PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: Do you wash your car with Dawn soap before claying?

spike
11-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi, I went to a small how-to clinic about how to apply zaino products, and they said that they like to wash the car with Dawn dish soap before claying, so that the clay bar won't pick up so much crud. I always thought that you should never wash a car with dish soap. Does anyone still use this practice? And he said they use soapy water as the lube for claying, and not spray lube. Any ideas on which way is better? I have never clayed a car before, so I want to do it right the first time!! :confused:

loudog2
11-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Dawn is for dishes. Except power disolve can be used for pad cleaning.

CEE DOG
11-15-2009, 09:24 PM
You will get some that do and some that don't with that dawn. Normally you should definetly NOT use Dawn but when doing the full clay/polish/seal detail some people like the Dawn. Once your car is where you want it and protected you certainly don't want anything but a gentle car soap. I must say I have NEVER used Dawn on my new car. I probably will use it to clean my seriously neglected ooold cars that I am going to get into shape here shortly.

I would use the ONR as clay lube (dilluted as directed for clay lube). Still very cheap but better than soapy water

Just keep spraying that lube and don't let it get dry
Fold the clay often
Remove and particles that are of any consequence.
Throw away the clay if you drop it
Don't press hard (let the clay do the work)

spike
11-15-2009, 09:26 PM
I would use the ONR as clay lube (dilluted as directed for clay lube). Still very cheap but better than soapy water

Great advice. But what is ONR?

loudog2
11-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Optimum No Rinse

spike
11-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Optimum No Rinse

Is Megs QD a good lube for claying? I see ONR is highly recommended, but what I have in the garage right now is Megs QD.

ziggo99
11-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Yes. In fact, Megs QD is what you get when you buy the Meg's clay kit.

John M.
11-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I personally dont like dawn soap at all on my paint, it was formulated for dishes and to really dissolve dirt/grime, whatever is in its path, not something I want on my paint.

I wouldnt use soapy water, I really like meguairs last touch detailer as clay lube. Works very well imo

sullysdetailing
11-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Dawn is for dishes. Except power disolve can be used for pad cleaning.
X2

spike
11-16-2009, 06:50 AM
X2

Hi Sullys detailing, just wondering...I looked at your web site (which is awesome, by the way), and I saw some great before and after pics. And the captions said that the cars were washed with dawn soap prior to detailing. Just wondering, have you changed your practice on this lately, or is dawn soap in the hands of a newbie just a disaster waiting to happen? Sorry, but I'm confused! LOL

Matt
11-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Megs QD is good for claying, but I recently used the Pinnacle Clay Lube (http://www.autogeek.net/pinclaylub.html) and WOW! I loved it!!! I couldn't believe how much nicer it was to use compared to the Megs QD.

Wendell Jarvis
11-16-2009, 07:26 AM
X2

You need to update your Web Site......You have Listed Dawn as part of your Detailing Process ?????...