PDA

View Full Version : When to repair paint chips???

xxxc5
11-17-2009, 03:52 AM
I'll be starting the entire paint correction and sealant application on my Vette shortly. I have some rock chips on my front end that I need to touch up with the Dr. Colorchip system I just received. When in the course of swirl removing, polishing and sealing should I do this? After polishing before sealing? Or should I seal the whole car and go back and wipe down the chipped areas with alcohol, do the repair, wait for it to cure and then seal those areas? Thanks all!!

Mike Phillips
11-17-2009, 07:36 AM
A case can be made for doing the chip repair either way, before the correction work and/or after the correction work, but I would lean towards doing the touch-up work after the major paint polishing work is done because all to often if you buff over fresh touch-up paint you'll simply pull the touch-up paint out of the rock chipped areas.

I've see the Dr. Color Chip system in action and it was done after the paint was polished, the results were impressive appearance-wise. It would have been interesting to see if the results would hold up to machine cleaning and polishing.

One thing for sure, it's very frustrating to do touch-up paint repair work and then watch the touch-up paint be removed if you buff over it.

You could try doing the touch-up work before buffing and then try not to buff over the touch-up paint but that' usually not practical.

You could also do the touch-up work first and then cross your fingers the paint doesn't pull out or buff off and if it does, note that for the future and then re-do it after the cleaning and polishing work.

Be sure to let us know which approach you use and the results.

:xyxthumbs:

xxxc5
11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
A case can be made for doing the chip repair either way, before the correction work and/or after the correction work, but I would lean towards doing the touch-up work after the major paint polishing work is done because all to often if you buff over fresh touch-up paint you'll simply pull the touch-up paint out of the rock chipped areas.

I've see the Dr. Color Chip system in action and it was done after the paint was polished, the results were impressive appearance-wise. It would have been interesting to see if the results would hold up to machine cleaning and polishing.

One thing for sure, it's very frustrating to do touch-up paint repair work and then watch the touch-up paint be removed if you buff over it.

You could try doing the touch-up work before buffing and then try not to buff over the touch-up paint but that' usually not practical.

You could also do the touch-up work first and then cross your fingers the paint doesn't pull out or buff off and if it does, note that for the future and then re-do it after the cleaning and polishing work.

Be sure to let us know which approach you use and the results.

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks Mike, will do!!