch pad it came with. Is there a counter weight for use with a 3 inch pad? I don't want to hurt the polisher as it's the best one I've ever owned. I do have a cheap rotary I can use if it comes to that. It's heavy and cumbersome.

bobby
11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Just use the counter weight you have on there now. You'll be fine.

longdx
11-17-2009, 04:47 PM
It may vibrate a little more with the 3 inch pad, but it will be fine. The conterweights are there to smooth out vibrations, thats it

Meghan
11-17-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree, you will not notice much difference.

kaboom10
11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Alright then it's a go when the parts arrive.

Rsurfer
11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
I got this a while ago and want to use a 3 inch backing pad on it to polish some well worn windows. Am I asking for trouble with the counterweight being for the 6 inch pad it came with. Is there a counter weight for use with a 3 inch pad? I don't want to hurt the polisher as it's the best one I've ever owned. I do have a cheap rotary I can use if it comes to that. It's heavy and cumbersome.You will find that the 4" bp and 4" pads will work much better than the 3". The 3" bp is probably only 2.5" thus leaving a lot of overhang on the pad. Less contact with the surface. I think the Griot is the best da on the market besides the Flex which isn't a true da cause of the force rotation, it's a hybred DA. The Griot even comes with extra brushes and who can beat a lifetime warranty?

VISITOR
11-18-2009, 12:05 AM
You will find that the 4" bp and 4" pads will work much better than the 3". The 3" bp is probably only 2.5" thus leaving a lot of overhang on the pad. Less contact with the surface. I think the Griot is the best da on the market besides the Flex which isn't a true da cause of the force rotation, it's a hybred DA. The Griot even comes with extra brushes and who can beat a lifetime warranty?

i'm very close to pulling the trigger on the new improved 3" random orbital (christmas present to myself), and lifetime warranty sure puts the mind at rest...

Rsurfer
11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
i'm very close to pulling the trigger on the new improved 3" random orbital (christmas present to myself), and lifetime warranty sure puts the mind at rest...Dunno Al, one post said it wasn't worth crap and few others really liked it. I have the da full size and love it. I use 4" pads for bumpers and pillars. For getting under mirrors just do it by hand. Won't work under door handles so the work it can do is rather limited. But, if your a tool lover go for it.

VISITOR
11-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Dunno Al, one post said it wasn't worth crap and few others really liked it. I have the da full size and love it. I use 4" pads for bumpers and pillars. For getting under mirrors just do it by hand. Won't work under door handles so the work it can do is rather limited. But, if your a tool lover go for it.

while i use the PC with 4" pads too, this would be nice to maneuver since it's smaller/lighter and be able to use it with one hand. my main concern is if it bogs down very easily. i was going to get the metabo version (i believe they both have the same specs), but the lifetime warranty and new ergonmics of this is a nice touch. who knows, maybe santa will bring it to me this year...

edit: it looks like the metabo is 5,000-10,000 orbits per minute, while the griots is 3,500-10,000 orbits per minute. hmmm...

Rsurfer
11-18-2009, 02:06 AM
while i use the PC with 4" pads too, this would be nice to maneuver since it's smaller/lighter and be able to use it with one hand. my main concern is if it bogs down very easily. i was going to get the metabo version (i believe they both have the same specs), but the lifetime warranty and new ergonmics of this is a nice touch. who knows, maybe santa will bring it to me this year...

edit: it looks like the metabo is 5,000-10,000 orbits per minute, while the griots is 3,500-10,000 orbits per minute. hmmm...
What does the lower orbits mean? Is it with load, if so how much pressure? There's a 100% disparity there.

kaboom10
11-18-2009, 02:42 AM
You will find that the 4" bp and 4" pads will work much better than the 3". The 3" bp is probably only 2.5" thus leaving a lot of overhang on the pad. Less contact with the surface. I think the Griot is the best da on the market besides the Flex which isn't a true da cause of the force rotation, it's a hybred DA. The Griot even comes with extra brushes and who can beat a lifetime warranty?

Great. I'll be waiting fo rthe thursday delivery. I think the warrantywill out last me.

Mike Phillips
11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Dunno Al, one post said it wasn't worth darn and few others really liked it.

The one post you refer to, do you know if that was the old 3" Mini Polisher or the brand new version that just started shipping?

I tested the old one and while it could be made to work, that is if you used it just right you could get it to rotate a 3" pad but it was a challenge.

I've been told the new version has been improved. I was also told one of the new models came into the office already, so I'll see if I can take it for a test drive.

Personally, I like the idea of a 3" Mini Polisher, as long as it has the power to rotate a pad to remove swirls.

:props:

VISITOR
11-18-2009, 02:34 PM
What does the lower orbits mean? Is it with load, if so how much pressure? There's a 100% disparity there.

i belive both the metabo and griots have a speed dial 1-6, but there isn't any specs on what speed for each number...

Rsurfer
11-18-2009, 03:02 PM
The one post you refer to, do you know if that was the old 3" Mini Polisher or the brand new version that just started shipping?

I tested the old one and while it could be made to work, that is if you used it just right you could get it to rotate a 3" pad but it was a challenge.

I've been told the new version has been improved. I was also told one of the new models came into the office already, so I'll see if I can take it for a test drive.

Personally, I like the idea of a 3" Mini Polisher, as long as it has the power to rotate a pad to remove swirls.

:props:Yes Mike please take it for a test drive. If you say it's ok I'll order one. Even if you work for AG I know your statements are truthful and unbiased.Feed back please

Mike Phillips
11-18-2009, 03:15 PM
i believe both the metabo and Griot's have a speed dial 1-6, but there isn't any specs on what speed for each number...

Specs shmecks...

I just left the garage after playing with the new Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher side-by-side with the Generation I Griot's Garage 3" Polisher and the new one definitely has more power.

I'm working on a BTS project so can't type anything up right now but to be honest, next week is when I'll have some free time to post some pictures and maybe a short video clip as I'll be out of the office for the next few days...

Back to work...

:)