PDA

View Full Version : ONR as Quick Detailer: What went wrong?

Turd Ferguson
11-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Last week I prepped my BMW 335xi for the winter: washed, clayed, cleaned and sealed. Light rain last night. Took out my spray bottle of ONR to wipe down the hood/trunk. ONR is diluted to Quick Detailer proportion (6 oz per gallon or 1.5 ozs per quart). I sprayed it on, wiped with a microfiber towel and now I have micro-scratches on the hood. Did I do this wrong? MF was clean (no grit - freshly laundered). I sprayed, wiped and then buffed with dry side of MF.

What gives? Any suggestions?

loudog2
11-14-2009, 12:55 PM
There might have been some fallout from the rain. Did you wash it within that last week? Or did you just use a QD after a week of using the car?

Turd Ferguson
11-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Washed last Sunday. Spent most of the week in garage -out a few times. The rain was light - more drops than steady rain. A little dust on the car.

Rsurfer
11-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Washed last Sunday. Spent most of the week in garage -out a few times. The rain was light - more drops than steady rain. A little dust on the car.Not that it would have made a difference, but ONR changed the QD strength to 8ozs. per gallon. You must have had some dirt or grit on the surface when you wiped it. When the car is clean, but a little dusty, I alway's use a duster before QDing. If it's wet, then I hose it down first using the flooding method.

Bunky
11-14-2009, 05:19 PM
This leads to another discussion going on about ONR can be used as a waterless wash. That is, would have using PB's Spray and Wipe or DP's Waterless Wash been safer?

A4 1.8tqm
11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
I alway's use a duster before QDing. If it's wet, then I hose it down first using the flooding method.

+1 Rinse first when wet. If the car is dry, though I don't have a duster, a dedicated large MF drying towel from Walmart can work. I will hold two corners and let half of the towel drape down onto the car. Pull the it across the panel using only the weight of the towel. It's an easy way to remove light dust, feels pretty safe since you don't use any pressure.
Dust/rinse then QD :xyxthumbs:

dublifecrisis
11-14-2009, 08:08 PM
jet black BMW?

Turd Ferguson
11-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Black sapphire metallic. I thought that the ONR has polymers that "encapsulate" any dust so it cannot scratch when gently wiped with a MF cloth. Waterless quick detailing seems like a bad idea with black paint. Or more accurately, I suppose, is that dust or water spot removal with a quick detailer is not the way to go.

What is a quick detailer for, then? Additional shine after the paint has been cleaned?

Rsurfer
11-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Black sapphire metallic. I thought that the ONR has polymers that "encapsulate" any dust so it cannot scratch when gently wiped with a MF cloth. Waterless quick detailing seems like a bad idea with black paint. Or more accurately, I suppose, is that dust or water spot removal with a quick detailer is not the way to go.

What is a quick detailer for, then? Additional shine after the paint has been cleaned?
It certainly doesn't replace a wash!!

Turd Ferguson
11-16-2009, 05:58 AM
I get that a quick detailer doesn't replace a wash. However, the car wasn't dirty: perhaps light dust and a few rain drops. According to this website, ONR will work as a quick detailer to shine and to clean:

Fill up a spray bottle with this mixture and use it to clean and shine your vehicle, just as you would use a traditional detailer. The proprietary polymers bond to the paint surface to protect it from abrasion and micro-marring as you clean.

Maybe I'd best stick to the old rule: nothing touches the car until it has been washed and dried. Thanks all for the responses.:)

cnfowler
11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
...I thought that the ONR has polymers that "encapsulate" any dust so it cannot scratch when gently wiped with a MF cloth...

'Cannot' is a strong word. I think the people at ONR would prefer the phrase 'reduces the chance of scratching or creating micromarring.'

As Mike Phillips has said many times over the years, ANYTHING that touches your paint, ie. MF, cotton, wash mit, brush, clothing, hands, etc. can create paint defects. So it stands to reason that wiping down a vehicle with a quick detailer and MF cloth could create micromarring, scratches, etc.

Colin