PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Mustang GT Noob Help (buffer, pads,etc)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Grabber07'
11-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I posted an introduction and Im glad i found this place. Looks like a very knowledgable bunch.

Ive been using a Craftsman Orbital buffer for the past 2 years applying polishes and wax...claybaring on occasion.

I am in the Market for a Buffer (leaning towards the Griot per the reviews). Need everything to go along with it as well (Pads, Compounds, Polishes, Wax, clay bar, etc)

Problem I have. Car looks great from a few feet away, but closer inspection shows light scratches all over the car. Im not sure if I had a dirty claybar? Dirty MF rag? dirty shammy? But its driving me insane. :)

I need a solution. I am by no means a professional and am looking for advice. I want to get rid of these fine scratches. I cant feel them with my finger, but no polishes or waxes have been able to correct the issue. Thus why I am looking for a more powerful ROB, bads, chemicals etc.

For now I have been using a local detail shop to supply myself with my chemicals

Detail Supply Warehouse (http://www.detailsupplywhse.com/)

The polishes and waxes seem to do a great job on the paint, but dont have the experience to remove the scratches...they are all over the car. They dont seem to be a swirling patter either....mostly NSEW...which makes me think claybar.

Help me pick out a buffer Kit and chemicals that will help me remove the scratches....but also want advice on week to week cleaning. This car is a daily driver BUT I show it on the weekends and want it looking fantastic.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

pics of the car for your enjoyment:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2488/3960954205_ff44d66820.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2617/3961653532_d2107c80ba.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3961656486_0564d4c2ee.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2548/3961729156_2e8c5e3b45.jpg

Grabber07'
11-16-2009, 05:18 PM
You guys are welcome to treat me as though Im a 5yr old and instruct me. Im not affraid to swollow my pride and say.....I need some step by step instructions :)

Never have used Pads before...just used bonnets to apply polishes and waxes with the Craftsman orbital.

Ive been watching videos on youtube....and reading articles...as well as searching this site to soak up as much information as possible on the "proper technique". I understand that a ROB is pretty safe on the paint and you really cant go wrong if you have the right buffer. BUT the pad and product are very important.

This is where i need some direction as well. Which pads for which scenarios? How frequent can I use these products? Which products to use? How should I apply them? etc etc

Sorry for all the Noob Questions. Im just pretty excited about getting serious with my daily driver. I like to show it and am very proud of it. So I want to make sure Im keeping her paint looking great.

HighEndDetail
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
I would go with the Griot's da. And the WG twins are a great polish combo
A few org/white pads. Maybe a gray to finish and you be set

Grabber07'
11-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Ok had to look up what WG was... DOH!

Wolfgang Car Care Products

When you say Twins? What are you refering to? Sorry for the trivial question.

DARK HORSE
11-16-2009, 06:24 PM
WG TSR/FG Follow the link...(May even consider following up the WG FG with Menzerna 85rd for even a better finish). Typically twins refers to a more abrasive polish followed by a finishing polish (of the same brand).

Wolfgang 16 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, Wolfgang polishes (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-remover-combo.html)

Grabber07'
11-16-2009, 06:34 PM
WG TSR/FG Follow the link...(May even consider following up the WG FG with Menzerna 85rd for even a better finish). Typically twins refers to a more abrasive polish followed by a finishing polish (of the same brand).

Wolfgang 16 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, Wolfgang polishes (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-remover-combo.html)

Thanks for the advice :dblthumb2: And thats a nice 09' you have there. I have heard good things about the Menzerna product name. Just havent desyphered what each product does for the paint and what products to use in combination, with what pad ect

ronkh57
11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
one word on a polisher.

Flex

Grabber07'
11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
one word on a polisher.

Flex

Would love to purchase the flex as I have heard amazing things about it, but $300 for a polisher just doesnt compute with me.

My mentality was spring for the Griot, pads, chemicals, etc for now and purchase a High Speed Dewalt or Mikita down the road. That way I have the best of both worlds and come out cheaper in some cases than the Flex.

Could use the Griot for now to get out the light scratches and weekly maintanence....if for any reason I needed some major correction the Dewalt or Mikita could handle it and then polish it out with my ROB.

Does that make sense?

BarryK
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
First off keep in mind that you are probably going to get a LOT of various opinions on buffers polishes, and LSP (Last Step Products meaning waxes and/or Sealants).
Everyone has their favorites and that's what they are going to recommend.
Bottom line really comes down to the fact that if you pick quality products and than take the time and effort to practuce using them and get to know how they work best you will get excellent results. Product brands are secondary to proper prepping of the paint and knowing how to work and use the products you choose.

Having said that... I'll mention the products that *I* like. I like them, because I've used them enough to learn how to get the most out of them so they work well and I can achieve excellent results. At the same time, someone else with other products can achieve the same results assuming they know how to work with those other products just as well.

For buffers I use and like the Flex 3401 DA buffer. It's probably the best DA on the market although also the most expensive. Second behind the Flex is probably the Griots.

For Pads there are lots of choices. I use the Lake Country 6.5" CCS pads. Others prefer flat pads over the CCS type. Both can give you excellent results. My opinion is that mainly it comes down to personal preference and nothing more.
The Fles DA being a very powerful buffer can use the 6.5" pads well. The Griots is also pretty powerdul but not quite as much as the Flex so you might want to consider using 5.5" pads instead. The smaller pads will give you a little more aggressiveness compared to the larger pads and will make the Griots a bit more effiecient althjough the smaller pads mean it can take a little extra time to finish buffing the car (smaller pads mean a smaller area being worked on so it takes longer but the smaller area "concentrates" the buffers energy and power which is why the smaller pads make it a bit more efficient)

As for polishes and LSP's you have TONS of high quality choices between Menzerna, Wolfgang, XMT, Meguiar's, etc, etc, etc. the list is almost endless.
I tend to prefer and use the Mequairs Professional and Detailer lines of products. For compounds/polishes I think it's real tough to beat the M105/M205 combination.
For A really nice wax I use the Megs #26. If you like a Paint Sealant instead I use the M21 a lot.
On my show car I actually use the M21 sealant than top it with the #26 wax.

Now others will reply here to your question and say how they love the Menzerna polishes or they prefer the Wolfgang LSP's or they prefer the Edge brand of pads, etc and that's fine too.

My recommendation is to choose SOMETHING and simply learn to use it to get the best results and as long as you chose quality products and you learn how to user them properly you will make you car look great and you will be happy.

As Mike Phillips is find of saying... "Pick something you like and use it often"

mchess1
11-16-2009, 07:57 PM

I am going to second High End Detail. This is a good setup to use for a beginner based upon your needs.

I have the Flex, but based on your monetary considerations the Griots will work great for you.

2-3 Orange, 2-3 White and a finishing pad should do you well if you want to go with the CCS pads. The new Hydro Tech work well also and you would go 2-3 Tangerine, 2-3 Cyan and a finishing pad.

You will get as many polish recommendations here as people who post. The Megs 105/205 combo are great. I don't usually recommend them to Noobs (others will and I am not disparaging them at all) because they break down to dust. Once you get rid of the lubrication it becomes a little more likely to introduce swirls yourself.

I really like the WG twins since I tried them at AutoGeek Detailing class. They give you just about unlimited polishing time so less to worry about for a newbie. Will the 105/205 combo work better for intermediate and experienced folks ... maybe yes. But the WG twins really are fool proof.

Get something to clean the pads and you are ready to go. I think everyone is going to assume that you have enough MF, use the 2 bucket method, etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Post some pictures and let us know how it goes. Would love to see some DoDo Juice Orange Crush on that car of yours!

Grabber07'
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Barry,

Great post! I wish I could justify the Flex right. The griots will have to do I guess. Is there that much difference between the Flex and Griots? If I spend a little more time with the Griots with a 5.5'' pad...will that compare?

I appreciate your honesty Barry and I hope to find a product and combinations that work well for me.

I am open to other suggestions and combinations....will have to do some thinking

Grabber07'
11-16-2009, 08:09 PM
I am going to second High End Detail. This is a good setup to use for a beginner based upon your needs.

I have the Flex, but based on your monetary considerations the Griots will work great for you.

2-3 Orange, 2-3 White and a finishing pad should do you well if you want to go with the CCS pads. The new Hydro Tech work well also and you would go 2-3 Tangerine, 2-3 Cyan and a finishing pad.

You will get as many polish recommendations here as people who post. The Megs 105/205 combo are great. I don't usually recommend them to Noobs (others will and I am not disparaging them at all) because they break down to dust. Once you get rid of the lubrication it becomes a little more likely to introduce swirls yourself.

I really like the WG twins since I tried them at AutoGeek Detailing class. They give you just about unlimited polishing time so less to worry about for a newbie. Will the 105/205 combo work better for intermediate and experienced folks ... maybe yes. But the WG twins really are fool proof.

Get something to clean the pads and you are ready to go. I think everyone is going to assume that you have enough MF, use the 2 bucket method, etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Post some pictures and let us know how it goes. Would love to see some DoDo Juice Orange Crush on that car of yours!

I am far from a noob when it comes to following instructions hehe does that count? I have a lot of car products in my garage and have been a religious detailer of my own rides for along time. I am patient and I will take my time to get it right....so Im not too affraid to go straight to the better stuff. If I were told how to use it, I would follow it to a "T". I hope that college degree did something for me hehe

As for MF...I do have a lot of MF towels. I purchased them from an Autoparts store here locally. Not sure what blend they are....there are no tags on them and I didnt pay attention when I ripped open the bag.

QUESTION about MF. I have read of different teqniques when washing. I might need to throw mine away. I did wash them all together (nothing else in the washer). I put it on Cold/Cold and threw on detergent (No Fabric softener) on top of the towels before they were soaked. I then dried them in the dryer on high heat. After reading this was a no no I think. Should I toss them? or rewash? if so what do you recommend to wash with and what process?

Grabber07'
11-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Also is there a Griot Kit that you would recommend? Something that would encompass all that I would need? Or should I build my own?

Also on the MF...what is the 2 bucket system?

BarryK
11-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Barry,

Great post! I wish I could justify the Flex right. The griots will have to do I guess. Is there that much difference between the Flex and Griots? If I spend a little more time with the Griots with a 5.5'' pad...will that compare?

I appreciate your honesty Barry and I hope to find a product and combinations that work well for me.

I am open to other suggestions and combinations....will have to do some thinking

if you don't want to spend the money for the Flex than the Griots would be your next best choice. The single biggest difference is simply that the flex has a bit more power but as I explained earlier that would be the main reason to go with the smaller 5.5" pads with the Griots.
It may take you an extra hour or maybe two to do the buffing on your car with the Griots and 5.5" pads vs the Flex with the 6.5" pads but as a weekend detailer or enthusiasts detailer who cares.
For me, time is money when doing customers cars but for you an extra hour or two shouldn't make a difference on your own car and yes, with the Griots, proper pads and quality products, and a bit of practice, and you will get excellent results - easily results that will compare to someone using a Flex.

BTW, nice looking car - even if it IS a Mustang. :poke:
sorry, I'm a vette guy so I had to slip that jab in. :laughing:

unclestu
11-17-2009, 12:34 PM
if you don't want to spend the money for the Flex than the Griots would be your next best choice. The single biggest difference is simply that the flex has a bit more power but as I explained earlier that would be the main reason to go with the smaller 5.5" pads with the Griots.
It may take you an extra hour or maybe two to do the buffing on your car with the Griots and 5.5" pads vs the Flex with the 6.5" pads but as a weekend detailer or enthusiasts detailer who cares.
For me, time is money when doing customers cars but for you an extra hour or two shouldn't make a difference on your own car and yes, with the Griots, proper pads and quality products, and a bit of practice, and you will get excellent results - easily results that will compare to someone using a Flex.

BTW, nice looking car - even if it IS a Mustang. :poke:
sorry, I'm a vette guy so I had to slip that jab in. :laughing:

:iagree:

Polishing I have found to be a lot like magic. In that the magic lies not within the magicians wand but within the hands of the magician performing the trick. With proper preparation and attention to detail you will be just fine. True the Flex will get the job done quicker but yours is not a job born out of economic necessity. Your job is in fact a labor of love.
I just love the color of your pony and can't wait till you post some more pics.
GOOD LUCK and have fun!!!:buffing: