PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate compound on headlights?

loco
11-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Hey folks,

My mother has a 2000 Accord with some really cloudy headlights. I just ordered some Meg's Ultimate Compound and was wondering if it can be used on plastic headlights to restore them. I have a PC. Also, would an LC white pad be appropriate or a orange pad?

Thanks!

kronos
11-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I used Megs105 on the headlights of my car and it worked out great. But like many others here say, prep is 90%. I sanded my headlights with 600,800,1000,1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper first. After I compounded, the lights looked like new. So I sealed them with WG DGPS 3.0. It's been over 6 months and the lights still look new.

Can you post some pics of the headlights?

loco
11-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I used Megs105 on the headlights of my car and it worked out great. But like many others here say, prep is 90%. I sanded my headlights with 600,800,1000,1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper first. After I compounded, the lights looked like new. So I sealed them with WG DGPS 3.0. It's been over 6 months and the lights still look new.

Can you post some pics of the headlights?

Thanks kronos. I just tried to get a couple pics. They don't show it all that well. It's not as bad as I remembered, but there is some cloudiness, especially at the tops of the headlights. I'm not sure it's so bad it needs sanding, but I don't know much about restoring headlights.

When I feel the plastic, it feels pretty smooth, just a little bit of roughness in those cloudy areas.

TLMitchell
11-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Hey folks,

My mother has a 2000 Accord with some really cloudy headlights. I just ordered some Meg's Ultimate Compound and was wondering if it can be used on plastic headlights to restore them. I have a PC. Also, would an LC white pad be appropriate or a orange pad?

UC finishes out pretty nice and those headlights don't look too bad. Try the white first and if you don't get the results you want bump it up to orange. I also used 105 on headlights with good results, I'm bettin' UC works about as well.

TL

Surfer
11-14-2009, 06:08 PM
The above tips on sanding are good, the special polishes for lights are only good for light hazing etc. Correct sanding then polishing can turn bad lights into damn near brand new. Yours don't look bad, may be able to polish it fine.

loco
11-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks very much! I'll give it a try!

ziggo99
11-15-2009, 04:06 PM
You may want to try the headlight restoration kit from Meguiar's if you can get one locally. I've seen some good things happen with the people that use it. It comes with a wool ball that you attach to a drill, a bottle of PlastX and a microfiber. Swapping out the PlastX with UC could provide some very impressive results.

loco
11-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the tip, ziggo. I'll try the UC first since I've already bought it and see how it goes. But if that doesn't work, sounds like the Meguiar's kit would be worth a try.

ICEMAN
11-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Meguiars Headlight Resto Kit does very well on headlights with barely any crap on em. like the ones you posted. The 3M kit is perfect for very bad headlights. check out my latest post with the 3M kit.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/21785-2-headlight-restos-nice-sunday-afternoon.html

loco
11-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Wow, nice job, Iceman! I hope I can do that well.

The Apprentice
11-16-2009, 02:41 AM
You may want to try the headlight restoration kit from Meguiar's if you can get one locally. I've seen some good things happen with the people that use it. It comes with a wool ball that you attach to a drill, a bottle of PlastX and a microfiber. Swapping out the PlastX with UC could provide some very impressive results.

Why would you suggest people to buy a headlight kit and substitute the core product of the kit with another?

The Meguiar's headlight restoration kit is inferior to many of the other kits such as Wolfgang and Diamondite.

The Meguiar's headlight restoration kit contains a wool pad that puts more scratches to the headlights than it removes. I have used PlastX on a variety of clear plastics. Let's just say that the product is a failure.